1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

An Illustrated History of the Noyyau

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Noyyau, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

He has caravels, and I have... galleys? :rolleyes:

He's definitely in the Medieval era, probably in the middle of it or so, and I'm still at the final part of the Classical age.
    Have a bit of patience until the next part, where I trade a bit with him so you'll see who has what.

2. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

Awesome cliffhanger.

3. Sanguivorant

Sanguivorant Submitter

I am really liking this story. I like it because you have suffered some losses and still continue to play. Most other stories do not have many losses, which makes this one very interesting.

4. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Hear, hear! +1 with many many noughts! :goodjob:

5. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Due to geographical considerations, Silver Hills was chosen as a secondary government center. The town had come a long way since the first silver mining camps, and even with the recent disorders it was clearly on the way to become a great city.
    Spoiler :

Many workers, virtually all of them of minorities “integrated” into the Great Noyyau Kingdom, emigrated to Mali lands, under conditions that were indentured servitude in all but name. Their hope was for the Malinese to be better masters than the Noyyau. If they could have had but a glimpse of what the future had in store for their descendants, though, nobody would have left the continent.
    In return for such a workforce, the Mali Republic shared several hundred scrolls of assorted knowledge with the backwards (compared to them) Noyyau.
    Spoiler :

The sudden influx of foreign knowledge made the Noyyau society change, faster than anyone expected. The worker emigration and the technological trades are another popular point in time to subdivide Noyyau history, between what many call “Classical” and “Medieval” eras.

Of note, a rational system for music notation obtained from the Malinese quickly gained popularity, and it wasn't long before a Royal Noyyau Anthem was played at all official ceremonies.
    Here's a modern rendition, still true to the original.
    Noyyau Anthem
    Spoiler :

Through the Malinese, the Noyyau began meeting other peoples as well, though it all happened under Mali supervision in their embassies. Noyyau ships had yet to lose sight of Noyyau coasts, so the lay of the rest of the world was still unknown. Only the location of the Malinese capital had been inferred through small talk with the sailors.
    Spoiler :

The most fundamental change in Noyyau government occurred in Turn 543, in quite an unexpected manner. The patricians and rich merchants that had moved to the western provinces, following their commercial interests, used their contacts in the recently established “Forbidden Palace” (as the secondary government center was known) in Silver Hills to threaten secession of the whole western half of the Kingdom, all lands that had been conquered by the REX, if their demands for a more representative form of government would not be met. This preposterous ultimatum was only a pretext to obtain tax breaks during the actual negotiations that they expected would take place.
    At first no one could actually believe that the monarch, who gained the title of Last King, accepted the terms and chose to abdicate, on the condition that the transition from monarchy to republic would be a peaceful and regulated one. During one hectic Turn, laws were drafted and elections held.
    At the first dawn of Turn 544, Francis Raynor IV, the Last King of the Great Noyyau Kingdom, solemnly abdicated from the throne and the Noyyau Republic was born.
    Spoiler :

6. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

I like the Noyyau Anthem.

7. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Emigration continued. The workers often sent money and wrote letters about the unusual habits of their foreign masters employers.
    Spoiler :

While the Noyyau Republic was still busy settling its own continent, with Gysahl being the first settlement in the former English peninsula, the Mali were so advanced that their ships were able to circumnavigate the entire world.
    Spoiler :

Author's note: at this point I realized the reason no religions had appeared: among the options at the game start I had activated “Divine Prophets”, which makes religions founded by Great Priests. Only I never saw that option with a GP, this function is probably incomplete anyway, hence why it was hidden in the first place... So I opened the WorldBuilder and gave a holy city to each of the largest civilizations. I took Hellenism, Mansa is now Muslim, the Hittites believe in Zoroastrianism, and a couple more we'll see later on.

