1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Animal and Barbarian Spawning

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Caradoc, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

Do I recall correctly that Animals and Barbarians spawn only in certain eras?

But is there some defined time when Barbarians begin to found cities? And are Animals removed at some point?

I imagine this is already covered somewhere, and if so, I'd be grateful for a reference.

2. TCGTRF

TCGTRF Warlord

Animals and barbarians only spawn in areas that are outside your cultural boundaries and in the "fog of war", that darker space beyond Line of Sight of your units. You should put someone on hilltops outside the boundaries of your civilization to prevent them from spawning (or to allow them to spawn in controlled spaces so you can get your units experience.)

There's a set date at which barbarian cities begin to spawn. I do not know the parameters of it, nor how game speed or difficulty changes it.

Tom

3. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

Animals always spawn first. barbarians begin to appear at a base year of 2000 BC, but depend on difficulty (the higher, the sooner they appear) and if raging barbs is on. I've encountered a barbarian warrior on emporer in 3600 BW with raging barbs turned on.

Barbs if left sufficiently alone found a city. I think its a probability thing

4. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

You can get an early barbarian by popping a hut. I don't think I've otherwise encountered any before 2000 BC. Animals seem to disappear about the time the barbarians come in. I do sometimes encounter a wandering barbarian warrior after encountering barbarian axemen and archers.

5. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

I have not played on a wide range of difficulties, so I don't know how that affects things. However, the animals and barbarians seem to come in stages:

1. Nothing -- at first there are none of either around
    2. Animals arrive -- they seem to come all at once, spread out
    3. Barbarian warriors arrive -- same as animals, animals are still around but no longer spawn
    4. Barbarian archers arrive -- any remaining animals are taken away and warriors begin to guard goody huts. I believe this happens when a Barabarian randomly moves next to the hut.
    5. Barbarian axemen/swordsmen/spearmen arrive -- any warriors already on the map stay, but they are no longer spawned

Barbarian cities start to appear at about stage 4.

I just wish I knew what causes the stage to change.

Raging Barbarians seems to increase the frequency of spawning but does not appear to make them any more aggressive. Somehow, they seem to know where your cities are even with the FOW.