Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

There are a lot of buildings that limestone is a pre-requisite for. Academies, bathhouses, colosseums, frankincense merchants, hippodromes, jewellers, mastabas, guard towers, plazas, thermopoliums and triumphal arches all require a unit of limestone (and can be built in multiple cities; also there's a dozen wonders which all require two units. Many of the buildings come towards the end of the game; could it be that you're simply not using the limestone due to your strategy? Someone who is a builder might actually run out of the resource...I normally do.

How many cities do you have in your example and how much have you actually used the limestone?

Well, i settled 3 and captured.... about 11.
I've built about 66% of the wonders available.

Ok - but have you built all the dozen buildings that require the limestone in each of your 11 cities? That would require 132 limestone plus any expended on wonders.

No, as that would require finishing a full game.
(Did i mention that 6 civilizations won science victory at turn 6?)

Well, I am currently midgame and have more than 130 excess limestone with about 8-10 cities, none of which have maxed out on their potential limestone-using buildings. However, I only produce about 30 or so myself (if at all), all of which I'm constantly trading away. The rest comes from City State allies, who don't require resources for themselves.

My suggestion for this would be to make a calculation of all regular buildings that require limestone and all that produce it and balance it so that you can cover about 50% of the requirements with buildings alone. So for each city that needs up to 12 limestone (+Wonders), have it produce up to 6 limestone or so. The rest needs to be covered through trade or local sources from the map. Or from puppeted cities because they don't build anything that requires resources either, right? I believe it's pretty close to that already (4 from Docks and 3 from Stonemason, iirc), so maybe there is no need to change a lot after all and we'll all run out by late game. But I have yet to run out of buildings to construct for any of my cities (which is awesome!!), so I guess I'll see that later.

Either way, it is LOADS of fun playing this mod, so when I post my next batch of nitpicks and suggestions, take it more as "stuff that I would do differently if it were my own mod" rather than "fix it dude". ;) I think when I'm done with this playthrough I'll edit the XML files anyway with a few balance tweaks according to my own tastes. (For example, I like unique buildings and units to really make a difference, so I'd make them stronger in comparison than they are in Vanilla or Anno Domini.)

I'm currently well into the Anno Imperii era and have only recently met all the other civs, then researched Cartography to create the World Congress (which, by the way, could maybe be renamed into something more ancient-sounding, like Great Convent or the likes). So here you go, more stuff I encountered on the way:

Spoiler :
Bugs first ...

INTERFACE:
- Victory Progress window not working (nothing happens)

POLICIES:
- Ideology text not updated --> only happened to find the corresponding tech/building in the tech tree

UNITS:
- Curraghs that are upgraded to Galleys retain their -1 Sight penalty

STUFF I *REALLY* LIKE (because, you know, encouragement and such):
- Magistrate (Gold per citizen is an ingeniously simple way of including taxes in the game)
- Floating Gardens (improvements for useless Lake tiles, yay!)
- Lots of cheap, maintenance-free buildings with tiny improvements
- Resource management through buildings
- Health system *is* working properly now, building health is added (so disregard my previous report, no idea why it wasn't working or maybe I just didn't notice the -Health buildings in the city)
- You never run out of buildings to construct
- Goody Huts still give techs in later eras
- Random events!! I <3 random events! That's what I loved so much about the Unofficial Civ Patch plus related mod before they updated to BNW and, according to the comments on Steam, broke everything (and made me unable to play the mod because I didn't have BNW yet).
- Units usually keep their unique promotions when upgrading (didn't like how Vanilla lets some units forget their unique ability just because now they're fighting with a longsword instead of a sort sword or something - although for example in the case of the War Elephant's fear promotion, it makes sense)