The Feudal Revolution was a period of social instability and shifting local power. The land owners in the conquered provinces had become ever richer, and resented their little voice in government matters, as most of the seats in the Senate were assigned to the historical Noyyau core cities.
    The progressive decentralization of power, especially in regard to local administration, was not a simple process, hampered by the Senate in Robertia and the so called “colonial barons” in the Forbidden Palace in Silver Hills.
    Independently from the political turmoil, the ancestral polytheistic religion the Noyyau worshiped since the dawn of time had finally been organized in what we call Hellenism and Robertia was declared to be its holy city.
    Soon, zealous Hellenists were to be found in several administrative posts, steering the State towards practices in line with the will of the gods.
    When the Feudal Revolution was finally over, the Noyyau Republic officially adopted Hellenism as its state religion.
    Spoiler :

With the world at peace and the Feudal Revolution over, most of the REX was demobilized or given garrison duty. One of its famed commanders returned to his home city of Aachen.
    Spoiler :

Turn 591 saw the long awaited settling of the last wild frontier on the Noyyau continent: Highwind and Mideel were the last paragraph in a long history of expansion.
    Spoiler :

Robertia was the greatest city in the world (at least according to the Noyyau). Great temples were built to honor the gods.
    Spoiler :

Advances in metallurgy led to the discovery of a steel making process that allowed the creation of incredibly durable items.
    Spoiler :

8. Moai_Spammer

Moai_Spammer Nihilandros

yay, update!

9. GreekAnalyzer

GreekAnalyzer Back from the Dead

All hail hellenist noyyau!

10. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Contact with foreign peoples brought to Noyyau lands new and strange knowledge. In Turn 611 a cabal of Hittite alchemists escaped persecution and found refuge in Silver Hills, which was already on its way to become a great center of knowledge. These alchemists, though often victim of prejudice for their secretive (and smelly) practices, nevertheless quickly became the providers of several useful concoctions, which nowadays would be called “chemical commodities”.
    Spoiler :

In Turn 614 the Hittite government asked the Noyyau Republic to join their war against the small Egyptian Kingdom. This was a strange request, as the Hittites knew the Noyyau were yet unable to cross the oceans that separated their respective continents, and indeed had no idea where Egypt even was. War was declared, simply to please the powerful Hittite Republic, as it was deemed quite unlikely that Egypt would even be capable of retaliating. In any case, this war was a mere formality, as a few Turns later both Noyyau and Egypt agreed to a cease fire.
    Spoiler :

Meanwhile, in internal matters, Gysahl had received substantial funds to try and kickstart large scale lumbering operations on Chocobo Island, across a narrow sea strait from the town.
    Spoiler :

Finally, in Turn 624, the objective set ever since encountering that first Malinese caravel had been reached: developing a ship able to cross the oceans. This was the turning point between the Intra- and Inter-Continental Eras. The Noyyau were on the verge of, quite literally, widening their worldview.
    Spoiler :

Author's note:
    Spoiler :
    The Galeazza, as you see it and as I've used it, is somewhat misplaced. It should be a replacement for the Galleass, rather than the Caravel, as the Venetians were masters of the Mediterranean but did not really venture in the oceans. Alas, I did not pay attention to these details at the time I played. The mod I took the Galeazza from was based on vanilla BtS, and not for AND (which I'm using), that introduces the Galleass. If and when I'll start a new game, with a new revision of AND, this will be corrected.

While the Arsenal in Robertia was gearing towards the production of the first ever Noyyau ocean-capable vessel, corruption in Highwind, the most recent and most distant Noyyau settlement, was rampant, and led to popular revolts to have the local governor removed.
    Spoiler :

A generation after the first alchemists immigrated to Silver Hill, the patriarch of one of the most successful cabals, known as Plato, inaugurated what he called the Academy, causing much debate among the alchemist cabals: the Academy was open to students from any social class, not just from the alchemist enclave, and even had provisions to allow free room and board to those students too poor to support themselves but showing promise in their studies.
    Spoiler :

