And this is why war is inevitable.

Arcaian

Warlord
Spoiler :

Coveting my lands. Look at that map.

Playing a huge map with only 4 civs to try out liberty, it's been pretty fun, but Jesus Christ Germany really doesn't need my lands. It hasn't even settled the King Solomon's Mines just outside its borders!

The AI doesn't take into account distance, which would explain why it settles cities all over the map.

The AI doesn't take into account distance, which would explain why it settles cities all over the map.

Oh I know, it's just ridiculous that it happens. Normally it's not as noticeable, but on Huge with 4 players it's just crazy he wants my tiny bit of land out of all that, probably some flaw to fix in that AI mod too.

Take it as a compliment. It means you've chosen good locations for your cities.

Your screenshot looks foggy. I hope you don't play the game like that.

Oh I know, it's just ridiculous that it happens. Normally it's not as noticeable, but on Huge with 4 players it's just crazy he wants my tiny bit of land out of all that, probably some flaw to fix in that AI mod too.

Things just get weird on huge maps. Since CivV doesn't have a city distance maintenance cost (except roads), the AI throws cities around all over the continent, sometimes not even claiming resources.

I think there actually might be some weight for distance, or otherwise the AI wouldn't have any adjoining cities half the time, but it definitely does not take distance into account well when it comes to diplomacy.

Except when you "settle too close" to them of course. :rolleyes:

Take it as a compliment. It means you've chosen good locations for your cities.

True :p I'm not sure if I'm still meant to settle with 1 lux for 1 city when playing liberty? Been following that, exceptions for nice NWs (el dorado is crazy early game) or very useful spots (mountain+river+nice production). Playing as Egypt it's actually giving me some excess happiness - got happiness from Burial Tomb (2 per city), colosseum (2 per city), circus maximus (5), Chichen itza (4), city connection (1) means I get 5 per city (2 pop city) without any luxes... might be able to do 1 lux per 2 cities, then that'd be an average of pop 4 without anything else thrown in.

some particular AI seem (imo) to always disregard distance, size, resources when they Covet. two of these are Zulu and Russia. every time i first meet them on a huge continent, the next turn they are Coveting my lands.

some particular AI seem (imo) to always disregard distance, size, resources when they Covet. two of these are Zulu and Russia. every time i first meet them on a huge continent, the next turn they are Coveting my lands.

Really? Zulu I agree with, he's just always wanting your lands. But Russia I've occasionally had some nice games with.

both of these civs can also go Friendly for quite a long time even while coveting. in some games, if Russia doesn't try to spread her religion and you infect her completely, then she is basically a wonderful ally. i really like the way, at least how it seems to me, that Russia AI's attitude can really vary game by game.

from what it seems to me, Shaka can be easy to be friendly once enough AI's denounce/DoW him, but that's not a unique trait though.

Yeah, the AI really should take distance into account when rating the desirability of potential city spots.

Okay, I guess they probably already do somehow, since they do build contiguous empires most of the time, but, as the screenshot above shows...

Yeah, the AI really should take distance into account when rating the desirability of potential city spots.

Okay, I guess they probably already do somehow, since they do build contiguous empires most of the time, but, as the screenshot above shows...

Unfortunately they also tend to just drop 3 tiles apart without really considering whether the spot is good. There could be a much better spot 4 or 5 tiles away from the capital but they just prefer to go 1-2-3-city because counting higher is hard :(

Top Bottom