Ancient and Classical buildings Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kryat, Mar 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Market should be (17) in the posts above (error appear on #48). And I will deduct 3 from that.

Amphitheater (18)
    Ancestral Hall (18) (17+1) Civ VI favors going wide. Even if you play small map you should try settle 15+ cities. Seriously. It's simply more efficient that way. And Ancestral Hall is not just about the free builder, it's about the +50% production on settler in that city. A carefully chosen Gov Plaza city + Ancestral Hall can basically win you the game simply from the amount of production you gain from chopping settlers.
    Ancient Walls (25)
    Barracks (15)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (23)
    Market (14) (17-3) Some people may hate me for downvoting this. But it's so costly to build a CH and then a market for a trade route capacity. Harbor + Lighthouse (if doable) are way better. Plus CH allows spy to steal funds from your city.
    Monument (27)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (24)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)
    Water Mill (1)

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  2. canadamufc

canadamufc Chieftain

Apologies for the missed upvote for the temple.

I disagree that the repeat downvotes were that bad. 3 people did it (including me), and it was only one extra time on top of their original vote. Two people repeated an upvote in favour of it, but I wont talk about it because it's within the rules. If people did it 3 or 4 times in a row then sure. But 2? Eh, not as bad as some people say it. I downvoted it the first time because I believe it to be the worst, I downvoted it a second time to give counter-argument.

Fair, but my point was missed. The point was, was that since amenities are non-important in the early game, that the Arena was eliminated. This logic could be applied to the Audience Chamber. Also, if you are boxed in you could get much more value from Warlords throne and conquering.

Amphitheater (18)
    Ancestral Hall (18)
    Ancient Walls (25)
    Barracks (15)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (23)
    Market (14)
    Monument (28) (27+1) I'll throw the monument an upvote as it is the main source of culture if you are not building theater squares. Also, it can give newly founded cities more and better tiles faster.
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (24)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)
    Water Mill (-2) (1-3) ELIMINATED +1 food and +1 production wont cut it at this stage imo. It does have a situational use in a farmable resource heavy city, but I think it's too out there to warrant a good position.

3. greenOak

greenOak Warlord

Amphitheater (18)
    Ancestral Hall (19) (18+1)
    Ancient Walls (22) (25-3)
    Barracks (15)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (23)
    Market (14)
    Monument (28)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (24)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Ancestral hall (+1) - One of the big reasons why getting to political philosophy ASAP is so important. This building can give you more free builder charges than pyramids.

Ancient Walls (-3) - Usually only build one for the eureka. Generally not needed to defend - even on deity.

4. Equilin

Equilin King

Amphitheater (18)
    Ancestral Hall (20) (19+1) gotta love it when my new cities pop up with 6-charge builders (where they will be used the most). It's not uncommon for me to hold off on new cities until i get this up, and imo it's really worth it.
    Ancient Walls (22)
    Barracks (12) (15-3) Just like its counterpart Stable, not really needed even for a dom game (unless i get lots of militaristic city-states then maybe some in key production cities that still have enough district slot left). I'd build more units instead.
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (23)
    Market (14)
    Monument (28)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (24)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

5. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

I think my vote was missed by the poster after me!

hhhhhh likes this.
  6. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

it was, restoring your votes here with this post

Amphitheater (15)
    Ancestral Hall (20)
    Ancient Walls (22)
    Barracks (12)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (14)
    Monument (28)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (26)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Amphitheater (15) (18-3) Never really find much use for these, except for getting to museums, or finding a place to put works from a great writer I just got, even when I'm going for a culture victory. The yields on great works of writing are just too small, and I usually get my theater squares enough adjacency that I'm not falling behind in culture. I just really struggle to find a reason to build these early.
    Temple (26) (25+1) Most important building for religious play, and even when you're not going for a religious victory, a religion can help out a lot - but that usually is dependent on getting a good combination of beliefs, which requires a temple for apostles, and spreading your religion, which is made much easier through debaters, translators, and proselytizers

