An idea for speed up the game.

Enchanteur

Warlord
Im actualy motivated for playing again this mod. I downloaded last SVN, print options to choose, etc.
One things bother me, it's to wait 1 minute during "end turn".
So I got an idea, but I don't know if it can work.
It's to play solo, but in a multiplayer game, with many AI players.
And then choose "simultaneous turns".
It's like turn by turn but simultaneous. So AI should think and act during I do it too. It's like that work Endless Legend 4x, and it's nice, there is never to wait next turn.
But I didnt still try this. So I don't know if it work.
I will see that later today when coming back home...

Is it really a good idea ?
I don't know how AI play it. Do AI play "simultaneous" ? Or only players ?
If AI play like sequential turn by turn as usual, my idea is not worth it...

I assume that you have the "Minimize AI turn time" BUG option, general tab switched on.

There were (are?) options available to further speed up the time between turns but they stop all the graphics stuff happening and make it look like the game has frozen.

There is not much multi-threading in the code so I expect they take their turns in sequence

It works. We tried to explain to people who complain about turn times to do this a while back... just start an IP multiplayer game and set to having one player and simultaneous turns and it works like a charm to pretty much eliminate turn times because they are taking their turn at the same time you are. And there's an almost Realtime strategy element that it introduces that can be kinda fun in itself.

It works. We tried to explain to people who complain about turn times to do this a while back... just start an IP multiplayer game and set to having one player and simultaneous turns and it works like a charm to pretty much eliminate turn times because they are taking their turn at the same time you are. And there's an almost Realtime strategy element that it introduces that can be kinda fun in itself.
Hate the term "Real time strategy"! Who has a spare 3,000 years plus to play it in real time :D.

Hi,
As Iam playing actualy with that, i choosed a giant world with 16 AI players + me.
During my turn, I see a game message "awaiting others civilisations". So I presume this trick work well, the AI play their turn during mine.
I choosed LAN multiplayer game.
So, it's perfect. This sort of turn by turn with a salt of "simultaneus" bother me far less than waiting end turn.
Thank for your confirmation.

Hi, I tried this method but I do not feel that it speeder...
However I think I have a bug (this is my first multiplayer game), when I finish to research a technology the screen does not appear so I can't read the new buildings, units and other.
What can I do for that ?

Hi, I tried this method but I do not feel that it speeder...
However I think I have a bug (this is my first multiplayer game), when I finish to research a technology the screen does not appear so I can't read the new buildings, units and other.
What can I do for that ?
Not a bug. It doesn't come up on MP games.

Thank for answer.
Can I do something for change that ? It's realy bad for immersion.
At worst can I turn my multi-game to solo-game ? Because I think it not really speed my game.

Thank for answer.
At worst can I turn my multi-game to solo-game ? Because I think it not really speed my game.
I think you can if you save it to World Builder and then play the save as a scenario.

Please also realize this is a 32 bit single core engine the game uses. It will Never ever be "speedy". Plus it's a Turn based game. It will never use more than 3+GB of memory and Cpu speed is the Most important aspect. A 2.8 or higher (preferably higher than 3.2) Ghz cpu will help on turn processing. Plus high bus speed and speed of memory.

CPU priority too I suppose ?
Yes I know limitation 32 bit single core, but it was a good idea to try simultaneous turn, so bad it change nothing...

Thank for answer.
1) If you can program you can do amazing things.
2) A multi-player game cannot be converted to a solo game.
3) If you are taking quick turns and automating a lot then you would not be getting much benefit from overlapping the time it takes you to take your turn and the times it's taking the AI to take theirs. Later in the game the AI should be much faster than you. But again, it often depends on how efficient you are at taking the turn. If all buildings are queued and units are automated and so on, you'll always outpace the AI (in fact you're dragging the AI into further processing by automating.)

This is a major improvement, but It would be cool to have this implemented in single-player. While turntime is more important than Worldbuilder, I worry that multiplayer games are harder to debug for the C2C team.

This is a major improvement, but It would be cool to have this implemented in single-player. While turntime is more important than Worldbuilder, I worry that multiplayer games are harder to debug for the C2C team.
Worldbuilder is the main reason it can sometimes be harder. Otherwise, I CAN run the debug dll against a multiplayer game so long as I know that's what it is.

Top Bottom