Oceanic exploration began in earnest. Almost every ship leaving Robertia carried entrepreneurs, eager to establish lucrative trade routes, bringing Noyyau goods to foreign markets and exotic novelties back to the homeland.
    Spoiler :

The beginning of the oceanic explorations, ever increasing foreign trade and new scientific discoveries marked the beginning of the Second Noyyau Golden Age.
    Most of the day-to-day government was done by a class of bureaucrats, as no single governor was able to do everything anymore, such was the increase in population and trade. And most patricians were too busy managing their own commercial enterprises anyway.
    It had also been a long time since the Noyyau had to actually fight anyone. All of the existing military formations had grown smaller over time, having only thieves and the occasional murder to worry about.
    The future was bright and full of hope.
    Spoiler :

In Turn 635, in a mine that was about to be considered depleted, a lucky miner swung his pick, but instead of another fragment of rock, he struck what he quickly recognized as gold. Soon enough, it was confirmed that a new vein of the precious metal had been uncovered.
    Spoiler :

Unfortunately, oceanic trade did not bring only wealth and knowledge. Rats had always been a problem on ships, but now that ships called in foreign ports, they brought with themselves new parasites as well. While sailors were quite resistant to infections (the ones that survived, anyway), soon after a galeazza returned to Robertia in Turn 637 the city found itself besieged by a terrible and invisible enemy: the plague.
    In the course of a short and at the same time interminable month, tens of thousand of people were infected and died. Bodies were constantly thrown on ever burning funeral pires.
    Spoiler :

Social order was on the verge of breaking down, and to avoid descending into anarchy and revolts, military units in the capital were reinforced with recruits from all over the Republic.
    Spoiler :

Just as it seemed that the epidemy had finally run its course in Robertia, Sarakhsa and Sherwood were also struck by the pestilence, probably brought there by refugees from Robertia.
    Spoiler :

Across the Noyyau Strait, the Indian subcontinent had been explored and a permanent trade emporium established in its capital, Delhi.
    Spoiler :

In Turn 642 the Hittites once again asked for Noyyau participation in one of their conflicts. Again, the Noyyau agreed, not even bothering to ask where the enemy's single city was.
    Spoiler :

With the menace of the plague hanging over the Noyyau, patricians across the Republic returned their attention to government affairs, to protect their interests and families rather than the people in general, but they still implemented quaratine periods and mandatory inspections for ships returning from transoceanic voyages.
    Spoiler :

In other news, in Turn 651 the Sumerians were annexed by the Hittite, relieving the Noyyau of the effort to try and contact them.
    Spoiler :

A couple of Turns later, it was the Malinese's turn to ask Noyyau participation in a phony war. The Zulu were a larger nation than the previous two “enemies”, and some patricians objected as their economical interests would be damaged. Ultimately though the Zulu were only one of several civilizations of the Everon continent to the East, and war was declared.
    As it was becoming usual, no actual fighting was expected.
    Spoiler :

The unbelievable happened just as Turn 658 gave way to Turn 659, shattering the optimistic outlook on life that the recent generations of Noyyau had grown accustomed to.
    For the first time since the REX finished the conquest of the Noyyau continent, Noyyau lives were lost to foreign aggression, and armed strangers approached Noyyau cities with murderous intent.
    Only now they came from farther away, on ships dwarfing the largest galeazza, and they came from the same place that the fateful First Contact caravel came so long ago: the Malinese Republic had all of a sudden and without apparent reason declared war. Thus began the First Noyyau-Mali Conflict.
    On a side note, Egypt also joined in, but no one in the Noyyau Republic noticed.
    Spoiler :

11. Moai_Spammer

Moai_Spammer Nihilandros

Aw snap

12. pole475

pole475 The Blinding Light

Duhn. Dun. Dunnnnnnnnnn. (Creepy music in background)

13. GreekAnalyzer

GreekAnalyzer Back from the Dead

The Noyyau must regain their warlike heritage!