canadamufc and Francel like this.
  7. Vizurok

Vizurok Magyar Soldier

Ancestral Hall (21) (20+1) I consider this the single greatest thing since sliced bread. The ultimate sucess of the game hinges upon rapid exploration and as I tend to play peacefully, this building provides a huge impact in getting quick Settlers and upstarting newly founded cities.
    Ancient Walls (22)
    Barracks (12)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (14)
    Monument (28)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (23) (26-3) There are worse options on the list but I don't really want to chase a runaway score later. Don't get me wrong, I adore Monumentality, and I consider any game in which i don't get 3 Monumentality Golden Ages an utter failure and a disgrace for my family, but I'm just not that into faith when I'm not playing for a RV. I firmly prefer staying on the upper side of the civic tree, beelining for Feudalism and Exploration, so the Temple sits on a civic dead-end for me that I usually only get for the Wonder-boosting card. Also, while the +4 faith is absolutely impressive, it should be noted that the Temple is the only T2 buiding that does not provide you with practical GPP (it could be also added that while I am a Lighthouse believer, the ineffectiveness of Great Admirals somewhat decreases its value).
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    GinandTonic likes this.
  8. TCBB

TCBB Warlord

Before leaving this for good, I think it's worth saying that the problem is successive downvotes. It takes only two people to vote against something two days in a row (as happened here), and it's already lost 12 points and is staring down the barrel. I think successive upvotes are fine (within reason), but successive downvotes ought to be frowned upon more stringently, or even banned outright.

Ancestral Hall (22) (21+1)
    Ancient Walls (22)
    Barracks (9) (12-3)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (14)
    Monument (28)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (23)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Barracks (9)(12-3) Should go next. The combination of bonuses isn't that bad, and you can always slot Veterancy in to speed it up 30%. But the main problem is that it comes in a dud district, the Encampment, which IMO is the second-lowest-priority district (behind the Entertainment Complex).

Ancestral Hall (22) (21+1) In games without Monumentality, this is practically essential. High production second city + Magnus with Provision + Colonization card + Ancestral Hall = a settler once every 5 or 6 turns.

JhGf_123 likes this.
  9. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (22)
    Barracks (9)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (29)

Shrine (24)
    Temple (23)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Having voted for a lot of the others already, I guess it's a bandwagony vote. I usually want Monuments (28+1) in every city, they're cheap and convey a decent bonus. Markets (14-3) are much less of a sure thing. Since firaxis buffed coastal cities I have prioritized harbours over commercial hubs with most civs. But we're at a point where everything less is good.

While I didn't double downvote, I did vote down the audience chamber. Banning downvotes is tough as you reach a point in any elimination game where there is maybe only be a single option left worth voting down in many players' minds. With the policy/building threads I suspect that point may come much sooner... I try to avoid downvoting twice but aometimes it feels like the only legitimate option...

10. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23) (22+1)
    Barracks (6) (9-3)
    Granary (22)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (29)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (23)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

As a builderphile I would hate to not build any of these, but I guess at this point its just a matter of what's least good. Ancient walls are good for defense (which is important for everyone) and give an extra bit of Tourism, which can definitely be helpful. Every little bit of Tourism is important. Barracks are something I could live without, though. What's important in a Domination game is that you don't go into debt and don't fall behind in techs- the small production boost this offers takes a long time to pay itself off.

11. konokoni

konokoni Chieftain

Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Barracks (3) (6-3): A building that you have to build early to get the most benefit from (+ prod & increased unit XP earnings), but that competes with the need to build actual units for your early-game rush. Also, the game doesn't clearly expose in the UI which units benefit from the bonus and which don't (only in a tool tip). That makes it hard to leverage that bonus.

