1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

...and now the games don't work

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Ghost, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

Hi
    in the last 2 weeks I have had2 posts about computer problems. In both I decided to buy a new video card. Specificly the Geforce 6600GT AGP 126mb from XFX. I ordered it from newegg.com and got it this morning.

I put the card in and installed the drivers. Then I tried to play a game. After about 30 seconds the game froze, then my computer switched screens to a blue screen with some writing for about half a second and then it restarted.

I'v tried playing all my games with the same results. Sometimes it just quits the game and shows me an error message asking me if I want to send it to MS.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?
    Can it have something to do with the drivers from my old card?

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Possibly. What was your old card, and how did you go about uninstalling it? Did you just unplug it and plug-in the new one, or did you make sure to remove the drivers as well?

If not, then try looking under "add / remove programs" in the control panel to uninstall the drivers.

Note that some games actually tailor the display details etc to the installed card - some do this every time the game starts, some do this when the game is first installed. It might help to try uninstalling and reinstalling one of the games, although if this problem is consistent over a number of games (as your post suggests), then its probably more likely to be some other sort of problem.

3. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

another thing: card manufacturers often deliver the card with old drivers, you might want to check out their website or nvidia.com for more recent drivers. maybe they'll resolve this problem

4. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

Are the drivers from Nvidia.com different from the ones at XFX.com?
    which ones should I use?

5. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

Also when I went into the add/remove programs thing there was only one driver and it was called: "Nvidia drivers"
    I never uninstalled the last one. What do I do now?

6. Lozzy_Ozzy

Lozzy_Ozzy Rapture

Nvidia.com

I'm not sure what to do with uninstallation, but I do know you should uninstall them when you remove the card (as others have mentioned).

Hope it can be fixed :goodjob:.

Ozzy

7. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

I uninstalled all of the drivers and reinstalled the newest ones.
    Nothing changed. The games still crash

8. ainwood

What brand was your old card?

Do you get any error messages, or just a reboot?

What is the wattage of your power supply? Its possible that the new card pushes it over the limit.

9. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

My old card was a Geforce 4 mx440

Sometimes I get an error message that asks me if i want to send the report to MS
    Sometimes my moniter turns balck and after about 2 seconds the computer restarts
    Sometimes my computer just freezes

I have a TigerPro 300W PSU

Could my PSU be the problem?

10. ainwood

300W should generally be OK - depending on what else you've got running with it. The monitor turning black and computer restarting is typically what you'd see with a lack of power supply, but the error message asking if you want to report it to m$ is not, neither is the computer freezing (As far as I know).

If your old card was a geForce, then that explains why the drivers were the same - but it sounds like you've since installed the latest driver anyway.

The 'problem' with those 'do you want to send this to microsoft' error reports is that they tell you virtually nothing about what the actual problem is.

11. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

ya I know
    those thing are lame

i'm going to put this card in a different computer and see what happens.

12. ainwood

I noticed a reference to driver cleaner in the other thread about nVidia drivers. It might be worth you running that - download it here. Can't hurt - instructions are on the link page.

13. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

If you are getting the same problems before and after changing the graphics card, then this is a common problem during the summer months.

If it is a new problem after installing the graphics card, do a search on Google for you your motherboard & graphics card combination. You may find that core-logic drivers need updating, or the BIOS needs editing, or in a worse case scenario the motherboard simply cannot provide enough juice and needs hacking (though this is rare).

14. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

Not the same problem
    It was better before switching cards.
    Before it just froze
    now there are different problems

15. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

when changing video cards, it is always smart idea to reinstall Windows.

16. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

I put my card into a new computer and it worked fine with all the games
    I'm going to format it, reinsatll winodw on it and bring all my importand stuff onto my new computer. Then hopefully it will work

Thank You for everything guys

17. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

I installed a new video card and didn't reinstall windows and it works just fine.

18. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

I had the same problem and although this probably wont help but I struggled with it for a few days and then my dad got an extra processor. (my MB can support 3 processors) Because of that though I had to reinstall windows and with it evedrything else and the card started working. I think your problem is not removing the old drivers and because of that the old ones look for the old video card which is gone and that makes windows crash. That blue screen you get, what does it say? if it ays some ID like numbers and letters and then says that something is unequal or of that sort then its the drivers. Remove both fully and then reinstall the new card drivers and look on Nvidia.com for some more up to date ones.

19. cidknee

cidknee Emperor

ummm ok. whatever. Ive changed my vidoe card 5 times, never had to reinstall windows. Thats like saying when fixing you winshield u have to change the engine.
    Makes no sense.
    You should clear off any old drivers, update your bios and get the latest drivers from the company.
    reinstall windows..... lol, i like that

20. Ghost

Ghost Warlord

I now have a new problem
    please check my new thread:
    ...and now the games dont work(2)