An Aztec Game

Fresol

Angry Halfling in Green
An Aztec 600 AD Regent/Normal game played under SVN revision 975.

The three UHV goals for Aztec are:
1. Floating Gardens: Make Tenochtitlan the largest city in the world in 1520 AD.
2. Human Sacrifice: Build 6 pagan temples and sacrificial altars by 1650 AD.
3. European Flower Wars: Enslave 20 Old World units.

The Aztecs start on floodplain plain hill with 4 jaguars, 4 archers and 2 settlers. I settle the capital Tenochtitlan on spot because it's the only choice when aiming for historical victory. The 4 jaguars and 2 flipped dog soldiers move east to conqueror the native cities of Chichen Itza and Yax Mutal. The settler and 2 archers go northeast, wait to settle Teotihuacan once Sailing is researched. Another archer roams the hills to the northwest, to defend against barb dog soldiers.

Take Chichen Itza first, it has the Temple of Kukulkan in it which provides an extra 25% defence for all cities.

I decide to keep the city regardless of its lack of buildings, because of the wonder and settled GP inside. Also Tenochtitlan needs to focus on building the Floating Gardens so there's no time to train settlers.

A bit of luck is needed to take the two cites. The Aztec UP gives a 35% chance to enslave any land unit, and I got one in the process.

Yax Mutal is another sub-optimal city, but it has to do.

With sacrificial altar and the nice modifiers for Aztecs, these two cities with 1 food resouce each actually contribute to our civilization in a decent way.

This is one of the few times I finished an Aztec UHV game, so there may very well be some bad decision-makings/gameplays/strategies you can notice as the game goes along. Feel free to point them out.

I'll be updating later today.

As soon as we have finished researching Sailing, we settle Teotihuacan. Why here? Because it's historical, can work 3 food resources, and does not overlap with Tenochtitlan which needs all the food resources for the popolation goal.

We are researching Metal Casting. Why? Because of this native galley. After pillaging our workboat near Chichen Itza, this galley gets distracted by the founding of Teotihuacan and sails into oblivion... If it ever came back I would send a trireme to sink it.

Our jaguar captures a native worker on his way to contact Inca.

I used my first slave to build plantation on the forest hill dye. Slave plantation no longer destroys forest/rainforest/jungle, so we have this super improvement which provides 4:hammers: and 8:commerce:(a chopped one would provide 3:hammers: and 9:commerce:, slightly weaker and the 0.5:health: from forest deer cannot get added to 1).

Speaking of slaves, the third historical goal requires killing ~60 Old World land units(35% enslave chance).

If it weren't for those dog soldiers which constantly spawn on the mountain 1E, I would've settled this place.

We meet Inca from the other side of Andes. :crazyeye: Actually it's meaningless to meet them now. I'll send the jaguar to Brazil then.

Our other jaguar is exploring North America.

The Floating Gardens is finished in Tenochtitlan. The stone was connected early so we started the wonder right after building a library and a sacrificial altar. The +6:food: bonus is very much needed.

After Metal Casting we research Machinery. With Machinery we can build windmills on the hills around Tenochtitlan.

We have enslaved a barb dog soldier. The slave will be consumed in building another slave plantation.

Our trireme is out. We are safe from the native galley which never appears again.

Crap, the Spanish! :sad: But no conquerors? :mischief:

It's because we met them at the safe spot. :satan: I suppose it's a bug that has pesisted throughout the history of DoC? The eastern tip of Brazil is not considered to be in the Americas, so meeting the Old World civs there do not trigger conqueror events. And another bug is that only the second Old World civ that contacts Aztec brings plague to them, not the first.

We found Olximche to grab the double fish.

This is such a rich spot!

5 cities. We need 1 more for the 2nd historical goal.

So we found Tlatelolco on the cotton. Sacrificial altar is extremely useful to cities with food resources.

Maybe it was a Viking galley!

I guess it was sunk by the Spanish caravel.

After Machinery we can build windmills. We have no iron yet so we can't train crossbowmen.

We found Texcoco/Caracas to grab the pearls.

Before getting longbowmen, we can only defend against the dog soldiers in cities or on hills.

