Ancient Illyria and Ethnic Albania as Playable Civilizations!

Shqype

Shqyptar
The mod you've all been waiting for, now BTS 3.13 compatible! I introduce Ancient Illyria and Ethnic Albania as 2 playable civilizations, complete with custom music. Enjoy :)

Ancient Illyria
Description: Illyrian Empire
Short Desc: Illyria
Adjective: Illyrian

Starting Technologies: The Wheel and Mining

Unique Unit: Kambsor (replaces Spearman)
-5 strength, 0-2 first strikes, +100% vs mounted units, 35 cost
Lembi (replacing Galley) is a flavor unit only

Leaders: Bardhylli (Industrious, Imperialistic, favors Vassalage) ; Teuta (Aggressive, Expansive, favors Representation)

Ethnic Albania
Description: Albanian Empire
Short Desc: Albania
Adjective: Albanian

Starting Technologies: Mysticism and Agriculture

Unique Unit: Kalorsë (replaces Knight)
-10 strength, 2 movement, ignores terrain movement cost, doesn't receive defensive bonuses, can cause collateral damage, 100 cost

Leader: Gjergj Kastrioti (Protective, Charismatic, favors Theocracy, favors Christianity)

City Lists:
Illyria:
Spoiler :
--Skodra
--Dyrrahu
--Lissus
--Albanopoli
--Valona
--Damastion
--Olcini
--Dodona
--Skupi
--Antivar
--Antiparta
--Mathi
--Rhizon
--Buthrint
--Enkelana
--Ulpiana
--Delmin
--Salona
--Narona
--Epidau
--Manastir
--Uskana
--Basania
--Traguriu
--Eordaei
--Amantia
--Lychnidis
--Styberra
--Oeneu
--Draudaku
--Meteon
--Siscia
--Metulum
--Dociea
--Skardona
--Blandona

Albania:
Spoiler :
--Shkodra
--Durrës
--Lezhë
--Krujë
--Vlonë
--Prizren
--Ulqin
--Albulena
--Mati
--Prishtina
--Shkup
--Tivari
--Gjirokastër
--Tirana
--Koplik
--Saranda
--Tropoja
--Berat
--Gjakova
--Drenica
--Manastiri
--Fier
--Janina
--Tuzi
--Butrint
--Korça
--Lushnjë
--Ohër

Unique Building: Kuvend (replaces Courthouse)
-25% additional military unit production, -50% maintenance costs, +1 culture, 120 cost

This mod features the two most beautiful units I have seen on this site. Aranor created the Illyrian unit skins, and korvgubben created the Albanian unit skins. They look simply amazing:

*NOTE: The custom era music has been removed for the Warlords + BTS versions, mostly to shorten the filesize. The menu music has been changed to add Albanian flavor to the mod. It fits in nicely and sounds even better than the vanilla menu music.

I hope you all enjoy it. Thanks to all that helped in the creation of this mod :)

No, Kalorse is. Kalorse in Albanian means "horseman" in English. These horsemen were "light guerilla cavalry" that were the most important force in Gjergj Kastrioti's army. With them, he defeated the most powerful army in the world for 25 years. They used what are known as "guerilla cavalry tactics." Gjergj Kastrioti himself would lead raids against the Turkish encampment while they were doing things like besieging Kruja, the center of Albanian resistance. He would rush into the heart of the enemy camp and cause as much damage as he could before withdrawing. You will find this out in the civilopedia entries.

lol i was waiting for you to get round to Albania Shqype good mod:goodjob:

Thanks Wei-Yan but once I upload the file can you download it, play it, and then tell me what you think of it? ;)

Shqype said:
Thanks Wei-Yan but once I upload the file can you download it, play it, and then tell me what you think of it? ;)
Sure can:lol: I just like to be positive and what i was ment to say is it looks good my English is not great

Thanks to Thunderfall, I was able to upload the file to the FTP. Now it is available for download. Please play it and tell me what you think! Tell me if you like the music or not :)

Congratulations you've finally made it. Quite frankly I was planning to do it a while ago, but then you made your intensions public and hey, one less work, away from my shoulders... :)

So you need to update us on some of the cities, the modern versions of the Illyrian cities and the older versions of the Albanian ones.
For example the ones in Novi Pazar area and what are the names you used for Ohrid and Bitola (Monastir) etc. If you could provide them with the geographic region they lie on today that would be even better.
Thanks... :)

Broken Legion, the skins for the Illyrian units (Lembi and Kambsor) were done by Aranor. The skins for the Albanian unit (Kalorse) were done by korvgubben. And as you can see they are gorgeous!

