1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient Forests

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Hamsterman, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Hamsterman

Hamsterman Chieftain

Are there any criteria for determining how or when an ancient forest will develop out of a stadard forest? Does having Fellowship of the Leaves have anything to do with it? My second game is not seeing nearly as much ancient forest pop up as my first game, though I have been mostly under Runes of Kilmorth.

2. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

Yes you need to have Fellowship of Leaves as state religon, unless the team changed it in 0.13

3. Kael

Kael Deity

You are right, forests won't change to ancient forests unless the tile owner has a state religion of the Fellowship.

4. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

I'm curious do ancient forrest have a chance to spread regular forrest to nearby non-forrest tiles? That seems like something that might be overlooked.

5. Kael

Kael Deity

No, they only upgrade forest tiles, players will need to bloom tiles to spread forests.

6. autopsy-turvey

autopsy-turvey Chieftain

If you're playing an elf civilization will forest tiles with farms or cottages on them evolve into ancient forests if you have the leaves religion or do they have to be unimproved to evolve? If cottages and farms keep forests from evolving do roads?

7. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

Thread Necromancy !

Really, the thread was almost 2 years old o-o'

But, to answer your question, they will evolve no problem with improvments, don't worry.

8. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

I still think FoL generally sucks ifyou're not an elf. OO is useful for any civ, but FoL is only marginally useful to non-elves. RoK is also universally usable.

9. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I like to run FoL first to get the ancient forest tiles for +1 food in my forests. After running FoL for awhile, I will switch to another religion. I generally only keep FoL for the whole game when I am playing the elves.

Founding FoL and bilding the shrine is a nice bonus for any civ. In addition to the standard benefits, the free Nature mana ensures that at least your archmages will be able to Vitalize tiles in the late game.

10. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

I agree, with a caveat. FoL is a good religion for the Kuriotates. Most tend to go for OO with the Kuriotates, but I've found FoL to be more helpful at the higher difficulties.

11. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

What would be nice is if there were some mechanic to have FoL civs able to improve their forests more. Perhaps FoL priests could plant a baby forst on a tile with an improvement (cottage, farm, etc.) that has no effect for several turns. Eventually it will mature into a forest and then an ancient forest.

I know, people are going to say that this tramples on the special effect of the elves. I don't think that it really does though. Elves can build improvements in existing forests and can do so from the beginning of the game. This new mechanic would just allow FoL players to develop forests on existing improvements. It would be a mid to late game boon to an already developed city rather than an early game boost that the elves have. This mechanic would also be useful for elves so that they do not have to raze their improvements to cast Bloom and then rebuild improvements in the forest.

12. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I think that introducing the Forests preserves from BtS (probably with synergy with Guardian of Nature and possibly with yield boni from techs like commune with nature) would be enough (they are already in my modmod)

13. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

Jut overpowers elves more, Imo.

But it's a good idea.

14. Humakty

Humakty Happy Goblin

I agree elves have no need of more economic advantages. They can even build mines on forests !

15. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

Really ? Last I knew, mines would destroy the forest...

16. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

Elves can already build Cottages on forests. Adding Forest Preserves to the game would offer no significantbenefit to the Elves, but could help Non-Elves actually make some productive use of their forests under FoL.

17. Humakty

Humakty Happy Goblin

I just played svartalfar, and they could do it. (or I was drunk all the way, with a gob you never know...)

18. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

Hum... Maybe that's a bug ? 'Cause it's not only illogical, but giving even more production for elves (like they don't have a lot already...) is a bit insane.

19. Arwon

Arwon

I think it's a side effect of elven civs not being able to clear forests, period.

20. SwordofStriker

SwordofStriker Prince

Yes, they can do it.