Annexing

Santa Maria

Warlord
How much unhappiness do I get for annexing a city?
Or puppeting?
What is the difference in unhappiness between annexing and puppeting?

And how does my unhappiness drop with building the courthouse?

thanks

It tells you whenever you conquered a city how much unhappiness you'll get, then use a calculator or you mind and you can find the number.

EDIT: Courthouses make annexed cities act like normal cities.

Unless you have an ideological tenet that gives a free courthouse always puppet initially (if you are planning on keeping the city at all.)

But without that tenet, wait until the city comes out of resistance before annexing, but unless its a capital, its generally not worth while to annex.

Mechanics are as above; a city with a court house is a normal city (unless Autocracy still has the old policy that reduced unhappiness in cities with a courthouse as a tenent). Those in occupied status (annexed without a courthouse) is a major unhappiness penalty. But you can cash buy happiness buildings in annexed cities in which a puppet governor may be slow to do.

Unless you have an ideological tenet that gives a free courthouse always puppet initially (if you are planning on keeping the city at all.)

But without that tenet, wait until the city comes out of resistance before annexing, but unless its a capital, its generally not worth while to annex.

Mechanics are as above; a city with a court house is a normal city (unless Autocracy still has the old policy that reduced unhappiness in cities with a courthouse as a tenent). Those in occupied status (annexed without a courthouse) is a major unhappiness penalty.
Once under your control though you can cash buy happiness buildings which the puppet governor may be slow to do.
I'm pretty sure that only Venice can cash buy buildings and units in puppet cities.

Puppet it till it's out of resistance, ESPECIALLY if you're on a campaign. Even for a few turns, if the happiness dips (especially under 0) the effects can be a pain.
Oh, and you get.......6 unhappiness per annexed city, I believe? Extra population unhappiness as well.

What is your take on cities that are gifted for a Peace Treaty? You don't lose all the population/buildings so would there be any advantage to Annex those once they are out of resistance?

What is your take on cities that are gifted for a Peace Treaty? You don't lose all the population/buildings so would there be any advantage to Annex those once they are out of resistance?

The AI will seldom offer useful cities in a peace treaty. Getting them with full pop means you get their worst cities along with maximal unhappiness.

Better to sell them off or refuse them altogether in my experience.

I tend to agree with Josh; but if you are in tech lead you occasionally spot that one of their otherwise crappy low pop cities has a late game resource (oil, Alumium etc.) that you need and which the civ will not be developing, and you can get it easily as part of peace deal. A few turns later you can annex and pop a worker. Very situational though. I try and be disciplined when I'm at war and know which cities I want/may accept as part of a peace deal. I never accept cities bigger than about 5 pop because I'll be waiting ages for them to be contributing anything but unhappiness - better to capture them.

How much unhappines do I get from a puppet? Does it act like a normal city?
The unhappiness from population is lower in a puppet, but the unhappiness per city (3) is unchanged. Puppet cities will have forced gold focus and cannot produce units. They generally won't build buildings which require resources either. You cannot purchase anything in puppet cities unless you are playing as Venice. Otherwise, you can store air units/missiles in puppets and do anything else.

even when u built courthouse, you will find in the happiness statics "Happiness generated from occupied cities" so it's always a bad deal! raze em! let it burn! :D

I'm pretty sure that only Venice can cash buy buildings and units in puppet cities.
I meant by "under your control" having annexed it. But I see wording is unclear and so I have edited that post.

I use the same rules to determine if a city is worth keeping at all / annexing for peace treaty cities as I do those that I capture.

But quite frankly, AI cities granted via peace treaty are even more likely to be raze candidates than cities I captured because they tend to be worse.

How much unhappines do I get from a puppet? Does it act like a normal city?

A puppet has exactly the same unhappiness as a normal city would.

even when u built courthouse, you will find in the happiness statics "Happiness generated from occupied cities" so it's always a bad deal! raze em! let it burn! :D

Ever noticed you have 80 happiness and like 87 unhappiness, but still have 8 extra unhappiness or something? It's because of the courthouse.

Top Bottom