Anglo-Germanic Confederacy Faction?

You only edited that into your post after I'd typed up my response. Anyway, since there's nothing we inherently disagree on, I think we can consider the matter settled.

Last edited by GeoModder; Sep 07, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

My last memory of your post was prior to the addendum you added. If for some bizarre reason you want to escalate this by calling me liar, that's your prerogative. But it seems like you're making something out of nothing.

Its as bizarre for me to equate an edit where I added a link to Kozlov's speech to the masses for your convenience (in the same minute you posted) as an alleged edit to change my stance on whether or not Russia alone consists of the Slavic Federation.

Moderator Action: Please stop squabbling about who said what when, and get back to the topic (which, BTW, has nothing to do with the Slavic Federation, which has its own thread).

In that light, I'd expect (the remainder of?) Great Britain to have joined Franco-Iberia. :p Culturally seen much closer.

But most english people hate france ;P

(Warning: Race war debate incoming) - I joke.

I personally would see the majority of England except London and the Lowland sea-side areas near france, would associate more with a Slavic or Northern nation ideology. Especially if you go back culturally wise, English and Slavic / Nordic mythology has a lot of similar creatures, and I'm assuming a "Great Mistake" would send the majority of earth dwellers back a couple hundred years or nearly 1000 years technologically and culturally.

But this is all speculation :p

So what do you think of the idea back on topic of the ease of which one would be able to mod their own faction in, in the even that they don't release a dlc nation of Anglo-Germanic origins ?

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but there may be another - very simple - fact which may explain the current layout of Europe chosen by Firaxis and be an argument for the future implementation of an Anglo-Scandinavian-German faction: language. The nations allegedly part of Franco-Iberia all speak Romance languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, etc.). Most nations of the Slavic Federation speak, well, Slavic languages. Now, English, Dutch, German and all Scandinavian languages (except Finnish) are all Germanic languages...

In addition to the absence of Britain and Central/Northern Europe, what happened to the Middle East?

I like to think their fates became somehow intertwined during the Great Mistake, which eventually led to something that left Germany and Scandinavia a smoldering crater.

That would also help explain why France and the Iberian peninsula decided to shack up while Eastern Europe fell back into Russia's sphere of influence.

Greco-Persian Empire
Once easy oil supplies began to run out and global trade collapsed, the middle east economy collapsed. After the EU Civil War (aka WW IV), militarized South European nations turned their attention eastward (rather than toward the recovering Slavic Federation) to areas even less organized, and ignored by the world. They rapidly conquered areas in the middle east (a few areas joined willingly to be spared from the chaos). When they reached the border of the Kavithan Protectorate (which had partially formed as a fear of this expansionist menace) the conglomeration was reorganized into the Greco-Persian Empire. The empire holds together by allowing its parts significant internal freedom, and maintaining nothing but trade, taxes and military control.

Bonus: Each city gets 0.2 health per population Over 10, 0.2 health per population in the capital

I personally would see the majority of England except London and the Lowland sea-side areas near france, would associate more with a Slavic or Northern nation ideology. Especially if you go back culturally wise, English and Slavic / Nordic mythology has a lot of similar creatures,

Eh, that's like saying "English and Iranian culture are pretty similar because if you go back far enough they spoke the same Proto-Indo-European language". It's a moot point to say the least. Sorry, but I can't see your average blue collar Scouser identifying with, say, liberal Dutch/Swedish/Danish culture just because once upon a time said peoples all believed in some incarnation of Wotan, I don't care what disaster preceded it.

Besides, ever seen middle-aged English tourists in continental Europe (or anywhere else for that matter)? I know I'm stereotyping, and it isn't all of them, but it's waaaaaaay too common to hear the English do nothing but complain about how foreign everything is, and how much better things are on their island. Sorry, but I don't see anyone in continental Europe lining up to get all cozy with the English on their way to a new planet. Hell, it's frustrating enough having to sit next to Chavs on a flight from Frankfurt to Istanbul. :p

and I'm assuming a "Great Mistake" would send the majority of earth dwellers back a couple hundred years or nearly 1000 years technologically and culturally.

I might just be too much of a cynic and pessimist for my own good, but I would suspect any catastrophe in the near future would be more likely to inspire all kinds of xenophobia and nationalism driving wedges between disparate people, not bringing people of diverse cultures and languages together. I think a more likely storyline for BE would be a wave of English nationalism resulting in power returning to the royal family and the subjugation of the British Isles' Celtic population. I could see future England bringing Ireland entirely under the British monarch's yoke (sorry Ireland :()while suppressing any thoughts of Scottish or Welsh independence (and any other dissent for that matter), but again, I'm a cynic; maybe the future is cheerier than I envision.

Also given the premise of the game is colonizing other planets for the first time in human history I don't think the great mistake was a huge speed bump for mankind technologically. ;)

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but there may be another - very simple - fact which may explain the current layout of Europe chosen by Firaxis and be an argument for the future implementation of an Anglo-Scandinavian-German faction: language. The nations allegedly part of Franco-Iberia all speak Romance languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, etc.). Most nations of the Slavic Federation speak, well, Slavic languages. Now, English, Dutch, German and all Scandinavian languages (except Finnish) are all Germanic languages...

