An End to War

I've heard that war can be prevented via economic interdependence, countries are less likely to declare war on eachother if they are dependent on eachother. See France-Germany after WW2.

Now, I'm not sure if I agree with that, but it'll be interesting to see what CFC thinks about that idea.

WW1 was a situation of economic interdependence to the point that hardly anyone thought war was actually possible.

It looks somewhat like you're trying to say, "It's always somebody else's fault" or possibly "one guy will never blame himself for the fact that he's in a war; he'll always blame the other guy."
Neither. What I tried to say is that it's never YOUR fault--i.e. never Phlegmak's fault. You have never started a war anywhere, and never will. Yet George Bush came along and trampled your civil rights anyway. A bunch of Muslim radicals tried to kill you more than once because you committed the abominable crime of refusing to convert to Islam. And BasketCase (yes, me :D ) has insulted you in Off Topic more than once.

It's not enough for Phlegmak to play nice. Bad and nasty and evil people are still going to come after Phlegmak and try to toast/trample/kill Phlegmak. So Phlegmak has no choice but to go to war to protect himself.

Hence: we will always have war.

And no, the U.S. didn't start the war in Iraq (you mentioned it, not me). Saddam started it--in 1990. After we kicked his ass the first time, he refused to sign a peace treaty. Which means ever since then, we had a blank check to go back in and kick his ass again any time we damn well please.

Warfare has been part of humanity since apes gathered in groups to fight other ape groups. War will evolve to encompass new spatial battlefields. Armies started with soldiers and then warships. After warships came the fighter which then lead to the Aircraft Carrier and then submarines. The cold war brought space warfare. The end of the cold war brought terrorism and cyber warfare. War is now unconventional.

Diplomacy prevents wars. At the end of war is diplomacy. If there was "An End to War" during the last 100 years, there would be no UN or League of Nations.

It's not enough for Phlegmak to play nice. Bad and nasty and evil people are still going to come after Phlegmak and try to toast/trample/kill Phlegmak. So Phlegmak has no choice but to go to war to protect himself.

I can choose not to defend myself.

I've been told (and to some extent believe) that the majority of wars are fought to prove who has the iggest dick. so therefore. they must all be removed.

then since it can't be proven with simple measurement, we shall fight to see who would have had the largest...

If almost all the world renounced war and adopted pacifism, the few who retain their warlike ways will easily dominate them. It's like you and another guy are aiming firearms at one another, or at least, are armed, and the other knows it. If you throw away your weapon, what's going to prevent the other guy from keeping his and using it to dominate you?

Wait, why would pacifism have to involve throwing away weapons? It's not the weapons themselves that are the problem, it's what you do with them.

as long as there are weapons available, there will always be someone who will use them. and are you truly pacifist if you fight with deadly weapons in defense? (which, let's admit it, are going to be needed if someone happens to invade you in force) defending yourself from invasion is well and good, but self-defense always has some ambiguity (best defense is good offense, etc)

I wish. But it is just a fantasy. We will always want to kill each other. We are more animal than we think. At least the Nazis were dead honest about why they were going to war.

I can choose not to defend myself.
You say that in here, but I know it's a lie. This is the Internet, and anybody in here can say pretty much anything.

If somebody broke into your house and placed you and your family in danger, you damn well would beat the crap out of that guy, or kill him. May it never happen--but if it does, I say get out the shotgun and go to town.

You say that in here, but I know it's a lie. This is the Internet, and anybody in here can say pretty much anything.

If somebody broke into your house and placed you and your family in danger, you damn well would beat the crap out of that guy, or kill him. May it never happen--but if it does, I say get out the shotgun and go to town.

Of course. Talk is cheap, and I've never been in a place where I've had to worry about it. But I admit, I might give in to base human instinct and self-defense. But I do know this...I'd never forgive myself afterwords.

I'd never forgive myself afterwords.
What's unforgivable about defending your (and your family's) lives?

Talk is cheap :p you'll get over it.

So, if someone breaks into your house, you're likely to attempt to kill them?

And people wonder why guns shouldn't be in households... :shake:

You seem to be throwing around your intent to kill in the situation too freely. Sure, it's the internet, so you can say that now, but would you really take someone's life to stop your valuables from being pinched?

And I would generally beg to differ about the whole macho-beat-up-intruder thing. If someone threatened me, I wouldn't attempt to fight back, 'cause I know I'd fail. Sure, I might try to deflect some blows, and perhaps go for a knee-->groin, but that is hardly what you are suggesting. To quote:
Not with deadly force,no.

The point of self-defense is to prevent your attacker from harming you, not killing them.

That point seems to be lost on many of the right-wing persuasion. Any crime is an invitation to commit what is essentially first-degree murder, because it is clearly premeditated by their own words.

What's unforgivable about defending your (and your family's) lives?

Talk is cheap :p you'll get over it.

Its one of those religious things so it isn't logical. Judging my your sig, you don;t hold much weight with that so...

Top Bottom