1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Animal maintenance

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Raledon, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Raledon

Raledon Warlord

It seems that there is an issue with captured animal's maintenance.
    On the face of it, they do not count toward unit maintenance, as sacrificing them do not change the number of supported units.
    On the other hand, some of them do- I sacrificed a large number of animals, and some of them did lower the number of supported units. I think bears were one of them.
    Another similar issue I encountered is when constructing buildings with animals, such as feather worker (from a pigeon), sometimes my income would decrease, instead of rise.

While there might be clear reasoning for what is going on, at the best it's unclear, and at worst a bug.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's just the funny math that comes from trying to make these animals, as a group, have some support cost but not as much as a full unit. On size matters, this interacts with size and volume adjustments to support costs and so in some cases units actually have a slight negative support cost so are giving more to the nation than they take. It's rare now. And sometimes you'll see some animal removals reduce your expenses because their removal consititutes the last portion of a fraction of a unit to be supported.

You have a good eye for the accounting of your nation if you can spot these things. Well done. Also, stock v37 had a bigger imbalance issue with this than the SVN version does now as some work was done to smooth the issue a bit since then.

3. Raledon

Raledon Warlord

The issue came back, in some strange way.
    Occurrences: taking a bird and building the feathers building (forgot the name). I expect to see an increase in income (+1 from the building, possible reduction due to lower maintenance). Instead, my maintenance went higher.
    This occurred again when I sacrificed a number of beasts for research/happiness- the maintenance got raised.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

If your maintenance is lowered you Will have more income. Maint does not get raised when you use animals for any of the things you can do with them. The more animals you keep the more you pay for keeping. When you use the animals the cost of upkeep goes down so your income increases. Has always been this way. Must say you seem confused about maint. overall.

5. Raledon

Raledon Warlord

You are describing the the expected behavior. In most cases, consuming animals does, indeed, cause a reduction in maintenance and increase in income.
    The reason I am reporting it is that the game does not actually follow the expected behavior, in some cases. In the examples above, that's what happened.

EDIT: In the previous post, I accidently wrote "my income went higher.". I was mixing words, and meant to say that the maintenance got higher. I edited the previous post to reflect that.

6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

And when you say maintenance you really mean unit upkeep?

7. Raledon

Raledon Warlord

Yes, exactly.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's not a bug, just some funny math that can take place when you're paying very close attention. Units on size matters have a modifier to reduce the unit upkeep cost because of size or group volume. Animals get a modifier to attempt to allow you to store up more. On size matters, between the two, SOME animals actually get a positive, but generally just the very small ones. Without trying to build a differing modifier for size-matters vs non-size-matters games, we get this effect on occasion. I suppose it's exploitable but I haven't found it enough of a problem to try to further address.

9. Raledon

Raledon Warlord

Funny... I'd expect everything below a certain size to cost 0, instead of granting money.
    In the future, how do I actually check the size of animals (or in our case, what kind of upkeep it will have), so I wouldn't mistake it again?

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Perhaps I should limit it to 0 somehow but it's very difficult to do with the way it's coded.

You can check out the unit's combat classes to see its group volume and size categories. You can even do the math if you're good at following all the details.

11. Raledon

Raledon Warlord

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out the next time I encounter it!