1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anarchy question

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Crocodile, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

I tend to time the switch out of despotism, depending on if I am building a wonder or not- and the city producing the wonder. It might be worth a few turns of anarchy just to get the mining boost from a better government in a wonder-building city. But that's usually only if I've recently started the wonder race.
    Bad idea to switch governments in the middle of the war. And I hate conducting diplomacy during anarchy... there's nobody in power in my government to talk to!

2. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

I h8 long anarchies. I was playing the other day. I just went to war with India, thinking this would be no big deal. Completely 4geting the day b4 when I was playing all my MPP were over with, so the world wouldn't join in my cause by me skipping a turn and letting them attacking. So I figured why not attack them first. 4got to check the diplomacy screen to see they had a MPP with the French. Ugh. Too make a long story short, to counter the WW from Democracy I hoped by starting a revolution would be less painless than having them revolt from WW, sigh 7 turns of painful anarchy with only about 20 tanks, made for some interesting battles. Now under my communist rain I will crush the AI and force them and their democratic society into the same painful anarchy.

3. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Anarchy!

you can get more then 8 turns of anarchy trust me I was once looking at a 9 turn anarchy in the industrial age as China :mad:

this was on a huge map so that might of have an impact on the # of turns

4. chancellor_dan

chancellor_dan Prince

What do you do when you're in anarchy, and the enemy is one turn from capturing an unguarded city?:(

5. Adalid

Adalid Chieftain

Raze it. :p Scorched earth all the way!

6. Fanatica

Fanatica Strategic Mapmaker

I don't know the max, but if feels like it's been lasting forever this game. I wish I had counted, because it seems to be much more than 8.

7. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

You can tell the first turn of your revolution.

First off, never ever declare revolution when the pop up box asks you if you'd like to change guv. This has the potential to put cities into disorder.

After discovering the tech of the guv you want to change to, play through the turn as normal. Before you end the turn, click on your F1 advisor screen. There will be a button just under your sliders that has your guv type there. Click it, and a pop-up will ask you if you'd really like to change. Say yes, and you civ will decend into anarchy.

Now, this is the important part. Go to all your cities, and make sure that none of them will go into disorder. Unlike waiting every few turns for a city to grown and then checking it's happiness, you must check every city every turn to make sure that the city doesn't go into disorder. I've seen cities for no apparent reason go into disorder. I'm sure there was a reason, I just was worried about too many other things during the anarchy.

Now that you've made sure all your cities will not go into disorder, go back to your F1 screen. Keep clicking the advisor box until she says "We'll be out of anarchy in X turns". Obviously, this will tell you how many turns you have left. I often check this every turn, so I'm prepared to make the jump to the new guv as painless and profitable as possible.

I'm sure most of you know this already, but a refresher, just in case.

8. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Anarchy!

it depends on whether or not you want/need the city back

If you want/need it back and you can't bring in reinforcements then:

if its a large productive city then, if its not destroyed, it will probably flip back unless you take it back first

but if its a small city and you want to deny your enemy from using it then I would give it to a very weak, espeacially culturally, AI and then take it back when ever you are ready/feel like it.

Now if you don't want/need it back, i.e. its a small city or a useless hopelessly corrupted city too far away from your capitial for you to even care about then I would:

either give it to a weak "friendly" AI or do what Adalid said and follow a scorched earth policy, but make sure you sell all the improvements in the city before you burn it to the ground :mwaha:

9. chancellor_dan

chancellor_dan Prince

Yeah,but if i lose even 1 city, i lose the game. I don't know why...that includes giving it to weaker civs.

10. Turner

That's because you have the Elimination Option on. With this option on, if you lose one city, you lose the game. In C3C you can define the number of cities, I believe, but I don't know where to do that. Try turning that off, then it won't be an issue for you any more.

11. chancellor_dan

chancellor_dan Prince

Ah, thanks. Not sure if its possible to change hat mid-game but i'll check ;)

12. Turner

No, it's not, but make sure you do it before starting the next game.

13. chancellor_dan

chancellor_dan Prince

In other words, the game must be abandoned...rip my heart out.