An interesting situation...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Cabay Jet, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Cabay Jet

Cabay Jet Warlord

I'd like to know how one would go about disbanding a city. To put things simply: I put a city in an area surrounded by ice/tundra so I could take advantage of the nearby whale and silver resources. However, I discovered iron working the turn after I built the city. And to my complete horror an iron resource popped up under my city! I've included a screen shot of the situation for you.

Any help?

Attached Files:

2. Weird Piggy

Weird Piggy Chieftain

Gift it to the oppontent who is farthest away..

3. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Deity

you can't disband a city. Except by worldbuilder obv ;)

4. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Look in the top right, your iron is already connected. ;)

5. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

You can't disband the city, unfortunately.

But the good news is that resources are automatically connected when they're "under" a city! So it isn't a problem at all, unless you wanted to work the iron. (Which you probably won't want to do for awhile, if ever, anyway - just work the silver if you want to stop the city from growing)

6. LionQ

LionQ Noble

As described by others above, it's not that much of a problem, unless you desperately want to improve the tile with a Worker. I've had the Horses resource revealed under my second city quite a lot of times.

7. frob2900

frob2900 Deity

The iron is connected. The city will never be stellar, but since you are playing either Lizzy or Vicky (financial), it won't be a complete and utter suckfest. Grow it until its working all sea tiles (a lighthouse is very, very important here) and then work the silver mine.

You should at least be making a nice profit compared to the :gold: for maintenance, and you are getting +2 :) (whale, silver) and an extra iron. Not bad.

8. Cabay Jet

Cabay Jet Warlord

What that screen shot doesn't tell you is that my capitol already has an iron mine within its city radius. I've got two iron resources including the one that popped up under that city and I'm beginning to think that 1E would be a better spot for the city to work that fur resource up near the top of the screen and the silver/iron resources.

Of course, if happiness is what I'm after I can build a fort on that silver without cultural influence, in which case 1N would be a better choice for iron/whale/fur.

I miss Civ II where building a settler took away one population point and disbanded your city if it was already 1 in size. *sniff*

Yes, I'm Elizabeth with Philosophical/Financial. I'm experimenting with getting the most amount of money possible out of corporations and I wanted Philosophical to get as many great people as I could and Financial for a good strong Wall Street city. As an unintended side effect, the English also have the stock exchange (bank) as their UB. One of those should make my Wall Street city about 15% better. ;)

I don't like the starting position I got. I got bottlenecked by Justinian when I still had only three cities and I can't get anywhere militarily. I'm thinking of ditching this game since I got stuck on the end of the continent with ice and Justinian as my only company and I never managed to get a good spot for my Wall Street city.

9. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

The stock exchange has definitely become a strong UB thanks to the corporations. Lizzie was good leader to start with, but she's easily one of the best in BtS.

Disbanding a city is extremely awkward to do (with gifting/razing options it is effectively possible), but there's no real point in this case. The iron's connected, and the city will never have enough surplus food to use it and the silver even if you were able to mine it. - At least not unless you use corporations. More effort than it's worth to move this city really.

10. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Instead of disbanding, isn't there a way to just turn it into a colony?

11. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

From the minimap it looks like it's on the same landmass as the rest of his civ, so no he won't be able to.

12. Cabay Jet

Cabay Jet Warlord

No, it has to be on another continent in order to do that.

I got a little bit angry with the place the RNG placed me in (On the end of a God forsaken continent with ice and few resources) and started a new game as Elizabeth again. I was amazed when I found a city site with 4 gold within its radius and built a city there as my Wall Street city. Then I founded Judaism and my Wall Street city became its holy city. With a great shrine, Civilized Jewelers, Cereal Mills, Creative constructions and Aluminum Co. planned to be built there it's going to make an excellent Wall Street city even without corporations. (I've got a Great Prophet on the way to the city to build a great shrine and I've got a great artist saved up in my capitol. Great timing too: He was my last one) I managed to build the Pyramids and the Shwedon Papya (? The one that makes all the religion civics available) in my capitol and now I'm churning out great engineers and scientists at an astounding rate with Representation and Pacifism. I've buried Justinian and Mao Zedong technology wise and as soon as I get corporations they're going to be my little corporate guinea pigs. *snicker* *snicker*

Sorry about the long post without breaks.

13. Sarek

Sarek Logical

Not sure what the rest of the map in the area involves, but put a fort on one the squares adjacent to the other body of water and you have a nice little canal (if you need one or cannot get around the ice at the bottom).

14. Cabay Jet

Cabay Jet Warlord

I've done away with that game. I'm now aiming to setting an all time record for the amount of gold being churned out in one city. Anybody happen to know what the current record is?

15. Cabay Jet

Cabay Jet Warlord

Alright, sorry 'bout the double post, but I felt that I had to share this with everyone:

Right now, without Wall Street, the city is making 110 gold per turn. Mostly its coming from the Temple of Solomon, and as soon as I research biology I'll be able to work that uranium and gold tile for an extra 5 gold. I don't know what will happen as soon as I get the corporate HQs and Wall Street in, but right now Mao Zedong and Willem of the Dutch are the only civilizations running Free Market, and I plan to capitalize on that as soon as I get the appropriate tech for starting these corporations.