1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Ancient Walls now provide 100 outer defense?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

59.08 At Maori Gamplay video
    How about Medival and Renaissance walls?
    They both provide 100 outer defense, too. As well as 3 city strength per level of wall instead of 2.

This is sure to help the defense side , at least archer rush may not work for 100 outer defense cities I guess.

And now, surely , upgrading star fort to modern defense loses 100 outer defense and 9 city strength.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    bbbt, Arent11 and Victoria like this.
  2. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Looks like it - I took a look at the Hungary gameplay video as well, Carl builds walls in Buda and they are also +100 defense.

That might just make it harder for the AI to take cities though.

3. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

How much stronger is +100 ancient walls compared to the ones at present?

4. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis Prince

Currently ancient provide 50 and medieval an additional 50, so 100 for them. New ancient will be equivalent to medieval walls.

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

As @bbbt says, this is going to make it harder for the AI but if they have not fixed rams it will make little difference to the player.

6. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

Interesting. Hard to say exactly what it will do because we don't know what else they've changed. Presumably it was intended to reduce the power of archer rushes?

nzcamel likes this.
  7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

It will be much harder to capture cities by archers, so eliminating a Civ in ancient becomes more difficult, therefore you'll be more likely to face a normal/dark classical instead of golden/normal ones on random maps.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Hopefully it is a change that makes wall stronger and that stupid ranged attack weaker... AI doesn‘t use it very well and it‘s quite strong for the player to have a garrisoned ranged unit and this attack to defend.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  9. Arent11

Arent11 King

Good. Now make catapults better. Give them 3 range and artillery 4. You can make them much weaker to compensate for that range advantage & simulate a long siege.

10. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

I guess this matters. Facing +6 strength cities with 200 outer defense is much harder than facing +4 with 100 outer defense.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Looks like indirect buff for Tamar.

12. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

This would make conquest (especially early conquest) harder. Hopefully it's a sign the developers are trying to fix conquest being way too easy. Hopefully (again) Domination Victory will become more of an achievement and Science/Culture will be won by Science/Culture rather than being a "disguised domination"

I might end up buying that expansion after all.

Leathaface likes this.
  13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

In the Hungary game play video rams look exactly the same. Of course that's still an early build and they could still change it.

I almost never use archers to take down walls. Too often there's an enemy archer as well and they can take out 1 archer per turn. It just takes too many archers. Battering ram is much more effective.

14. Turrdy

Turrdy Prince

Artillery has the same range as catapults right now (only 2). +1 range comes later with rocket artillery.
    Though, observation balloons make it looke like artillery have more range!

15. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I've won both science and culture victories (the latter on deity, the former on... eh, emperor or immortal I think, was before I moved to deity) without significant conquering. The entire deity culture victory game I conquered only one city.

16. Arent11

Arent11 King

The point is that 1 unit per tile forces you to give infantry 2 moves & archers 2 range. Which means, if you want to make catapults worthwhile against cities & simulate a long, drawn out bombardement of a city, you would need to give them even more range & maybe make their attack much weaker, slowly chipping away at the defenses of a city.

If catapults have 3 range, then artillery - which can shoot much farther in reality than puny catapults - would have to have an even greater range.

17. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Of course you did, so did i ... much later than those who conquered half the world.

It's especially visible if you look at 6otM games. Every game report i've read from players who managed to win fast, they had a crapload of cities at the end of the game, most of those acquired through conquest. It is possible to play peacefully and i tend to do it often when i'm not going for domination but the easiest/fastest way to win any victory is through conquest which feels wrong to me.

18. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Are you saying a slinger in reality has more range than a modern infantry?

Turrdy likes this.
  19. Arent11

Arent11 King

In the utterly realistic world of civ vi a Slinger can shoot over half of Germany, while modern infantry is engaging in fistfights.

20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

That doesn't mean you can't win an actual science or culture victory. You don't have to go for the fastest win time.