Ancient India Mod Project

Thanks, ozymandias. In response to devotee, I tried Itihaas. They're okay for this. I am using Chanakya's Arthashastra as a resource for units, etc. I have a few sites w/ good maps. I need to post them. :)

There are a few wonders I have in mind, please add:
Kautilya's Arthashastra
Jantar Mantar Observatory
Aryabatta's zero
Ramayana
Mahabharata
Vedas
Buddhist Sanga
Kajuraho Temple
Sanchi Stupa
Konarak Temple
University of Taxila (Takshashila)

Another update:
Most improvement names will have Sanskrit names, ie. Library=Pustakalaya
Temple=Devastana
University=Gurukula
and so on..

States definately included:
Magadha
Andhara
Chola
Chera
Pandya
Saurastra
Sakyas
Kurus
Kosala
Kashmira
Sinhala
Anga
Vrijji
Kashi
Chedi
Chalukya Empire
Kalinga

how about Ajanta & Ellora caves?
or perhaps the Temple of Rameshwaram... & Sabarimala, which is the worlds 2nd largest pilgrim centre after Mecca!

This thread is now becoming a discussion between the two of us.
Similar to the Ramayana thread i might add!

Elephanta's good:)

Being from Maharashtra, best to ask you this: Should I combine the Bhojas, Asmakas, and Dakshinapathas into one nation and call it the Rashtrakoota, or make three separate nations. In my map these 3 states were powerful in 600 BCe but no existant in 500CE. They were all situated in modern day Maharashtra.
You Marathis got everthing, no fair! You got Tilak, Mumbai, Shivaji, the Rashtrakootas, Tanaji, etc.
Come on all we got in Karnataka is Bangalore, a few temples and "supposedly the city of Kishkinda".
Only UP beats Mahrashtra.

Incidentally i'm originally Bihari(Buddha, Magadha,etc.) originally.... but settled in Maharashtra:D
I don't know if you want to make too many tiny nations...will be more confusing...though you can add the info to the civilopedia.

"supposedly the city of Kishkinda".
Kishkindha did exist, i firmly believe it...take a look at this NASA pic of Rama's bridge

Rama's bridge did exist...... then Kishkindha definitely existed, you should be proud:king:

I think you should add Bihar and Punjab because they are two of the really important kingdoms after the indus valley, punjab being where the Mauryans started and punjab which formed a kingdom that Alexander fought and was forced to make peace with.

Edit: I'm indian and raised a hindu but you can't possibly believe that is really Ram's bridge. You don't think that it could be a story that incorporates a geological anomoly to explain it? It happens in every religion. It's not a big deal just offering a second perspective.:)

Well Bihar is actually going to be Magadha capital Pataliputra=Patna, ans Punjab has a bunch of nations making it up.

Anyway I have no clue about Kishkinda. I don't know.

I take back my statement that this is a 2 man forums. I was high on something or the other when I wrote that. (High on life as my history teacher tells me)

I see. I'm not sure the time frame exactly you're looking for but if you have a good idea i can dig up some info for you about that time period. I guess if it is right after the fall of the Indus civilization around 1400-1200BC then there is no Punjab. If it is closer to the Greek invasion you could put in Porus as a king in the Indus region

you can't possibly believe that is really Ram's bridge. You don't think that it could be a story that incorporates a geological anomoly to explain it? It happens in every religion.

the absence of knowledge doesn't deny the existence of a fact
have you ever seen an electron? But you believe it does exist, don't you?

strange coincidence regarding the land mass and contour, isn't it!:)
It happens in every religion
also, a lot of religions do have truth in them n that's why it happens everywhere.....

I only said it because religious beliefs are not supposed to be discussed in the creation and customization forum. You should go to Off-Topic. Even though we are of the same religion you should have respect for others and not take up space in an inappropriate forum

Okay let's get back on track. Thanks Punkymonkey for keeping us back on track before the moderators come.

"I see. I'm not sure the time frame exactly you're looking for but if you have a good idea i can dig up some info for you about that time period. I guess if it is right after the fall of the Indus civilization around 1400-1200BC then there is no Punjab. If it is closer to the Greek invasion you could put in Porus as a king in the Indus region"

The mod due to its time period will feature all major states at a given time. The chalukyas can fight the cholas who might challenge the Sakyas. The unique units for each nation will reflect their time of dominance. I wanted Porus really Paurava as a king, but not enough info on his nation. It was actually minor in the scope of things.

How is this mod going? I can't wait for it!!!!!

Very interesting period of history.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the Indian military units (foot units, primarily) that you could post? Not like I can make units or anything, but I'd love to see what they're supposed to look like.

Top Bottom