Anno Domini Gods and Kings

:woohoo:

Well done Rob. I've grabbed me some G&K now, very much spurred on by the prospect of an Anno Domini experience in CiV. I'm on my second game getting to grips with religion, after one massive failure with the Celts. Once that's done I'll be taking your mod for a whirl. If there's anything in particular you want people to look out for and provide feedback on, just say and I'd be happy to provide.

:woohoo:

Well done Rob. I've grabbed me some G&K now, very much spurred on by the prospect of an Anno Domini experience in CiV. I'm on my second game getting to grips with religion, after one massive failure with the Celts. Once that's done I'll be taking your mod for a whirl. If there's anything in particular you want people to look out for and provide feedback on, just say and I'd be happy to provide.

Any feedback would be welcome. Glad you're aboard the G&K wagon ;)!

It plays like a dream. Thanks to your fine fine work, I pulled a late one last night and am all bleary eyed at work now. :lol:

The vast array of civs to choose from is just mind boggling and offers huge replay factor. It took me ages to finally lump on one. I went with Corinth as I was keen to get involved with the City States diplomacy features and, as you know, I have something of a classical Greek fetish too.

Corinth's UA works really well. I basically have all the city states on my continent in my palm without too much effort and, much to my surprise and delight, this also allowed me to found a religion, which I wasn't expecting to given Corinth's traits. But the UA is well balanced by their later game UU.

The rival civs I've met (Maurya & Celts) are playing well. Ashoka very rapidly settled his four cities, surprising given his tall empire favouring UA and the graduated appearance of luxuries. He's dominating our continent, as both Celts and myself had poor starting locations. Ashoka, fittingly in my opinion, followed my founding of Hellenism with a founding of his own religion - Buddhism. Have you included the preferred historical religions mods in this? Or is it just coincidence that Ashoka founded Buddhism?

Anyway the Celts are belligerent and punching above their weight and I am, well, human. So we'll soon put Ashoka in his place. Looking forward to doing that and then discovering the other civs on other continents.

One thing I was wondering about and didn't spot: Do you have something like the Silk Road / Space Race victory that you had in the Civ 3 version? I was looking down the tech tree and couldn't spot any "space ship parts".

I haven't come across any major bugs or weirdness. The only very minor thing I did spot was that the text describing Aksum's UA still mentions Ethiopia. A real game breaker that!!! :lol:

The things in this mod that really pump up the "just one more turn" factor are:

- The vast array of wonders. So many and so diverse and each can fit into a number of play styles and objectives.
- The incremental improvement in units. It's a good slow progression, rather than the unrealistic sudden advantage a tech can give. Good job on the unit lines design.
- That graduated appearance of luxuries as you progress through the tech tree. I've always been a fan of this, for both realism and gameplay reasons.
- Curiosity as to which of the manifold and fascinating civs might be inhabiting the world.
- The brilliant tech tree design. It's so rich and varied and seems to offer a good variety of approaches. Very well crafted indeed. I've always found it difficult to design good tech trees, so I must commend you on your, as ever, supreme design skills on this one.

Top work Rob. I've rated it on Steam and encourage others to do the same. Many many thanks for your fine and obviously considerable efforts. I think this is a great success :goodjob:

Finally got a chance to play two games and I must say the mod is really well done. Excellent work overall. I also didn't really encounter any major bugs or crashes.

Some thoughts:

- I'm not really a fan of workers needing a tech to unlock as it somewhat forces you to always research that tech first. Then again, that tech gives you farms so you'd probably always research it first anyway.

- The longboat obsoletes itself.

- I don't believe the Hyksos ability works. The <StaysAliveZeroCities> part works, but the periodically receiving free units doesn't (or at least I couldn't find any lua that would make it work, maybe I missed it). Looking over the lua in the Korea scenario, it's not really generalized and awards specific units after specific events so if you wanted to keep that part of the ability it might require some work.

- Both Sumer and the Hittites have official Firaxis maps made for, but never used in, the Wonders Scenario (strangely Manchuria also has one made, but not used, for the Korea scenario). Since you already have the Wonder DLC dependency, if you wanted to use those maps all you'd have to do is <MapImage>MapHittite360x410.dds</MapImage>; <MapImage>mapsumeria360x410.dds</MapImage>; (Manchu's file is mapmanchu360x410.dds).

But again, fantastic job overall. I will be playing the mod again :D

Hi Tomatekh - thanks for the comments - almost 1,000 people have already either downloaded the mod from atomicgamer or subscribed on Steam which is amazing to say it's only been "up" for just under 48 hours.

I spotted the longboat issue this morning myself (just before I left for work) - I'll be updating this at the weekend along with a couple of non-gameplay-changing issues such as the end-game screens (which still show the epic-game screens such as the United Nations). If anyone needs to correct the longboat issue before then, it's a case of just deleting the "obsolete tech" line of the longboat on units.xml.

Thanks for mentioning the maps - I hadn't noticed that and again will correct it at the weekend. It's interesting what you said about the workers as I tend to research woodworking first when I play the mod. Looks like I'll have to do some work around on the Hyksos UA; thanks again for mentioning it. If I need to have an alternative, any thoughts on what that might be?

I think something with this: "The Hyksos brought several technical improvements to Egypt, as well as cultural impulses such as new musical instruments and foreign loan words. The changes affected techniques from bronze working and pottery to weaving, and new breeds of animals and new crops were introduced. In warfare, they introduced the horse and chariot, the composite bow, improved battle axes, and advanced fortification techniques." - From Wikipedia

Do I only need this one download/subscription to play this Mod? Are there separate unit/CS/religon mods etc?
My Civ5 is uptodate and have all DLC. I C On old posts that was specified.

