An idea for the Luchiruip, sea golems

smjjames

Emperor
Well this is an idea I had a few days ago but decided to think about it as I wasn't sure. Anyways, my idea is that the Luci (I'll use this for short for Lucichurip) could have a golem that can only operate on water. I don't mean a wood golem that floats as that would be like giving a ship the golem promotion. Which would be like giving the ship a small amount of intelligence and I'm sure even a semi-mindless golem might complain about people crawling around in it's 'insides', or even do things that would be utterly stupid.

I thought maybe a golem made out of seaweed or maybe coral and have it be of some form that requires it to be in water to retain it's form or for some othe reason. Although it's really not like the Luci to place this kind of imperfection in thier golems.

I know it's not a very well put together idea, but what do you guys think? I did think of the fact that this might make the luci unbalanced, but it's a concept.

Also, the name sea golems is just a 'working title', I'm sure we can think of more appropriate names.

and how is that not like giving a ship the golem promotion, exactly?

Wood golems floating would actually be different... they'd be amphibious and wouldn't have carry capacity.

So, essentially, you criticized something to which your criticism doesn't apply, while suggesting something to which it does. Smooth.

not a ship, but rather a mechanical fish? Sounds nice, but to be honest it would still be a ship with a golemn promotion and different graphics.

and how is that not like giving a ship the golem promotion, exactly?

Wood golems floating would actually be different... they'd be amphibious and wouldn't have carry capacity.

So, essentially, you criticized something to which your criticism doesn't apply, while suggesting something to which it does. Smooth.

I did say that it wasn't a well put together idea. I think I was trying to say that I didn't want it to end up bieng some ship graphic with the golem promotion.

Still, it's a vague idea that needs fleshing out, which is kind of the problem here.

I was probably thinking of something more along the lines of an unit with native (as in it's built with it) water walking ability and maybe some kind of buff for water terrain or just a de-buff for all terrain except coastal and water which would emphasize it's strength in water.

A mechanical fish that only the Luchurip have sounds like a submarine type unit, which honestly would end up bieng too powerful unless you had anti-sub abilities on other units or just made it not be invisible like a sub. I wonder what Kael would think of this whole idea.

Well, the Golems are mostly the Luchiurp replacements for melee units, not sea units.

If anything, I'd like to see the following:

Wooden golems can move across water tiles, but suffer -75% combat strength while doing so - they're not suited to anti-ship or anti-sealife combat. On the plus side, they lose their fire vulnerability while in the water.

Metal golems can move invisibly across the seafloor, and even beneath sea ice, but cannot fight and have a 25% to gain the 'rust' promotion every turn spent down there, or be slightly damaged if already rusted - they also don't heal naturally underwater, making long walks costly.

Barnaxus, while immune to the rust and damage, is treated as dead for golem empowerment purposes while submerged - he's not doing much good down there. (And it makes hiding him underwater a less obviously great solution.)

Balanced? Probably not. Flavourful? Certainly!

Possible? I doubt it.

Well, at least without making some serious coding changes, probably requiring hardcoding in the SDK, and/or adding several new python functions that can slow the game down considerably. I don't think it is worth it.

If golems were given waterwalking, I think that they (like the Drown) would have to be limited to moving on coasts.

Perhaps a tier 4 submarine type unit would be an interesting unit for the Luchuirp? I like to think their interest in technology isn't simply limited to golems.

I like the idea of a Salt Golem.

"Forged from the sea, the Salt Golem renews itself in the bitter waters and tirelessly marches over the waves in defense of the Luchuirp kingdom."

Modmod thread, download.

Until it dissolves in the water anyway, unless they use some kind of spell to keep it solid.

While it does go with my idea, a salt golem doesn't seem like it would be particularily powerful. but heck, a salt golem is a workable idea.

Until it dissolves in the water anyway, unless they use some kind of spell to keep it solid.

I think it not unlikely that the master enchanters of the Luchurip have some kind of spell that'd do that. And while rock salt will certainly dissolve far, far faster than even limestone it's not terribly quick, either. The unit is also supposed to constantly "renew" itself.

While it does go with my idea, a salt golem doesn't seem like it would be particularily powerful.

I agree. But its targets - ships - are wood. Rock salt is naturally softer than a hard wood but I don't think it'd take much magic to make it significantly harder. I figure they approach a ship and then start ripping it up below the water-line.

"Approach a ship" might be the hard part. They'll either need to sprint very quickly, submerge themselves in the ship's path, or use some combination of the two.

I justify much of the combat strength by assuming that ships have a relatively difficult time dealing Salt Golems. They're low in the water, tough and powerful for thier size (difficult target but a lot of power at a point) and they may be able to evade attack under water.

It might be better to make them cheaper and lower the stats, though.

coral on the other hand would grow and renew itself.

Natural replacement rate wouldn't help much. OTOH, there is always an "unatural replacement rate" available via magic... and I think salt works better for that.

Coral does have some very good points to it though. Like points. It's also harder. A "spiky" golem mesh would be cool.

OTOH, Death and Chaos magic are fairly often used near each other. There's the danger that such magics used near a coral golem would interact unpredictably with the Luchurip enchantment and the tiny polyps would become giant mutant undead polyps and a tremendous horde of Brobdingnagian mutant undead coral berserker golems would spawn and destroy the world.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Anyway.... I still prefer salt. :)

Mutant undead coral berserker golems - love it! Something Perpentach would love too.

The luchuirp are one of my favorite races, I love how the dwarves are bassically Golems themselves. Created in the form of man and given life by a god.

This thread got me thinking - so here's my three cents worth.

Two concepts of a golem:
a) A mechanical being - couldn't you just change the Frigate to a 'Sea Golem' for the Luchuirp? This may actually be a hindrance for the Luchuirp since they couldn't get promotions.

In the same vein - how about something like the Nautilus - maybe a hero unit that comes in about the time as the Man'O War. Let it start with fireballs! Luchuirp only. Since this would be a mechanical and Dwarf team - they should get promotions.

b) Clay or dust animated with a written word or a parchment - Wasn't there a sci-fi movie with animated water (the Abyss?)? You could justify this as an instruction in cased in a cylider placed in the middle of a sea-water jello creature - probablly only good for dragging ships to the depths - no bombard ability - hidden - no cargo ability.

Sort of Knox Blocks Golems.

BTW - fantastic game and incredible forum!

Top Bottom