1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

and another massacre in the USA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aroddo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Aroddo

Aroddo Emperor

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19138754

Barely two weeks after the Batman massacre ...
    Is america stepping up it's amok frequency?

My guess: This shooter was a typical patridiot and thought "Turban == Muslim".

Apart from private motives I can't think of any reason why white gunmericans should suddenly start killing Indians.

2. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

It's not a massacre in a nation of three hundred million people.

The assailant is dead. Good riddance to him. :deadhorse:

3. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

They thought they were muslims. 'Nuff said.

4. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Two shootings is pretty skimpy evidence for a general trend.

What insight?! :eek:
    Such a perfect follow up! :eek:

You're not very creative.

5. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Because he's a psychopath?

I'm reminded of the guy who shot the Democratic Senator in Arizona a while back. "He must have been a Tea Party lunatic driven to shooting a Democrat because of the politically charged atmosphere blah blah blah..."

Why do we need to attach a political statement to every tragedy that happens in the United States? Seriously, at this point it's getting old. Even if you do happen to be right, it's still a sad sign of what's happening to this country.

6. Arwon

Arwon

This is an exceedingly strange sentence to write.

7. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

We've got plenty of people, we can afford to lose a few. :cool:

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

But it does seem to be te most plausible explanation ;) that this was a hate crime

Of course, it's too early to speculate about the motive of the killer, but being humans, that's what we do, speculate :p

9. Aroddo

Aroddo Emperor

http://news.yahoo.com/post-9-11-sikhs-mistaken-targets-091708623.html

Looks like I'm not too far off with my evil turban guess.
    I wonder if those hate-crimers go 'oops' a finding out that they directed their hate at the completely wrong persons ...

10. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

It just shows how utterly poor of an understanding of the culture they hate many bigots have when they cant even properly identify who is members of the culture.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Even psychopaths don't randomly do things.

They have motivations just like "sane" people do, even if they don't make a lot of sense rationally.

12. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

But his point about how quick people were to blame "Tea Partiers" and even Sarah Palin for that loon that shot the Democratic Senator was spot on. Turned out he was just crazy, and his former political affiliations were more to the left (not that they mean anything, as I said he was just crazy).

Same now. For all we know it the shooter may have all sorts of wacky motivations, instead of just wanting to "shoot dem arabs".

13. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Sure. I just wanted to point out that "shoot dem arabs" is at least a motivation, while "I'm a psychopath, so I'm supposed to do that I guess" is not.

Of course that doesn't say anything about how probable this motivation is.

14. Aroddo

Aroddo Emperor

You can't ever be 100% sure.
    However you can see patterns ... and one pattern is that rightwingers incite the masses with hate speeches and a short time later someone starts killing.
    And afterwards the rabble rousers twiddle their thumbs, blink innocently into the cameras and lament the despicable actions of the lone criminals whose actions they deplore, of course.

15. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

To immediately turn this tragedy into overblown rambling about American culture is an exercise in extremely poor taste

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

Agreed. It's tempting to rationalize tragedy, and it's easy, but it is not terribly reliable and and it's horridly tacky.

17. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I really don't see how anyone in their right minds can blame a shooting like the one at the cinema on "rightwingers inciting the masses with hate speeches".

Even the Gabrielle Giffords shooting, which had a higher probability of having been committed by radical right-winger, turned out to have been perpetrated by a crazy person who couldn't be further politically from typical American right-wingers.

So yeah, you jumping at conclusions about how this reflects on the American right is pretty inappropriate.

18. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Milwaukee news reported the guy has tattoos connected with white supremist groups. While he may very well be a crazy person, I think suspecting ideology had something to do with it makes more sense than with Colorado or Arizona.

But yeah, mulitple shootouts in the past 30 days. Crazy for a country as wealthy as ours.

19. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Fixed that for you.

20. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

No you didn't. The United States is a rich country. Even our poor people are substantially better off than say, Somalia, or the Congo, or even Columbia. We are a rich country with poor people...we shouldn't have violence like this.

Milwaukee press conference just stated that the guy was in a white power heavy metal band. Welp...