Congratulations you've finally made it. Quite frankly I was planning to do it a while ago, but then you made your intensions public and hey, one less work, away from my shoulders...
Yea, I originally began this in November, believe it or not. But then I kept adding things to make it better. Then I decided to add the Illyrians as well to represent the ancient Albanians, especially since Thamis said he would use them for his Ancient Mediterranean mod. I didn't want to release anything less than complete, which is why it took so long. But, finally, it is out. I'de like to hear your feedback, especially about the music. The openin menu music is a good representation of some Albanian beats and instruments.

So you need to update us on some of the cities, the modern versions of the Illyrian cities and the older versions of the Albanian ones.
For example the ones in Novi Pazar area and what are the names you used for Ohrid and Bitola (Monastir) etc. If you could provide them with the geographic region they lie on today that would be even better.
Sure, I'll start on that to give people an idea.

Some explanation of Illyro-Albanian cities:
Spoiler :
Many of these cities are self-explanatory. Illyrian Skodra is Albanian Shkodra, the most important Albanian city and cultural center for the last ~3400 years, Dyrrahu (Dyrrachium, Epidamnos) is modern Durres, which the Greeks had as a trading colony, it is also where Saint Paul preached to spread Christianity in Illyrian lands. Lissus is Lezha, where Gjergj Kastrioti united all Albanians princes, land barons, and tribal chieftains on March 2, 1444 in open rebellion against the Ottoman Empire. This event, Beslidhja e Lezhes, is referred to as the "League of Lezha." Albanopoli (Albanopolis, Parthini) is somewhere around Kruja, and it is this city/settlement of the Albani tribe that the Greeks used to call Illyrians as Albanians. Kruja was the center of Albanian resistance, the most important fortress of Gjergj Kastrioti's. If you go there it is really beautiful, the fortress was built on an Illyrian citadel and is almost built into the mountain, which is described as an "eagle's nest." This is relevant to Albanians because we identify ourselves as "sons of the eagle." For this reason the Turks were unable to capture the city and destroy it with cannons like they were able to do to Constantinople. That, and Gjergj Kastrioti ;)

Vlone (Vlora) is the ancient Illyrian port city of Valona, where in 1912 the official declaration of independence of the Albanian state (not Albanians) occurred. Damastion was the capital of ancient Dardania, the region which encompassed modern Kosova and much of Macedonia. Prizren is the counterpart and arguably the most important city of Kosova. It is where Lidhja e Prizrenit, the "Leage of Prizren," originated to combat the partitioning of Albanian lands to Montenegro, Serbia, and Bulgaria. Olcini is the ancient Illyrian port city of Ulqin (Ulcinj). My family has land there, and a hotel by the beautiful beach. I've been a famous restaurant not far called "Shas" where you can see the remains of many, many Illyrian churches.

Dodona was a southern Illyrian city where the oracle was originally situated. It is in Epirus. Greeks claim Epirus today for nationalistic purposes, but back then even the Greek historians and writers claimed that the inhabitants of Epirus were "barbaric" and spoke a language other than Greece. These Epirots were the progenitors of the southern Albanians, known today as "Tosks." I didn't include the modern city because it's not important to Albanians today, it is just an excavation site though.