Also...any recommended map for use?

Do I only need this one download/subscription to play this Mod? Are there separate unit/CS/religon mods etc?
My Civ5 is uptodate and have all DLC. I C On old posts that was specified.

Also...any recommended map for use?

If you have an up-to-date version of Civ V with all the DLC, including gods and kings, then you're ready to roll. Just the one download/subscription will do it. I am looking to update the mod over the next few days, just so that you know, though it will be chiefly a cosmetic update. Personally, I like playing on a Pangea, I guess it depends on you as to which map type or specific map you might like to try out. I've not made any maps for the mod.

Thanks tsf4 for sharing your thoughts about the Hyksos.

Here are some other tiny little things I spotted, aside from what I mentioned earlier above:

- Both Cartography and Astronomy allow embarked units to cross oceans. One tech follows the other.
- The Chariot Archer has a swords. So, when you attack, they swipe their swords around for quite a while, together with the archer's sound. It looks weird and takes longer than normal.

Cosmetic, really.

More seriously, it's not entirely clear what victory conditions are available and how they function. There's still talk of Alpha Centauri and such in the Pedia. Some guidance on the victories would be appreciated/needed.

In my game, I discovered the other continent and the Sarmatians had mauled everyone and own nearly all of it. At the point of contact, they had racked up about 2300 points, versus my 750 odd and I was in second place. They are monsters! I'm thinking of stealing a diplomacy or maybe even science victory, but it's not apparent how one goes about those.

First of all, incredible mod! I normally don't play with mods but I am extremely glad I tried yours out - love it!

Unfortunately, I am having a pretty significant issue that no one else seems to have. The game keeps crashing for me just as things start to get good. It has happened two games in a row and reloading the game causes it to crash again on the same turn. No wonders were built that turn and I can't find anything consistent that causes it to crash.

Game 1: I can't access the save to see which civs I fought (I noticed in previous thread huns were causing issues?). It was large size Pangaea,standard speed, emperor difficulty and I played as Sargon. It crashed sometime around turn 125 iirc

Game 2: Same settings, played against Ramesses, Cadmus, Ongetheow, Gladys, Cartimandua, Theodora, Cyaxares, Priamos and Gilgamesh. Keeps crashing on turn 178. Again, no wonder or research finished this turn.

Im going to try one more time before I give up on this extremely beautiful and well done mod (Although sargon is way OP :p)

Edit: I do have G&K and all DLC's. I have no other mods running. I installed the mod through steam workshop.

Welcome to Civfanatics!

Sorry to hear about the crash and we certainly need to get to the bottom of it. To be honest, I had a crash playing the mod on Tuesday around turn 178, but I couldn't trace it. Again, to be honest, I thought it might be due to my pc (as I've had issues with the graphics card of late) and felt that with almost 2,000 people downloading it, someone would also mention a crash and we'd be able to find out why. However, until now, everyone else (including me) has been crash free.

I was playing with a slew of pre-selected Greek civs on a small, small continents map when it did crash. The only thing I did differently in this game was re-load it around turn 20.

Anyone else having any crashes?

Rob..I forgot exactly how much fun (and difficult) AD was. Truely a work of Mod-Art in my opinion! :worship: THANK YOU for bringing it up to date and back to life! LOVE the new civs, units, buildings and wonders....keep em coming :banana: ! I'll actually be playing Random civs (a rarity for me) quite often now.

My favorite map for AD was the old standby Standard sized Interior Sea...like a mini self contained Mediterrean sea where all units get to play!

...Got the Vikings....but on desert? :confused:

Hi there I'm new to using mods on civ 5 I was wondering on if there is a way to get the multiplayer to work because it says it has multiplayer available but it does not give me the option to do so.

Hi there I'm new to using mods on civ 5 I was wondering on if there is a way to get the multiplayer to work because it says it has multiplayer available but it does not give me the option to do so.

There are no MP mods; the game itself doesn't support. What you're seeing is just a flag the developers never removed.

If you haven't already, I would also suggest actually setting the DLC as dependencies in Modbuddy. That way people won't be able to even start the mod if they are missing the DLC's (and would stop people loading the mod and saying it's filled with bugs because the textures won't load).

As for the Hyksos ability. I believe Irkalla actually does something similar to the free unit thing with his Sparta mod. You can try asking him about his code. I always thought this RTK mod had some interesting parts to its ability, particularly the removing the city attack penalty from all mounted units (which is relatively easy lua to copy/implement). You can extend (or change) this to remove the Rough Terrain penalty that chariot units get (although, the chariot thing by itself is probably not enough for an ability by itself), or similarly remove any penalty promotion from a unit type.

There are no MP mods; the game itself doesn't support. What you're seeing is just a flag the developers never removed.

I am happy to tell you that you are wrong. There is, in fact, a mod that allow you to play ANY mods in multiplayer(hotseat at least)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=75500984

I currently play this awesome mod in a hotseat game with my friends and it seem to work perfectly!

(if you are looking for syncronous multiplayer then no, you cannot play this mod in this way)

I am happy to tell you that you are wrong. There is, in fact, a mod that allow you to play ANY mods in multiplayer(hotseat at least)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=75500984

I currently play this awesome mod in a hotseat game with my friends and it seem to work perfectly!

(if you are looking for syncronous multiplayer then no, you cannot play this mod in this way)

There are no MP mods, a fan-made workaround which allows a buggy implementation of this for hotseat (because hotseat was built from the SP engine) doesn't make this statement wrong.

Top Bottom