An old discovery i had stumbled upon regarding city gfx

Here is the file I used... I will from now on use super cities... there is no need not to...

Attachments

• rAMER.PCX
    219.3 KB · Views: 59
I don't know about the other graphics. But terrain gets chopped off. At least that's my experience in trying to make new graphics.

EDIT: Here's an idea sparker: Stalingrad. The Germans are taking the suburbs. The city graphic is actually covering the 8 tiles which are still terrain. So use LM terrain to simulate the values suburbs would add to the city.

Yes, it does work perfect... as was said, units always show up 'on top' of the city graphic, so for some things this is good, such as city graphics with no massive skyscrapers or towers. For things that 'tower up into the air', it's not good, because the unit still appears on top; as if it is climbing up the building.

I suppose the graphic size is unlimited also (to certain extents at least), so landmark terrain features can be put into scenarios using a city on the very side of the screen or something, and using an absolutely huge graphic size. If you want the Grand Canyon somewhere, can be done. This should be very interesting to add some eye candy.

Tom

What if you clear the fog of war beforehand?

Except, you have to "know" the city is there to see the graphic...

That's right :lol: Forgot about that.

I suppose in scenarios, the fog would have to be uncovered for that specific city, and city would have to be safe from attack; used just as a graphical eye candy spectacle.

Of course, you wouldn't have to actually be in view of the city, as long as fog is not there, should be fine.

Hence, a nature civ, could provide an overlay landscape of sorts.

Tom

And to protect from attack you can allow cities on coast and use an inland sea to ensure no land units could step foot in the "City"

Im happy that i was a crucial paragon in this discovery :) I just tested it myself, and there doesnt seem to be any problem with units hiding in the city gfx.

My new cities will be 1,5 times larger than the old, keeping of course the same level of detail. Now i am free to create more elaborate and grand designs :)

Waait! Only make the 'metropolis' stage larger than a tile. Small cities should still be small.

That could be a good idea too. I think that the cities will gain size mostly vertically, as the AOW ones. In other words the city will be built into a mount/hill. Perhaps in layers, so that the absolute heart of it can be fortified too.

Hmmmm. A fortress terrain could have a moat dug into adjacent squares, thus explaining why it has a defensive bonus...

Which means you can have cities occupying more than one tile. A very obvious example is Constantinople, which could stretch across the sea and be a single city.

Seems any size works fine... I extended the size to be huge, and the cities were huge.

All you have to do is an image resize of the city PCX to whatever you want. The larger area can be used to put whatever you want in there... Grand Canyon, the Moon, a whole city scene overlay, etc.

This is HUGE for scenarios... as long as the city can be seen (unshrouded, but can be in fog (doesn't need to be directly in sight by a unit), then you can use special cities on the edge of the map to put special terrain features where ever you want.

I made sure I did a resize with the appropriate scale of width to height staying the same.. not sure what happens if you change this.

Thanks goes to Varwnos! And you found it years ago??? ;)

Tom

Has occupying any of the extra tiles any effect on it or is it merely a graphics overlay? If the tile occupied several tiles and all had to be defended it'd have a huge potential.

Any Size will work because it is a Graphics Overlay. So for example the Height can be kept the same and the Width made much wider.
As for the area of Control, that remains the same so for example another CIV Unit could Run into what appears to be another CIVs Building or City and Not be Trespassing.
In other words, the Graphics can be changed to show as desired but the Game area for a City will remain Unchanged... so that should be taken under consideration or strange things will be observed in game :)

Top Bottom