14. baseballpie

baseballpie Deity

"Peaceful" Republic of Mali

15. Moai_Spammer

Moai_Spammer Nihilandros

well, if you think about, war is like peace, but instead of progressing your society, you're killing, maiming, and destroying what took centuries, if not millennium to make.

...wait...
    Spoiler :
    WARGERMOMGGERGERMONGWAR
    translation: kill those malinese dogs!

16. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Such unprovoked aggression will not be forgotten, that is for sure.

But first, the Noyyau need to survive against a technologically superior foe!
    Will they?

17. Moai_Spammer

Moai_Spammer Nihilandros

the mighty spear conquers all!:spear:
    Spoiler :
    If the ai could actually do military strategy, and you shared a continent, then you would be screwed, as is, unless you forget to make sacrifices to the RNG god, you should be ok

18. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

One of the reasons I almost always try get my continent all for myself! :)

In other games I saw AIs actually wage a decent war across a sea, and in an Archipelago-ish map they just loved unloading SoDs on my small island colonies and wiping them out.

This time... you'll see as soon as I post the next part! ;)

19. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

As soon as news of the war declaration were confirmed, the Noyyau Government convened in an emergency session. The President of the Republic, Sir W. Churchill, gave this historical speech to bolster the nation's morale:
    Spoiler :

“[...] Turning once again, and this time more generally, to the question of invasion, I would observe that there has never been a period in all these long centuries of which we boast when an absolute guarantee against invasion, still less against serious raids, could have been given to our people. In the days of the Kingdom, and in the ancient times before that, there was always the chance, if not of outright foreign aggression, of barbaric raids, and it is that chance which has excited and frightened the imaginations of many. Many are the tales that are told. We are assured that novel methods will be adopted, and when we see the originality of malice, the ingenuity of aggression, which our enemy displays, we may certainly prepare ourselves for every kind of novel stratagem and every kind of brutal and treacherous manœuvre. I think that no idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered and viewed with a searching, but at the same time, I hope, with a steady eye. We must obtain the solid assurances of superior sea power.

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once more able to defend our island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of the Noyyau Republican Government – every man of them. That is the will of the Senate and the nation. The Noyyau Republic will defend to the death its native soil, its citizens aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the forests and jungles, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this continent or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then we would still carry on the struggle, until, in the Gods' good time, we shall rescue and the liberate all of our nation.
    It is not the first time we have faced apparently overwhelming odds, and it shall not be the first time that we have failed to overcome those odds, no matter how low. Scores of our enemies litter the pages of history, yet it is us talking about them, and not the other way around. [...]”

The vanguard Mali troops disembarked near Saraksha. The surrounding jungles saw the first invaders on Noyyau soil since centuries. The Noyyau defenders, led through the jungles by local hunters and trappers, ambushed their foes and returned to Saraksha victorious, but it was just the first battle.
    Spoiler :

More Mali were on their way than the Noyyau could imagine. The ships that were in the area tried to stop the massive Mali fleets, but the Malinese galleons were too strong, and too many.
    Spoiler :

After the Mali Galleons a fleet of Sloops and Brigandines followed, with the objective of blockading the Noyyau continent and bombard shore defenses.
    To counterattack possible large stacks, the Noyyau Defense Force was organized, formed in large part by units tracing their lineage back to the famed REX.
    Spoiler :

Scared by the massive Mali navy, more workers emigrated to the Hittite Commonwealth, whose ships were allowed passage by the Mali, as they were neutral to each other.
    Spoiler :

Though not originally developed for that purpose, crossbow volleys proved to be useful against Mali vessels coming too close to the shore. Unfortunately, crossbowmen had to be in massed formations to be of any effect, limiting the practicality of this technique.
    Spoiler :

20. Moai_Spammer

Moai_Spammer Nihilandros

quite a fight mali is putting up