Granary (23) (22+1): A vital source of early game housing with some extra food to boot. It's not a lot, but it comes so early that it has a big impact over the game. Rapid city growth is critical to forming a productive empire.
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (29)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (23)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  12. walkerjks

walkerjks King

Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Barracks (3)
    Granary (23)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (30) (29+1) I want fast PP and for those civs that can't generate extra culture early, this is the cleanest way to do it. Plus, heroes and plus voidsingers, for those playing those modes. Even modeless, this is always my first building (well, unless I settle somewhere with no water, but that is unusual).
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (20) (23-3) Look, I get how people like their religion. I like faith, too. I don't like how it delays other things I want. Other than work ethic games, I simply shun religion and therefore never see a temple in most games. Certainly not an early temple.
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

konokoni likes this.
  13. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

Looks like amphitheater dropped from the list just after my post! Corrected up-to-date scores:

Amphitheater (15)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Barracks (3)
    Granary (23)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (30)
    Shrine (24)
    Temple (20)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Amphitheater (15)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Barracks (3)
    Granary (23+1=24) Granary and Monument are the best two because of how early they come and no pop/dist requirements. I voted for monument last time. Granary is more under-the-radar good than monument.
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (30)
    Shrine (24-3=21) kind of dumb to build if you aren't doing religion.
    Temple (20)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

konokoni likes this.
  15. JhGf_123

JhGf_123 Chieftain

Amphitheater (15)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Barracks (0) (3-3) Eliminated
    Granary (24)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (30)
    Shrine (22) (21+1)
    Temple (20)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Shrine:
    Nobody tell him about Monumentality ... or Grand Master's Chapel ... or Rock Bands ... or National Parks ...

Barracks:
    As @konokoni has rightly said, to get the most of a Barracks (or Stable) you need to build it early, but that means you'll be competing with building actual units.

16. Buktu

Buktu Prince

Amphitheater (12) (15-3)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Granary (24)
    Lighthouse (24)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (30)
    Shrine (22)
    Temple (21) (20+1)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Amphitheater - Culture districts tend to have pretty low adjacency early. Also they don't have a high value if you are not going for a CV. It also takes a while until amphitheaters reach their full potential since you need a great writer. Cleary the worst building left for me.

Temple - Faith is useful. Even without a religion you can speed up every game with faith. Monumentality, buying GP, units (Grandmaster chappel), districts (moksha with some promotions), rock bands and naturalists is always a good thing. You can get even more yields with the right beliefs (even if you are not the founder of a religion).
    A temple is also key to enhance your religion and spread it to other nations.

konokoni likes this.
  17. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

Amphitheater (9) (12-3)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Granary (24)
    Lighthouse (25) (24+1)
    Library (20)
    Market (11)
    Monument (30)
    Shrine (22)
    Temple (21)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Amphitheater - Unless I'm going for a CV theater squares are pretty low on my priority list, and Amphitheaters are rather underwhelming.
    Lighthouse - I love building harbors. They use a low-yield water tile and I don't have to agonize about placement or adjacency, it is pretty straightforward. Lighthouse gives food, a trade route, and its production can be boosted by that one policy. What's not to love?

18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Amphitheater (6) (9-3) ... starting to look like a bloodbath for the Amphitheatre here, but I think it's the worst building remaining. I feel by now, unlike early stages of the game, early game culture is not so much of a bottle-neck, and the theatre district is generally just low priority for me.
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Granary (24)
    Lighthouse (25) (24+1)
    Library (20)
    Market (12) (11+1) ... What can I say, I love my trade routes. The great merchant point is also nice, as of course is the extra gold. Maybe not a great building, but still deserves a bit more love than it gets imo.
    Monument (30)
    Shrine (22)
    Temple (21)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

19. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Amphitheater (3) (6-3)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Granary (24)
    Lighthouse (25)
    Library (20)
    Market (12)
    Monument (31) (30+1)

Shrine (22)
    Temple (21)
    Warlord’s Throne (19)

Ampitheater: Just hopping onto the bandwagon. Also, a much better way of getting Culture is just building a cheaper Monument. :p

Monument: Sometimes a cheap, simple Building can be very effective, and this is no exception.

20. lilnev!

lilnev! Chieftain

Amphitheater (3)
    Ancestral Hall (22)
    Ancient Walls (23)
    Granary (24)
    Lighthouse (26) (25+1) The good trade route building. Cities with harbors (the majority in most of my games) want this ASAP for food and housing.
    Library (20)
    Market (9) (12-3) The bad trade route building. Eventually trade routes become good enough that cities without harbors may consider these.
    Monument (31)
    Shrine (22)
    Temple (21)
    Warlord’s throne (19)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.