1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

and another massacre in the USA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aroddo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Yeah, it definitely could have been a lot worse.

2. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

What's strange about it? Somewhere around fifteen thousand people get murdered in the U.S. every year; the assailant in this particular case is not special at all. He is (excuse me--WAS) just another murdering dirtbag.

3. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

I'd like our non-American posters - esp. Arwon - to know that BasketCase is 100% correct.

20-30 years ago the "average" or "normal" American murder killed a single spouse, personal or business rival, or robbery victim at a time. Well, maybe 2 at a time.

But today the average murderer tends to be armed with several automatic weapons, kills multiple strangers, and has some form of insanity that just happens to manifest itself as homicidal tendencies following right-wing talking points.

"Massacres" are SOP in the USA. In some municipalities any murder of less than .0002% of the population is now considered routine and gets no special attention from the police or media. It's only when there's something especially sensational - like Batman or turbans - that you seen the crime receiving any attention.

It's simply the price a free nation is willing to pay to guarantee terrorists get all the guns they want and madmen stay colorfully feisty.

I don't know what they do in Australia for entertainment. Presumably it's usually something that doesn't involve guns...? (I was going to say "drinking", but I'm not sure that's any fun without a concealed weapon on your person.)

4. Gary Childress

Gary Childress Student for and of life

I swear, sometimes I think some people do this kind of stuff just to get their picture on the front page headlines. Otherwise I can't imagine why this seems to happen so much now and seemingly not so much in the past.

5. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

What makes you assume this is something that can be fixed?

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Shouldn't we at least try?

7. Aroddo

Aroddo Emperor

The average american says no.

8. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Can you though? I hate to quote a tired anti-gun laws talking point, but criminals will find ways to get firearms, no matter how severe the gun control laws are. It will be harder, yes, but it will still happen.

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Why focus on an absolute zero-death goal? Why can't we enact policies that reduce the average number of deaths per year? Why should the opposition naming an impossible goal prevent everyone else from attempting to achieve a realistic one?

10. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

Enact mandatory - carrying of as a minimum a side arm and training in functional and appropriate usage for all able-bodied citizen - or - functional training and equipment as a 1'st/2'nd echelon medic.
    In the name of freedom force everybody to defend or care for everybody else. ;)

11. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

That could create a situation in which a shooter is shot, then the shooter's shooter is observed shooting someone and is shot, and the shooter's shooter's shooter is shot... I know you're not serious but a lot of people do seem to believe that if everyone's armed and regards day-to-day life as a war zone, then it'll be safer.

12. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

Yes, and that is why it won't work. In order for it to work everybody "drafted" in this sense would have to regular and continuous training in not to "just shoot and ask questions later", and that is communism, because "nobody is going to learn me who I am going to shot, this is a free country."