Anno Domini - brand new test version (fully functional) 19th August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
I've been working hard to improve and updated Anno Domini. I've decided to upload a version for anyone interested to try out. I have a week off in early September, which will give me time to work on the mod and upload it all properly. The download contains the Anno Domini base mod, plus all the civilization packs.

You will need to delete all current version of Anno Domini and Anno Domini civ packs from your folders.

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdmzbccuxu98glv/Anno Domini.7z?dl=0

So what's changed?

To begin with, there are no civilizations included in the main game; you need to add at least one of the civilization packs. To make use of the brilliant leaders/packs that JFD and Sukritact have produced, some of those have dependencies for JFD/Sukritact civ/leader mods - namely JFD's Greece, India, Japan, Macedon, Nubia and Rome; Sukritact's Ethiopia, Hadrian and Senusret III.

There is also now a requirement to have the Nubia DLC as well as the Macedon/Persia DLC (and Civilization VI of course!)

There have been a number of Great People removed - those whose effect was in connection to a deleted item and therefore caused a crash.

The civics and policies have been completely overhauled to match the Anno Domini timeframe. There are now no Great People policies - these have been shared between the other categories. The Diplomacy policies take the place of the Great People policies in the sense that there are no Diplomatic slots, but they can use the Wildcard slots. There are, however, Social policies, which do have slots (these have blue icons). Social policies cover anything in connection with culture, religion and amenities, with gold, science and production yields going to the Economic branch.

There has been an overhaul to the Governments, with modern-day governments disappearing and new governments - such as Tribal Council, Tyranny, Mahajanapada and Druidic Council.

Some of the items are being returned to civs - so all of the leaders/civs have a civilization trait, leader trait and leader agenda as before, but they're slowly being updated with unique units, improvements and buildings.

What's next?

I'm looking to clean up the Civilopedia. Whilst the name and description of everything should be correct, the historic text giving you background on the civic, policy or whatever, isn't always the right one.

The website will be updated - the start of it becoming a useful referral site.

There'll be more units added - in particular I need some naval ones!

A few new civilizations - probably Babylon, Phoenicia and the Vandals are at the head of the list.

The city-states have simply been renamed and use a generic icon, so I'd be looking to update the city-states so that the benefits given suit the city-state - and give them icons of their own.

I'm also looking to extend the Anno Domini tech area by about 3-4 techs.

Over to you

Please try out the latest version and leave your comments below!

Unfortunately I cannot get it working. I have enabled the mods, set up the game (picked leader etc), picked proper ruleset, and when I click 'Start Game' I see a black screen with 'Start Game' and then I am being thrown back to game's start screen (Single Game, Multiplayer etc)

I do have Macedon and Persia DLC, I do not have Nubia's though, but related AD components are not enabled.

Is there a way to get crash logs or something similar in Civ6?

You need to have Nubia, as per the description. The base mod relies on it for some elements, e.g. Jebel Barkal and the Pitati Archer (which forms part of the archer unit line for all civs in Anno Domini).Therefore, it's not just the "Battle for the Nile" pack that needs it. Personally, I'd say that outside of Anno Domini, the Nubia DLC is well worth the money, especially for anyone who likes the Ancient World.

Aaah... reading and understanding, always struggled with that :)

Ok, got Nubia DLC, game starts ok now, thanks!

Enjoying the new version so far.

Found 2 things that may be bugs

- Other civ's have a massive relationship penalty because I'm winning, right from the start of the game. Pretty much getting constantly denounced by absolutely everyone.

- The civ with pasture culture bombs, half builder cost and bonus food on grasslands (I can't remember the name). It looks like the food bonus is on all flat tiles, not just pastures. Not sure if its a bug or intended, but it makes for an absurd amount of food, especially early game.

Thanks for the comments Shinra! I don't know about the massive relationship penalty; it's not something I've knowingly programmed in, so whether or not that's something connected to the base game I don't know?

I created the Dobunni to have the food bonus, which is on all flatlands tiles as per the description; +2 food on grassland and plains flatlands and +1 on desert and tundra flatlands. Whilst they do get a lot of food, on the flipside, they soon hit a housing issue. They were created that way to see what a civ with that bonus would be like - it's always good to experiment with something different - though it's not set in stone, it can be tweaked.