There's a bit more of a historical precedent for Pan-Slavism (aka: Russian hegemony) in Eastern Europe, and for France/Spain/Portugal/Italy being under the same flag than for nations speaking Germanic languages being united. Actually nations speaking Germanic languages staying independent of one another tends to be more the norm throughout history (think the Battle of Britain most recently). I'd also argue that just in terms of language as you're suggesting there tends to be more mutual intelligibility in the Romance and Slavic languages (to a degree anyway, I'm not suggesting a Czech speaker should have no problem understanding a Macedonian or Belarusian speaker) than within the various Germanic language branches. So for example while Portuguese, Spanish, and Galician speakers in a hypothetical Franco-Iberia are going to enjoy some level of mutual intelligibility, and the leap from French to these languages isn't so severe (although there's a lack of mutual intelligibility at least the vocabulary is generally familiar and sentence structure isn't incredibly foreign) you can't convince me for a second that English speakers and, say, Austro-Bavarian speakers are going to jump to unify based on speaking languages in the same language family despite being no where close to mutually intelligible.

Eh, that's like saying "English and Iranian culture are pretty similar because if you go back far enough they spoke the same Proto-Indo-European language". It's a moot point to say the least. Sorry, but I can't see your average blue collar Scouser identifying with, say, liberal Dutch/Swedish/Danish culture just because once upon a time said peoples all believed in some incarnation of Wotan, I don't care what disaster preceded it.

Besides, ever seen middle-aged English tourists in continental Europe (or anywhere else for that matter)? I know I'm stereotyping, and it isn't all of them, but it's waaaaaaay too common to hear the English do nothing but complain about how foreign everything is.

Most of northen england has a high eastern european population, and likes to associate alot with its Anglo-saxon/Scandinavian past. I can't see them going any other way, especially as if it was a choice between the french and the slavs, the northern english which I obviously am one, would go with eastern europe, Northern England does not like the south, or france. So I think your Nationalism argument is moot, because England would be much more likely to pally up with the smaller Eastern European countries, like england and its "Dream of Albion" than france, too much bad blood.

Most middle aged tourists complaining about how foreign everything is are usually from the south, I love other cultures, I don't like the condescending watering down of culture to sort of fit everyone together in a non-culture, I love different cultures and traditions, hence when I travel I don't complain about the culture, try and speak the language and actually get along with their customs.

Most of northen england has a high eastern european population, and likes to associate alot with its Anglo-saxon/Scandinavian past. I can't see them going any other way, especially as if it was a choice between the french and the slavs, the northern english which I obviously am one, would go with eastern europe, Northern England does not like the south, or france. So I think your Nationalism argument is moot, because England would be much more likely to pally up with the smaller Eastern European countries, like england and its "Dream of Albion" than france, too much bad blood.

Oh by all means, I would have rolled my eyes really hard if a French and English sponsor had been announced for the game, or the English-Polish union or something silly like that (although I would enjoy that for trolling BNP supporters) I just think it's going to take all kinds of suspension of disbelief to see an English faction that isn't extremely nationalist and at least a little xenophobic towards continental Europe, Germanic speaking or not. Besides, it's not like there's some rule in writing the backstory for a sponsor that says you HAVE to start lumping countries together willy nilly. Maybe if the storyline is that the English conquered large regions of northern Europe I would buy that, but not as a voluntary union or confederation. As a future version of the Commonwealth, or with Ireland back in the fold is pretty damn reasonable, saying English and Scandanavian/German/Dutch cultures are super similar so they decided to join forces in spaaaaaaaaaaaace is not.

Most middle aged tourists complaining about how foreign everything is are usually from the south, I love other cultures, I don't like the condescending watering down of culture to sort of fit everyone together in a non-culture, I love different cultures and traditions, hence when I travel I don't complain about the culture, try and speak the language and actually get along with their customs.

I think it's a very specific generation of English tourists who are guilty of this (well, and chavs, but no one likes chavs so whatever). It's like American tourists with their fannypacks, Russian tourists with their bad manners, and Chinese tourists talking loudly at inappropriate times in the world of stereotypical bad tourists if you catch my meaning. :D

Well, for what it is worth, in the recent Hutama reveal on Facebook, when asked why there is no UK faction, the admin responded that there is no UK faction "at least for now". So they may have already plans for this in a DLC/XP. ;)

I don't understand why ppl insist. I seems clear and it has been saidf many times from the hints and stuff discussed here, that central europe and Britain have been destroyed during the Great Mistake (as in economically destroyed, or physically, politically, etc.).

so they failed at the Science Victory and wont send a spaceship ;). Or they will, when they recover (expansion stuff). Deal with it and play another faction :)

Well, there's no UK-Germany-Scandinavia Faction because it will be sold in some DLC a la Spain+Inca in CiV. One of the most expected Civilizations for the Spanish (Spain) and South America (Inca). They just do it for the money. What does it sell better? => The Germanic Union or the Eco-Antartica-Penguin Confederation (EAPC for the win).

Top Bottom