1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

An issue with Fathers

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by obsolete, Sep 27, 2008.

1. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

A few things I don't quite understand yet.

It seems the majority default of my POINTS are set on explorer. I've tried to change this, but I can't find the option. I know how to BUILD extra points for say, Military, but how do I change the default, or is this not an option?

Another thing I've noticed is that if I choose NOT to accept a certain father when available, it seems I can't find a way to SELECT him later on, no matter how many points I have.

2. Kraftster

Kraftster Chieftain

My understanding is as follows:

Points accumulate for everything, there is no setting -- exploration, military, trade, and religion all accumulate from the get go. You'll notice exploration FF first often times because that's where you'll get a lot of points early. The big key is political points. To get a FF you need your specific points (exploration, military, etc.) as well as a the number of political points required for that FF (the top line on the charts). Taking a FF resets your political points and you'll start fresh for the top line again. Or, you can opt to skip the FF to access later FFs of a particular type, however, skipping a FF when he offers to join means that you will never be able to get that FF again.

3. Dale

Dale Chieftain

You get exploration points for uncovering FoW and meeting new races.
    You get religious points for crosses generated.
    You get trade points for every trade action (buy/sell).
    You get military points for every combat.
    You get politics points for bells generated.

4. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

I don't like that every FF is a one shot take it or leave it. It means you can't shoot for late FFs early unless you want to sacrifice ALOT.
    Getting them all in order quickly to still receive some late ones by the midgame doesn't seem feasible due to the REF system since that would be a killer on you during the WOI.

I think you should at least get asked twice or asked if every AI rejects him as well at least so that he starts over then (heh will the AI actually ever reject a FF though? I have no idea..)

Edit on Dale's comment: You also get religious points for establishing missions.. all the info is in the badly named civilopedia (what happened to colopedia?)

5. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Oh yeah, forgot missions. Thanks. :)

I think that it's in line with the feeling that, if someone asks to join your congress with an idea (a founding father) and you laugh at them and knock them back, they'll never come back and ask again because you humiliated them. ;)

6. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

How about my suggestion that they at least come back if all AI rejects them (can AI's reject FFs? :mischief:).
    After all, beggars can't be choosers.

7. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

That really is a ****** game mechanic to prevent beeline then catch-up on the fathers.

Really sucks to go for your favourite leader, find out your a bit too late, and then suddenly you are not allowed to backtrack and catch some of the goodies you flew over.

Nonsense...