The second historical goal is finished first. Really, religions will begin to spread after 1600 AD so the 1650 deadline is kind of out of place.

NOOOOOO! Our plantation! :mad: The jungle spices can only be improved by using a slave.

We have stability penalty from unhappiness the whole game.

The plague has spreaded into Incan land! The conquerors have arrived! Who are they?

It's the Arabs. Note the year. It's 1520 AD, I'm lucky that I didn't ruin my game by stumbling into meeting the second Old World civ earlier, for it brings plauge to the Aztec cities and may very well make me fail the 1st historical goal.

There's also a Portuguese carrack near Incan land.

The 16-pop Tenochtitlan with windmills and forests.

lvl 16 is just enough to be the most populous city in the world.

Although having only 1 city in core, we can afford much more expansion in the future. The codes reveal that with only 1 city in core, the core population is counted almost double in calculating expansion stability.

The plague has spread in Tlatelolco.

Islam FTW.

Our food rich cities can be good GP farms. We'll save the GPs for Golden Ages later.

We are researching toward Gunpowder. Meanwhile Inca has collapsed.

We adopt Organized Religion+Vassalage+Guilds+Levy Armies civics.

The quest of the master blacksmith. I smell copper! :)

The French have discovered us.

Copper is found right under Olximche.

Meet the Holy Roman Empire.

Forgot to mention I just founded Calixtlahuaca for the iron. But the group of 3 Mohawks! :eek: I'm ready to abandon the city.

But our hero longbowman singlehandedly dispatched them all and even enslaved two of them. :crazyeye: I was wise to keep Chichen Itza in the first place. :D

In year 1600 AD, Catholicism starts to spread in our cities.

In just 1 turn, all of our North American cities have Catholicism inside. And we convert to Catholicism.

You can see England is at war with Spain. Spain converted to Protestantism despite the odds.

A glance at stability.

In Apostolic Palace election we voted for Charles V.

Tlacopan is founded in California.

Circumnavigation in done by the Germans in 1610 AD.

It takes forever for Tlatelolco to spread its culture to cover the desert hill gold, so I built a fort to hurry it up.

Meeting Tibet.

And its master China.

Poland already has Astronomy.

A bit of trading.

We are total barbarians!

Atzcapotzalco is founded. And notice the pirates of the Caribbean!

Meeting the Netherlands.

Go Aztecs!

A historic moment. We are selling Gunpowder to the Portuguese. :p They have Astronomy but not Gunpowder, so this tech trade gives them the Trading Company event.

Tlacopan is not connected to our empire! It's my blunder not to have revealed the map in Baja California peninsula.

Oh Portugal! Friend of the Aztec people!

Slave trade is popular besides human sacrifice.

TzinTzunTzen(what a name) is founded.

France already has Military Science. We also need MS to deal with all the pirates.

We have a surplus(for Golden Age) Great Merchant. We'll sail him to Rome after the barb privateer is taken care of by the European vessels.

The founding of Malinalco.

Meeting Thailand.

Pairs of mounted aliensbraves start to roam North America after 1700 AD. Not even the colonizers(in this case, it's only England) are able to train cuirassiers yet!

They'll pillage some improvements, but they can't take our musketmen-guarded cities.

Great Merchant Cuauhtemoc conducts the first Old World-New World trade mission.

Plauge spreads in Tenochtitlan, our capital.

The new-born Prussians are surely the most advanced civ in the world right now. But somehow we have no trade network connection? Doesn't matter, they are too advanced to ever trade with us.

Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.

France asks for a tribute of 780 gold. No way I'm giving him that.

Our Russian friends are much more adorable.

More trade with them. Our iron mine was destroyed in a combined operation by the mohawks and mounted braves.

Military Science in 1721 AD. We have secured out safety at sea. Next we need Rifling to create a dominant force at land.

What a glorious game! :beer:

It is a pity there still is no an Aztek religion so Azteks, Inca and Maya will become Christians even if they are succesfull.

Tzintzuntzan actually is a real city in Mexico... had to research this out.

But about conqueror-event... did you cheat it out by discovering Spanish in Brazil? Nice loophole btw in rules.

Top Bottom