1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anarchy only lasts one turn on lower difficulties?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by drahnier, Jan 3, 2006.

1. drahnier

drahnier Chieftain

I've only played as high as the third difficulty so far, and i noticed that whatever you change to, the anarchy only seems to last for one turn, which makes the spiritual leader trait totally useless.

So is it supposed to be like this, and how long does the anarchy usually last on the higher difficulties?
    Long enough to make spiritual a good strength?

2. ArmorPierce

ArmorPierce Warlord

on marathon it lasts for several turns depending on how many thing syou changing.

3. robaughjr

robaughjr Warlord

Depends on how many civics you change at the same time, I've gotten it as high a 3 turns on that level with multiple changes.

4. drahnier

drahnier Chieftain

Well 3 turns is still pretty much nothing.

That doesn't seem like a major disadvantage.

Edit: Especially since there's no civil disorder this time, where the angry mob tears down your buildings.

5. robaughjr

robaughjr Warlord

Whereas in civ3 you changed the entire government, in civ4 you only change small parts, so the anarchy would not last as long. Anarchy in civ4, even if extended, wouldn't hurt as much as in past games since your production/growth is not completely stopped anymore.

6. drahnier

drahnier Chieftain

Exactly, that's why spiritual seems like a pretty useless trait.

I mean, you don't sit around changing your civics back and forth all the time during a game.

7. ghen

ghen Chieftain

spiritual might seem useless, but changing civics and religions on the fly can be extremely beneficial to micromanaging your country. Expecially in the early game, switching religions whenever a new one takes hold in a city, or you found a new religion.

With civics micromanaging and cheap temples the religious trait can definitely be a game winner.

8. robaughjr

robaughjr Warlord

I haven't gotten above warlord yet, but I would guess that the number of turns increases in higher levels. Spiritual works well if you have someone suddenly attack you. You can switch to police state/theocracy without bogging down your army production.

9. ghen

ghen Chieftain

no change at prince or monarch AFAIK.

10. Shadzy19

Shadzy19 Warmonger

I play emperor , in the middle ages it seems its about 2 turns for changing 3 civics 1 turn for 1/2 .
    Around industrial it seems to switch around to 1 turn of anarchy/civic u change so it isnt really worth it any more to wait for a for 20 turns for a tech to come in.
    Im not sure what causes it that it takes more turns but my guess is your population.
    I still like switching civics on the fly though , if i happen to play a spiritial civ i change at least 1 civic / 5-15 turns .

11. Artanis

Artanis King

Spiritual is only useless if you play like you don't have it. The thing about Spiritual is that you can change civics/religions constantly, and allowing you to do so with impunity is where the strength of the trait lies.

Example:
    Say you have Mercantilism, Pacifism, Caste System, and Representation running to get some GPs, but are attacked. So, you switch to Nationhood, Police State, Theocracy, and Slavery to crank out some units. Five turns later, the attack is blunted enough to switch to Representation, Caste System, and Free Religion to finish researching a critical tech in five turns, at which point you change to Bureaucracy, Organized Religion, and Serfdom to crank out the tech's associated Wonder at your capital while repairing pillage damage. Five turns after that, you switch to Universal Suffrage to buy out the rest of the Wonder, Theocracy and Vassalage to build up more troops, Free Market to facilitate rushbuying even more troops, and Emancipation to give your enemy a :mad: penalty.

For a Spiritual leader, doing all that is trivial. For a non-Spiritual leader that's a good TEN or so turns of Anarchy on Normal speed...which could easily be fatal in the middle of a war.