Anno Domini (gods and kings version) due Feb 2013 - includes previews and information

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
It's about time I update you on the forthcoming gods and kings version of Anno Domini. I was planning to have this ready last year, but some RL stuff got in the way of that...but I've been back to the mod throughout January and nearly have it finished. I have a five-day mini-break from work in a fortnight, during which time, I'll put in all the finishing touches and aim to have it ready by Weds Feb 20th. At this point, I plan to upload it externally to AtomicGamer - not the Steam mod database for the simple reason that it's a massive mod and if a couple of nitpicks are found by you guys and then ironed out - or maybe that "missing civ" is added - before I upload it to the Steam workshop, then so much the better.

So what's happened? There's more civs, more wonders and buildings than before. I've added Danrell and JTitan's unit graphics; the city-states have their own leaders (thanks Nutty - incidentally, I've also included Nutty's city name randomiser).

Here's a few screenshots to give you a flavour of what's to come.

We start by choosing which civ to play....here's some of the options...
Spoiler :

...we decide to choose the Iceni...
Spoiler :

...the tech tree looks interesting...
Spoiler :

...we meet a couple of other leaders...
Spoiler :

...and some city states...
Spoiler :

...it's time to take a look at the policies (thanks Putmalk for the images)...
Spoiler :

...and explore the civilopedia...
Spoiler :

...as the game progresses, there's a chance to see some units in-game...
Spoiler :

So there we have it, a few glimpses of what's to come. There's still a couple of civs to put in...we have 45 at the moment, so it may go up to 50. The expected civs to make it are the Norse, Belgae, Harappa and Kushan...so there'd be room for one more...;)

Any thoughts on who could be the 50th civ? Possibly the Hyksos? The Sea People - thought about them, having no ability to build new settlers, but having the ability (from one of the official scenarios) to never be defeated, receiving new units occasionally if they've no cities in existence. That could be interesting!!

Incidentally, I'm not putting a cap on the number of civs in Anno Domini, but we need to be realistic from a time-point of view ;).

This is one of the mods I'm really looking forward to - I like the kind of mods where you are in the ancient times for the entire game, instead of a mad rush through history :)

Any thoughts on who could be the 50th civ?

Where can we see a list of all civs that are already in?

This is one of the mods I'm really looking forward to - I like the kind of mods where you are in the ancient times for the entire game, instead of a mad rush through history :)

Where can we see a list of all civs that are already in?

There's a civs page screenshot under the "pages from the civilopedia" section ;). Akkad didn't quite fit into the screen list, hence, it's the civ "on view" in the civilopedia. The rest are in the list.

UPDATE: The Belgae are now in the mod, so there's 46 civs so far. As the screenshots were done earlier today, they're not on the list of civs there.

It is a great mod, defiantly worth trying :)

Thank-you!!

Btw may I use some of your LHs and Civs in my mod?

Of course! That's part of the reason I'm doing Anno Domini. Some people will download it to play it, others will download it to raid it ;). Let's hope that plenty of people will do both :D.

I would totally like to "borrow" your Settling technology icon for my personal modpack if I may. :goodjob: Looks like an epic work, I'll likely not be playing it because I have my own mod going which will be incompatible, but great work.

PS: Are all the female leaders so busty in their leaderscreens? :mischief:

I would totally like to "borrow" your Settling technology icon for my personal modpack if I may. :goodjob: Looks like an epic work, I'll likely not be playing it because I have my own mod going which will be incompatible, but great work.

PS: Are all the female leaders so busty in their leaderscreens? :mischief:

I like the comment on the female leaders! I guess the answer might just be yes :mischief:. The settling icon actually comes from the Polynesia DLC, as does the icon for ritual.

Great, does that mean I will be able to find it somewhere on my PC if I have the Polynesia DLC, or do I need some sort of special ripping to get these icons out?

Just use this code in your mod:

Spoiler :

<GameData>
<IconTextureAtlases>
<Row>
<Atlas>TECH_ATLAS_DLC_03</Atlas>
<IconSize>256</IconSize>
<Filename>TechnologyAtlas256_Polynesia.dds</Filename>
<IconsPerRow>3</IconsPerRow>
<IconsPerColumn>3</IconsPerColumn>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>214</IconSize>
<Filename>TechnologyAtlas214_Polynesia.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>128</IconSize>
<Filename>TechnologyAtlas128_Polynesia.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>80</IconSize>
<Filename>TechnologyAtlas80_Polynesia.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>64</IconSize>
<Filename>TechnologyAtlas64_Polynesia.dds</Filename>
</Row>
<Row>
<IconSize>45</IconSize>
<Filename>TechnologyAtlas45_Polynesia.dds</Filename>
</Row>
</IconTextureAtlases>
</GameData>

When you set up the tech, you need to have the lines:
<IconAtlas>TECH_ATLAS_DLC_03</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>3</PortraitIndex>

This gives the icon I used for settling. There's five techs altogether, listed as 0-4.

You should add Tomatekh's Garamantes civ. It fits with the time period of your mod and is really well done/unique game-play.

I agree and actually had been thinking about them. I've spent a couple of hours this morning adding them into the mod and testing it - like you said, it's a really well done civ with unique gameplay, so it's welcome in the mod :).

Awesome, thanx!

No problem!

Numidia/Maurentia or Syria?

Good suggestions, thanks!

This looks like an amazing mod and I look forward to playing it. You mentioned 46 civs...that's quite a few. Would you happen to be using the "ynaemp" 34 civ DLL, or something like it?

This looks like an amazing mod and I look forward to playing it. You mentioned 46 civs...that's quite a few. Would you happen to be using the "ynaemp" 34 civ DLL, or something like it?

I'm not actually; the civs are all available to play, but there's still the same limitations on how many can be in one game. I'll have a look at the 34 civ DLL though.

I took an impromptu day's holiday yesterday and put both the Norse and Saba into the mod, taking it to 49 civs in the mod - all with unique UAs.

I'm really excited by this mod, especially the tech tree.

However, I'm not certain how to use it... I don't know whether it will be better to alter my own mod to fit Anno Domoni or pull out parts of Anno Domoni for my mod.

I want to use the whole tech tree, but only a select few of the civs will work with my own mod, so I'm not certain of the pros and cons or each approach.

When it's out, I'll have to look closely at what I should do.

I'm really excited by this mod, especially the tech tree.

However, I'm not certain how to use it... I don't know whether it will be better to alter my own mod to fit Anno Domoni or pull out parts of Anno Domoni for my mod.

I want to use the whole tech tree, but only a select few of the civs will work with my own mod, so I'm not certain of the pros and cons or each approach.

When it's out, I'll have to look closely at what I should do.

Glad you're looking forward to the mod. Each civ has it's own XML file and so does each leader, so it would be a straight-forward deletion of XML files to take civs out of the mod.

The mod has ended up with 52 civilizations; will be ironing out the finishing touches over the next few days. There's been crashes when a resource appears on a previously farmed land and you try to mine it or whatever - but I assume it's the farm bug and I've unchecked "reload landmark system". Hopefully that should do it!

Oh, those last two civs? Harappa and Armenia.

I must add a HUGE thanks to Tomatekh who has helped me to get some unique UAs into the last few civs!

Top Bottom