Albulena is a city in Dibra, where an Albanian battle against the Turks was fought. Skupi is the city Shkup (commonly known as Shkopje), which happens to be the capital of "Macedonia" today. It is in the Albanian-inhabited half of Macedonia. It is where Mother Teresa was born. Antivar = Tivar (Bar in Montenegro), and it was historically an important city as a Catholic Bishopric like Ulqini. Mathi = Mati, and it is a mountainous region in north-central Albania, reportedly where Gjergj Kastrioti has his roots. Buthrint (Buthront) = Butrint, and it is an Illyrian/Epirot excavation site in Southern Albania.

Enkelana was the capital of the Enkelejt tribe, Ulpiana was an Illyrian settlement, and is still today near Prishtina in Kosova.

Now, as for where these Albanian cities are in the world today, here is a map to help illustrate it. The Turks split up Albania into 4 "vilayets" for adminstrative purposes. They are the vilayets of Shkodra, Kosova, Manastir, and Janina:

Albanian cities today:
Spoiler :
The following cities are in Albania proper:
--Shkodra
--Durrës
--Lezhë
--Krujë
--Vlonë
--Albulena
--Mati
--Gjirokastër
--Tirana
--Koplik
--Saranda
--Tropoja
--Berat
--Fier
--Korça
--Lushnjë
--Butrinti

The following are currently in Montenegro:
--Ulqin
--Tivari
--Tuzi

The following are in Kosova:
--Prizren
--Prishtina
--Gjakova
--Drenica

The following are in Macedonia:
--Shkup
--Ohër

The following are in Greece:
--Janina

That should answer some questions you may have. If you want to know anything else, just ask me. By the way, Gjergj Kastrioti's fortress at Kruje is really beautiful, and I've had the pleasure of visiting it. I have pictures from my travels if anyone is interested. I feel it would bring more flavor and realism to this mod because I have documented proof of these places, ie the fortress at Kruja.

Broken Legion, I was asking what you thought of it as you heard it. I know it is a very accurate representation of Albanian music, but I was interested to find out how this music sounds to the ears of a non-Albanian. :)

Okay ive listend to the music and all i can say is that it has a catchy tune :lol:

okay ive played as the Albanians and was plesently suprised by the UU.No offence but i thought it might be underpowerd but it severd me well on my campain against Mali:D I also thought the skining of the unit was done well how did you get two horesmen and a knight to mix?:goodjob:

On a first run you may think the Albanian UU is overpowered, but compare it to the vanilla Spanish Conquistador:

Conquistador:
10 strength, 2 movement, 2 first strikes, Immune to first strikes, recieves defensive bonuses, +50% vs. melee units, 90 cost

Kalorse:
10 strength, 3 movement, 1 first strike, not immune to first strikes, doesn't recieve defensive bonuses, 35% withdrawal chance, Flanking 1, 100 cost

Comparably to the Spanish Conquistador, the Albanian Kalorse is fair. Plus, they were fast hit-and-run units that defeated the most powerful army of the world, so it's only natural that they're powerful. Still, compared to the vanilla UUs, not overpowered ;)

Conquistador doesn't get any extra first strikes.
So it gets +50 bonus against melee and ability to get defensive bonuses compared to Knights.

Now, your Kalorse compared to that had +1movement (alone makes worth UU), excellent retreat chance of 35% (does that include flanking too?) and first stike, with loss of first stike immunity.

Now both +1movement or 35% retreat if alone added to some unit would make excellent UU.

Also one first strike is usually much better then first stike immunity, since it function just like immunity when enemy has 1 first stike, and in other cases it give an edge.

I suggest toning down. For start I would remove movment bonus.
(and it would also solve problem with Cavalry being slower then a knight)

Then it still on powerful side since you get Flanking for free, which mean flanking II is easy to obtain. So with one promotion is in monsterous 55% retreat (and gain of the first strike immunity).

When I think about it I would remove flanking bonus too to keep it on balance. That leaves it with 25% withdraw AND 1 first strike.

Not bad if you compare to Arabic Camel archer that only get 25% retreat and no need for resources.

Optionally if you really want to keep Flanking, then remove first stike.
(35% reatreat with 55% with just one promotion is VERY powerful)

Ok. Downloaded it. And I say: superb!

Shumë mirë! (I hope this means 'very good').

Top Bottom