1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient Golden Age Alt History Brainstorming Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by steampunk1880, Oct 14, 2011.

1. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

This is a thread for proposing techs, civics, wonders, buildings and units for the proposed Ancient Golden Age alternate history and for debate on their overall design philosophy(How it is different from its contemporary regular history)

Suggestions that are not objected to in 24 hours or whose objections have been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties go up on the list. Objects on the list will be credited to their original suggesters.

When making suggestions about technologies it is helpful but NOT necessary to also suggest what tech(s) the technology may come from and what it may lead to, what civis, buildings, wonders and what units might be attached to it or provide an involved civilopedia entry but ask that you include a note about what it entails to guide people in finding appropriate connections with other suggested techs, civics, wonders, buildings and units. Suggested format below:
    Tech name
    Requires:
    Leads to:
    Wonders:
    Buildings:
    Units:
    Special effects:
    Civilopedia:
    Notes:

When making suggestions about Civics it is helpful but NOT necessary to link them to a technology or give it an involved civiloedia entry but we ask you to include a detailed account of what the civic does. Please refer to existing civics for examples of what can and probably should be done by a civc.

When making suggestions about wonders it is helpful but NOT necessary to link them to a tech or to provide an involved civilopedia entry but we ask you to include other building and resource requirements, it's proposed effects, and some notes about what it entails to help people connect it to appropriate techs. Suggested format below:
    Wonder name
    Requires: technology/building/resource
    Effects:
    Civilopedia:
    Notes:

Buildings are similar
    Building Name
    Requires: technology/buildings/resources
    Effects:
    Civilopedia:
    Notes:

When making suggestions about units it is helpful but NOT necessary to link them to a tech or provide a long civilopedia entry but we ask you to include other building and resource requirements, a detailed account of the units stats including what category it is, and some notes about what it entails to help people connect it to appropriate techs and buildings.
    Unit Name - Intended Alt History
    Requires: technology/building/resource
    Stats:unit type(flying, gunpowder, high tech)/strength, speed, first strikes/bonuses or penalties/free upgrades
    Civilopedia:
    Notes:

The object is to get as many ideas up in a coherent list as possible and worry about putting them together later.

While we are brainstorming connections can be made in the following way:
    Hey I think unit X belongs under tech Y. I agree. Me too. *relevant entries have been changed*
    Hey I think tech 1 should lead to tech 2. I agree. Me too. *relevant entries have been changed*

Changes to existing entries are made in a similar fashion.
    Hey I think Building A is too powerful/not powerful enough and should be This Way. I agree. Me too. Let's ask/PM the original contributor if he/she has any input about the proposed changes. Everyone agrees? *relevant entries have been changed*"
    Hey I think Unit Alpha is redundant/no longer fits and should be removed. I agree. Me too. Let's ask/PM the original contributor how he/she feels about that. Everyone agrees? *entry deleted*

2. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Technologies

_

+++++++++
    Civics

_

=========
    Wonders

_

3. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Buildings

_

+++++++
    Units

Polybolos - CREDIT: steampunk1880
    Requires:.../Seige Weapons Workshop, /...
    Stats: Seige Weapon/ 12 strength 1 movement 2 first strikes/+25% city defense/Starts with drill 1 and 2
    Civilopedia:
    Notes: a repeating medium ballista used, but not extensively, by the late roman empire. A great city defender but will be murdered by your opponents' knights in the field. I was thinking this could be top of the line ancient golden age weaponry.

4. FromHesse

FromHesse Chieftain

well i think eastern rome/byzantine empire was a late ancient age which gives ideas for this alternative era. I can't imagine what else should be in this era. If you ever have seen which technologies the ancient romans had you are really impressed i think. 10 miles/15km from my home there is a rebuild roman castellum (Saalburg) with a roman museum. I think there could be a direct technological line into renaissance era if dark ages or medieval era never had happened.

5. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

I propose

Unit

Polybolos
    Requires:.../Seige Weapons Workshop, /...
    Stats: Seige Weapon/ 12 strength 1 movement 2 first strikes/+25% city defense/Starts with drill 1 and 2
    Civilopedia:
    Notes: a repeating medium ballista used, but not extensively, by the late roman empire. A great city defender but will be murdered by your opponents' knights in the field. I was thinking this could be top of the line ancient golden age weaponry.

@ FromHesse. And it's up to us to slowly hammer out this techological line because that's basically what the ancient golden age is all about.

6. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Sound cool. Now we would just need a graphic for it.

7. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

For a possible Hero unit for Ancent Golden Age it could be "Daedalus" the father of Icarus who made the artificial wings to fly.

8. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Stats? abilities? I don't want to just throw a name up there.

9. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Nevermind there is already a Daedalus hero unit. Oops! Great minds think alike I guess.

Though we could always link him to the Ancient Golden age instead of Culture (Greek). Or both.

10. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Do more people think linking Daedelus to the Ancient Golden Age instead of Greek culture would be a good idea?

11. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Moving one unit to the list. Any word on what's going on with Daedalus? Need some stats that make sense and notes about where one might put him.

12. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I think I am going to leave him as he is. We can always think of a new Hero for this Era.

13. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Why hasn't anyone suggested this? it's in the second post in the alternative timelines thread. Somebody, anybody other than me could have looked at those and suggested stats for it.

Tech

Sailroads
    Requires:...
    Leads to:...
    Wonders:...
    Buildings:...
    Units:...
    Special Effects: allows construction of sailroads which look like railroads but have wood or bronze colored rails; movementX6, no hammer bonus in mines and towns and stuff, costs as much as a railroad; speeds up researching railroad
    Notes: Honestly wagonways and plateways really started appearing in the late 1700's and I have never heard of greek wheeled sailing ships on tracks before it appeared in the alternative timelines thread, but it's something.

14. Necratoid

Necratoid Chieftain

What happened is they made rollers or something and literally pulled the ships across the land for miles upon miles... sailroad would be a terrain improment that allows ships to be moved across land... theough they couldn't attack by themselves and would need to be guarded or they can be destroyed like a fort with no land units.

15. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

well if the steampunk war train can be made to only be able to travel on locomotive tracks, could flat bottomed boats like galleys and triremes be made to allow movement on sailroads over land? If so, then can there be an extremely expensive x1 movement canal improvement available with the canal system tech? I don't know how the native terrain thing works. someone would need to pick apart that Rise from Erebus modmod unit that uses it. I think it was a mobile attack fort. Also discussion on this should probably be moved to the "map improvements" thread on the second page if there isn't a better thread for discussing stuff workers can build.

16. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I forgot about those. Yeah I saw a show about them on the history channel where they used rails to pull ships over land. Mind you where were pulled by animals and not steam power. It was more of a "rutway" or "rutroad" than what we think about as a "railroad".

I could see a wonder called the "Rutway of Diolkos" that gives like bonus to trade or maybe ships. Something like that, which is simpler to do than a new type of road. Maybe even a free "Rutway" to all cities or something.

17. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Are there any objections to what little there is on the sailroads thing. If not I'll add it to the top later.

18. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I object! :p

No but seriously I think it should be a building and not a new type of road. In other words it can be like the paved road building, but called "Rutroad" and then we can have the "Rutway of Diolkos" wonder that allows for a "Rutroad" in every city on the continent.

19. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Good, now we have a discussion. What does this "Rutroad" building do?

20. rightfuture

rightfuture Chieftain

I also re-recommend adding the
    Antikythera mechanism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

It is a real device:

The Antikythera mechanism (play /ˌæntɨkɨˈθɪərə/ ant-i-ki-theer-ə or /ˌæntɨˈkɪθərə/ ant-i-kith-ə-rə) is an ancient mechanical computer[1][2] designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera wreck.[3] Its significance and complexity were not understood until decades later. Its time of construction is now estimated between 150 and 100 BC.[4] Technological artifacts of similar complexity and workmanship did not reappear until the 14th century, when mechanical astronomical clocks were built in Europe.

sounds like an alternate timeline inspiring possible device if any. I recommend adding it as a technology.