Finally got round to giving this version a try - after spending ages finding the 'older' version to delete it. :)

Progress looks promising - I loved the CiV V version - but there's obviously a lot of work to do yet.

As noted above, one of the first things to stand out is the massive relationship malus that gets triggered early - as far as I can tell, it seems to apply between all civs and is triggered by any advantage, not necessarily a "winning" one. Typically, it seems to be between -20 and -40, which is overwhelming any other modifier. I haven't seen this in the vanilla game, or with any other mods, so given it's not deliberate I'd suspect that AD is removing something that otherwise balances this out.

There are obvious issues with Eureka triggers for technologies/civics that have been moved and/or renamed - e.g. Harvest (2nd level Civic) requires a Stock Exchange. The Wheel (2nd level Tech) needs a mine to be built on a resource, but Mining is now a level 3 Tech. Of course many techs transplanted from the Civ V version have no Eureka boosts at all.

The next one isn't a bug so much as a gripe (as it applies to the vanilla game too) - tech/civic advances are too cheap while production is too expensive. You never get the chance to use stuff because it's often outdated by the time it is built - this applies to any game speed. On Civ V it was possible to add other mods in conjuction with AD to slow down research and expand the eras (there were minor side effects, like the calendar no longer matching realistic dates, but these didn't really spoil the game) - however this isn't possible on the Civ VI version as the slowing down only affects unmodified techs and civics, which is a shame. One other wonder-related issue is that unlike Civ V, you are not warned when you are being beaten in a wonder race, so it's easy to lose a lot of ground early on trying to build wonders you have no chance of completing in time.

As far as I can tell, the wonders work as they did in Civ V, which is to say they are built in the city (not outside as in Civ VI) and therefore don't require any special location. I haven't had a chance to try and build Stonehenge yet, which is a Civ VI wonder, so may work on Civ VI rules.

Anyway, thumbs up and looking forward to the next release.

Thanks for the comments - useful feedback! The wonders that are pulled from Civ VI, like Stonehenge, work as they do in Civ 6.
One issue I've found (and addressed) is that the Dobunni have an extra Social policy, but there's only one available if they beeline to Tribal Council.

I'm currently looking at the eurekas and I'll also look to amend the pace if that's what's required.

The immediate dislike by other Civs has been mentioned, But for a Civ that gets faith for killing units, this can come in handy. I wait for the inevitable "Park the First warrior" on my border then I find their city, build up an army and declare war first. Follow the line back to the source killing along the way and get my second city, plus by then I have a pantheon. :D
Also are the barbarians supposed to spawn so much? Great if you play as the Sumerians though. With encampments=goodie huts ability.
AND yes the tech upgrading fast and wonky eurekas could use some love.

...BUT I do so like this mod a lot so far!

Thanks for the feedback! I've honestly done nothing re immediate dislikes by other civs and barbarian spawning; that's down to whatever is in the base game programming. I don't know if the fact that certain techs are discovered at a different part of the game has anything to do with it.

Hi Rob, I tried many times to play Anno Domini and with the different versions I have the same problem... around turn 178 it crashes.
Doesn't matter if I change things, declare wars, make peace.. it crashes. I'm attaching you the save game and the logs, maybe you can help me.. in other games it might be at turn 155 or 170.. but it's always around that, and it really s**ks as it's an a-m-a-z-i-n-g mode... :(

Attachments

• Logs.rar
    41.5 KB · Views: 260
  • BOUDICCA 178 1170 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
Thanks for the feedback and the logs/save, Kyklon - sorry it's crashing when it does, but I'll see what I can do. It sounds like it might be a Great Person who isn't compatible with the mod, e.g. someone who requires a particular tech that has been deleted in the mod.

Thanks for your reply.
There'sno great person close to be born, not sure it's that.. And it happened almost every time I played with AD; even before this last update... never if I played with out it.
Hope you solve it, thanks

I really do need to update the mod and will endeavour to do so....though right now I have RL issues (nothing negative, just time-consuming) that's taking up a lot of my time. I'll be back on it as soon as possible and sorry for any delay.

I'll look forwards to the mod whenever it's updated. I really enjoyed it in Civ V and I don't like anything past the industrial age in Civ VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom