1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Animal Husbandry

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Draino, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Draino

Draino Chieftain

I was wondering when you discover AH if the areas you have already explored will make the horses resource appear. I have played many games on noble and warlord and I seriously have never seen the resource untill I attack another civ.

I usually play on the Oasis map, could that be the reason?

Are there any other maps that don't have much water in which this resource is more available? Because I have found that it is a big militaristic jump to have horses.

FYI I don't have the warlords expansion.

2. Mr. Civtastic

Mr. Civtastic Prince

AH will reveal horses on the map.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Yes. Once you have the tech to reveal a resource, you will see that resource on the map whether or not the tile it's on is currently visible. As long as you explored that tile at some point in the past, to reveal it (or if you traded maps to reveal it).

4. FuRRie

FuRRie King

on Oasis most of the special resources are found in the center near the actual "oasis" if i ain't mistaking.

5. Draino

Draino Chieftain

Yeah I realize that. Is it just that horses are rare? its normal to have to 2 of each resource of just about anything except horses.

6. FuRRie

FuRRie King

Pretty much, horses isn't a resource which is in abundance.

7. Rexflex

Rexflex Prince

Yes, in the CIV4BonusInfos.xml file, horses have a random chance of 10% and a minimum tile per resource of 256, compared to the more common wheat, corn, bananas, pigs or cows with a random chance of 25% and a minimum tile per resource of 16.

8. Olleus

Olleus Deity

horses are aboutas common as iron or copper in my experience, which makes sence as it is a strategic resource, and not a health or happiness resource.

9. curtadams

curtadams Warlord

On normal games you will quite frequently see horses appear in or near your territory. On Oasis you never will IIRC because the player always starts in the south and the horses are always in the north.

10. Draino

Draino Chieftain

Cheers guys, that statitical information really helps. i find copper and iron both appear a lot more often on the map.

May have to change maps. What would you guys recommend as a good map that doesn't have too much water?

11. curtadams

curtadams Warlord

Lakes and Highlands don't have much water, and don't have the setup quirks of Oasis. Highlands doesn't wrap, though. Water is largely irrelevant in Pangaea worlds, too.

12. lilnev

lilnev King

Give Great Plains a shot. Or just play Pangaea.

peace,
    lilnev

13. Pantastic

Pantastic King

Lakes only has a few, well, lakes in it, great plains has very little water, 'central sea' has water but its all in the middle ocean, pangea has oceans but since there's one landmass they pretty much just act as borders, terra is line pangea with a second barb-only continent (there are oceans, but not between you and any civs). If you play on lakes, brace yourself for tons of barbs - it's a fun map type, but there's a ton of space for them to spawn.

14. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Yes, horses should be a very rare resource, as they remain within 200 yards of where they are born. Or is that mosquitos? Say, I just realized "How can there be corn in the old world in 4000 B.C.?"

15. Codeman

Codeman King

because the creators of civ were making a game, not history lesson. effort was made to be as realistic as possible without hindering gameplay to the point of making it no fun. if you want it out of the old world on all terra maps, mod it.