And now for a thread NOT about A Game of Thrones. Let's talk about WorldBuilder.

UnholyMudcrab

Chieftain
Lately it seems like I'm addicted to WorldBuilder. I'm sure some of you know the feeling:

"Man, this city sure would benefit from some more food. I'm sure no one would care if this wet corn appeared out of nowhere. And while we're at it, let's add a couple workers, because you can never have too many, right?" ;)

or

"This enemy city is really heavily defended, and it's on a hill to boot! Why don't we delete a few archers and turn the hill into grassland. Even the odds a bit, you know?"

It's gotten to the point where I bring up WB every time I run into a little problem, almost like a reflex. I haven't had a "legitimate" win (defined by me as a win where WB wasn't used) in some time. :( Any tips on breaking my WB addiction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If use World Builder than use it with full power.. i love sometimes make my capital as superpower with 16 forested flood plain gold mines (I guess that was the way to get 3F 2H 8C per tile) + 4 forested fish tiles (gives 6F 1H 3C before Moai + 50% defense and 2x movement) with all other game resources around it in 3rd and 4th circle... and.... play 1 City Challenge on some high level for fun :D
After that its much easier to play normal game without WB :)

An easier game is not necessarily more fun, but no one likes to take a beating either.

My advice would be to find a difficulty level where you can pursue the aspects that you find most enjoyable. If you're achieving your goals you should have confidence in your abilities, which should help keep the game 'clean' so to speak. :thumbsup:

Only time I use world build is on a game I feel like I've already won and killing off the game would be a chore.

5 modern armours next to each enemy city and victory on the next turn! :)

Learn to deal with adversity. Don't be like "this looks too hard to deal with, I'm gonna delete it!"

The only time in the past several years that I've used worldbuilder was during a Revolutions Mod game when Monty declared war on me and I had no idea where his empire was. So I revealed the map, found the Aztecs, and then closed worldbuilder.

Only time I ever used Worldbuilder was to look at the differences between Tropical, Temperate, Arid and Rocky maps and to see the different map-scripts.

Using Worldbuilder in a game one plays, means, one is cheating onesself, and that's the lamest thing one can do. If one plays forum-games and cheats others, that's not that bad, cheating on onesself is always the worst case, because it shows, that oneself can't stand the truth.

I can understand that it begins as thought "fun" , but everybody who cheats lives a lie. Tell yourself that everytime you want to, if it's ok for you, it's ok, if it's not, join HoF Community and let yourself get controlled by Denniz and Methos, then you have absolutely no chance to cheat yourself.

I've used WB to resurrect dead civilizations to make things interesting, or assign cities between my vassals, and once or twice I unvasslized civs as part of peace treaties (features that should be in the game to begin with)

Sometimes I also use it to get rid of those pesky 1 square islands, and once I created a landbridge between my continent and my rivals, because I didn't feel like building transports.

Using Worldbuilder is totally lame.

This. I never used it in any game I still intended to finish. If a game is lost, it's lost. I rather abandon it than cheat myself with worldbuilder. I guess this is all just a matter of attitude... ;) All you have to do is try to get the proper one.

I didn't even realize there was a worldbuilder until a couple days ago when I accidently clicked on it in the menu. I can't think of a reason I'd ever go in, except to look at different map types after they generate.

Any tips on breaking my WB addiction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, first step when you want to get rid of any addiction is to recognize it and publicly confess your bad habits. So you are on the right path ;)
I stopped smoking three months ago. When a friend ask me how did I do, my answer is always the same: Simply I haven't light any cigarette again. That's what you need to do: DO NOT CLICK ON THAT WorldBuilder BUTTON AND DON'T PRES Ctrl+W ANYMORE NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

I use it only to discern an 'even spread' when messing with mods. I dispise when an otherwise challenging ai starts in that patch of crap surrounded by snow/mountain/ocean.

Also, occassionally I drop uranium and oil by AIs starter cities... esp if they are on an island.

If I am about to lose I usually spawn barb infantry and nukes. They typically raise hell and annihilate the world.

The only time I've used WB to cheat was when Bismarck declared war on me simply because he hated me (through no fault of mine) so I just restored friendly relations. But after that he was friendly forever. It was kind of creepy.

And 1-tile islands are both annoying and just wierd.

Oh another time after I won domination, there were still some decent sized nations left, so I gave everyone every tech, then declared war on them all

I've never used it in a game, but I do use it frequently to check mod art, or to set up a situation where an event that I'm working on might trigger. In those cases I play a few turns.

It's natural for humans to want to take the easy way out and use WB. The problem is that the game becomes less fun. Eventually, the person will quit out of boredom and miss all of the wonderfulness and majesty of Civ4. :(

@Jordiflor
As a former nurse, I applaud your choice in quitting smoking. Well done, and congratulations!

:band:

The problem is that the game becomes less fun. Eventually, the person will quit out of boredom and miss all of the wonderfulness and majesty of Civ4. :(

Fully agree. I think they made it a little bit too easy to access it. At least they should have left a note in the replay whenever WB is used - as they do for new sessions started.

Use the "Lock Modified Assets" and that will definitely stop you from using World Builder.

Doesn't that also lock out any mods you're using?

Also, I had no idea that WB was so frowned upon here. All the extra incentive to stop using it, I guess. :lol: Maybe a couple of games as Julius Caesar will help. He seems to be the go-to guy when you're having trouble with the game.

Top Bottom