1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

And I got Nuked...... Help please for a newb

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Zardnaar, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

and reloaded and managed to cut a peace deal. Anyways. I was at war with America and the Romans. I was kicking the Amercans butt and advancing on washington and two nuked took out my most productive cities. I was also invading the Romans with 8 Modern Armor, 8 Artillery and 8 mech infantry with the objective of destroying the capital and the spaceships.

I was quite happily sailing around when one of my battleships with the go to command stumbled across a submarine and sunk it- I didn't relise straight away though and the Romans managed to sink my transport with my artillery.

To cut a long story short it was fubar. My troops had to disembark in the wrong landing zone and with 2 carriers full of bombers and 3 battleships and destroyers have been unable to seize a Roman town yet and they're starting to hit me back. My war vs the Americans was going well if a bit slow for my taste. I had just about broken through the outer ring of cities defending Washington (the plan was for a naval assault) and they started to fire ICBMs at me (I have a singular tactical nuke).

The war started 5-10 turns to early for me and I saved over my reload game by mistake. Intead of a rapid advance on Washington and Rome with artillery. I wanted to grab a few key techs 1st and have Stealth bombers in my carriers 1st but I had to move my fleet somewhat early and research it on the way.

This is my 1st game on regent and I have been trying to win militarily as I have had a diplomatic victory before.

BTW whats the deal with Coal? In 4-5 games of civ I have played I have never got it and had to fight for it as the AI rarely trades it. In this current game I also had to seize Oil, Aluminium and Saltpetre. I was in the lead for until I had to have a couple of brief wars to secure my resources.

2. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

First thing you should do is NEVER fight a war with 2 fronts (or more), it's a recipe for disaster.

Sue for peace with the Romans at your first opportunity. Then concentrate all your might on the Americans. Then you're more likely to win.

3. JustBen

JustBen Prince

Are you under pressure from Roman/American spaceships? If so, you should probably concede the Roman beachhead and try again when you're better prepared for it. It seems like you're in a much better position to burn Washington to the ground and just generally gut the Americans.

Getting nuked definitely does suck, but it's not the end of the world (har, har). Get yourself a submarine for your tactical nuke and use it -- it might help you to establish that Roman beachhead if you can find yourelf a nice stack of Roman units to drop it on.

If you're happy with a Conquest victory instead of Domination, maybe you should step up the nuclear production efforts (Leaders are great for this) and start burning everything to the ground. It's not the best strategy by a longshot, but it sure is fun.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

4. TruBigDog

TruBigDog Chieftain

Since you've been nuked, have other civs declared war against whoever bombed you? I'll assume you've tried striking deals for assistance in your wars.

Sometimes you can't help fighting on two fronts as one enemy may establish a military agreement with another. I would produce a large stockpile of missles (cruisers, tacts and ICBMs) along with as many bombers as you can afford to produce. I use the bombers to soften up enemy cities, weaken approaching troops/units and cut off access to their resources. I use cruise missles almost exclusively against tanks/advanced armour and mech infantry units and occssionally on cities.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Creating Scenarios

Planning is the key. If you must have a war on two fronts you want to make sure that you keep to your objectives. If you manage to secure one set of objectives quickly then move all offencive units out of the theatre and to the other front whilst replacing some of them with some defencive units. The AI think that it is only a matter of time before you attack more of their cities and so will be ready for peace thus allowing you to concetrate on your other target.