1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno Domini civilizations - in packs or not?

Discussion in 'Anno Domini' started by Rob (R8XFT), Aug 21, 2017.

?

How should the civilizations and city-state be split?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2017.
  1. Everything should be in the core mod and have a single download

22.2%
  2. Civilizations and city-states should be in packs, but there should be one download of everything

11.1%
  3. The base game should contain no civilizations OR city states; there should be packs inc. city-states

11.1%
  4. There should be a base game containing the most popular civs with large expansion packs

55.6%
  1. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

As per the poll - how should the civilizations and city-states be split? Please also state your reasons below.

To clarify the options:

Option 1 - one big download - speaks for itself; everything is contained in one folder, one download, all civilizations are potentially available.

Option 2 - still one big download, but the user has the option to switch on and off civilizations and city-states from the selection pool. There'd be no civilizations or city-states in the base download (as with option 3) but, for example, the Roman Britain civilization pack would also contain Roman Britain city-states.

Option 3 - the same as option 2 but you'd download all the packs separately - great if you only want two or three packs.

Option 4 - there would be Rome, Egypt and other well known civilizations with the base game. Expansion packs would probably be around 15-20 extra civilizations or leaders, but they'd be mixed and not necessarily from the same geographical area.

2. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I voted Option 3. That way people can download the civs even if I don't want, or aren't sure if they want, the whole Anno Domini modspack. Also, changes to an individual civ would mean people only had to download the update to that civ rather than the entire mod.

Rob (R8XFT) likes this.
  3. Rob (R8XFT)

Thanks for the vote and opinion, shaglio! Any other voters?

4. reviest

reviest Chieftain

Option 1 - all your civilizations are great and i would like to play with all of them.

5. Rob (R8XFT)

Thanks reviest! The only issue I have for option one (and the original reason for the split in Civ 5) is upload size - it wouldn't fit on Steam and I had to pay dropbox to host it (until the volume of downloads forced that to be unavailable for a month).

6. Aurore

Aurore Chieftain

I don't think it is reasonable to have you pay for hosting, you already give more than enough in time and effort. I think divide it up into packs, and if this allows for easier use in Steam, then even better.

7. Celebaglar

Celebaglar Chieftain

I was undecided between 3 and 4 and eventually went with the latter on the basis that the mod will get better traction if the base mod is fully functional on its own. Personally, I'd be happy enough with either.

8. Rob (R8XFT)

Thanks for the comments and the votes. I've found out since I last posted in the thread that there's a much higher threshold on Steam for Civ VI than there was with Civ V, so I may well "get away" with posting the mod on there.

9. Celebaglar

Celebaglar Chieftain

One thing to bear in mind when making the choice is updates. The bigger the bundles, the more likely players will need to download big packs when you make a small bug fix in one of the civs etc. The extreme of this scenario is if you have everything in one big bundle.

10. Rob (R8XFT)

It's definitely a consideration; however, the method I used in Civ 5 was to upload a patch if it was a bug that needed squashing immediately or I'd add sufficient extra stuff to make it worth downloading again.