Ancient Times

grallon

Warlord
The last time I played Civ was with Civ3 - Civ4 and its new... architecture made it very complicated to mod (it hasn't changed with this new version...) so I abandoned it quickly. However this time around, and despite the complications on one hand - and the ever present limitations on the other, the interface and graphics are so gorgeous that I keep being drawn to it.

This said however, I still dislike the core game for its focus on tactical (and it really is tactical and not strategic despite the general confusion) warfare. And many of the irritants present since the original game remain in place. Such as the ludicrous way time is handled (BC/AD on random maps? Basic structures taking centuries to build? Really?). I've read some people saying that the passage of time was mere fluff... Strange thing to say when the game is about the development of civilizations...

In any case I have no interest in modern warfare so I wish to know if there's any project focused on recreating the Ancient Era, from the origins to the dawn of the Middle-Ages. Limiting the scope of the game to such a time period would give a better sense of the evolution of civilizations rather than the current rush to the end game we're stuck with. Incidentally is there any game nowadays where everything isn't focused on the 'end game'?!?

Also is this new version still straight-jacketed to having only one prerequisite for techs, improvements, units, buildings? Back then I had made a revamped and detailed tech tree for such a time span.

G.

I might be interested in doing something along those lines again - I am one of those who started a stone-age mod for Civ 4 which later was abandoned due to RL issues... get back to me - we can lob a couple of ideas around in private messages....

Top Bottom