SUGGESTIONS:
- Woodcutter dependent on Forest within city range an inside friendly territory
- Some early game buildings for Great Works of Art (nowhere to put them!)
- Copper Mine only for cities built on Hill tiles, costs 2 Maintenace and gives +2 Production in addition to +Copper
- New building: Jester (+1 Happiness, cost like Storyteller)
- Shouldn't the Slave Market produce gold, not the opposite? And why is it limited to 3 per civ if its benefits are marginal (+3 Prod, -2 Gold, +1 Engineer Point = +2 in total)? Seems a pretty weak building given the significance of slaves in the ancient world.
- Stonemason produces +2 Marble instead of Limestone (like you already considered), costs Maintenance
- Walls could require Limestone (same for that unique Palisade replacer that looks like it's made of stone, so that might require limestone instead of prime timber)
- Mastaba should have Maintenance cost (as strong as the Pagoda but no limitations)

Happy holidays!

I'm currently well into the Anno Imperii era and have only recently met all the other civs, then researched Cartography to create the World Congress (which, by the way, could maybe be renamed into something more ancient-sounding, like Great Convent or the likes). So here you go, more stuff I encountered on the way:

Spoiler :
Bugs first ...

INTERFACE:
- Victory Progress window not working (nothing happens)

POLICIES:
- Ideology text not updated --> only happened to find the corresponding tech/building in the tech tree

UNITS:
- Curraghs that are upgraded to Galleys retain their -1 Sight penalty

STUFF I *REALLY* LIKE (because, you know, encouragement and such):
- Magistrate (Gold per citizen is an ingeniously simple way of including taxes in the game)
- Floating Gardens (improvements for useless Lake tiles, yay!)
- Lots of cheap, maintenance-free buildings with tiny improvements
- Resource management through buildings
- Health system *is* working properly now, building health is added (so disregard my previous report, no idea why it wasn't working or maybe I just didn't notice the -Health buildings in the city)
- You never run out of buildings to construct
- Goody Huts still give techs in later eras
- Random events!! I <3 random events! That's what I loved so much about the Unofficial Civ Patch plus related mod before they updated to BNW and, according to the comments on Steam, broke everything (and made me unable to play the mod because I didn't have BNW yet).
- Units usually keep their unique promotions when upgrading (didn't like how Vanilla lets some units forget their unique ability just because now they're fighting with a longsword instead of a sort sword or something - although for example in the case of the War Elephant's fear promotion, it makes sense)

SUGGESTIONS:
- Woodcutter dependent on Forest within city range an inside friendly territory
- Some early game buildings for Great Works of Art (nowhere to put them!)
- Copper Mine only for cities built on Hill tiles, costs 2 Maintenace and gives +2 Production in addition to +Copper
- New building: Jester (+1 Happiness, cost like Storyteller)
- Shouldn't the Slave Market produce gold, not the opposite? And why is it limited to 3 per civ if its benefits are marginal (+3 Prod, -2 Gold, +1 Engineer Point = +2 in total)? Seems a pretty weak building given the significance of slaves in the ancient world.
- Stonemason produces +2 Marble instead of Limestone (like you already considered), costs Maintenance
- Walls could require Limestone (same for that unique Palisade replacer that looks like it's made of stone, so that might require limestone instead of prime timber)
- Mastaba should have Maintenance cost (as strong as the Pagoda but no limitations)

Happy holidays!

I agree with about 50% of your post...:p

Work has begun on version 9 of the mod, with the Germanic Tribes and Gauls having a facelift thanks to JFD and the MoreCivs team. Thrace are undergoing their changes as we speak. The Iberians have been changed slightly - to the Lusitani under Viriathus. TCM's Iberians have been used, in the main (with some adjustments) to bring in a new civilization to Anno Domini (well the Civ 5 version in any case!), the Celtiberians. Click here to find out more about them.

I shall be working through the feedback in this thread and making amendments based in that feedback through the week and hope to have a new version for you all to try out in about a week's time :).

Brilliant and thank-you!! I was planning a release of version 9 around Sunday/Monday, but can hold off until you've had chance to make those revisions :). H&P is fantastic to have in the mod - and I've now included your reforestation mod in it as well.

I have some question about the health mechanics: why if a plague starts in my capital, which has very low health, it spreads to cities which have high health?

Any chance youll implanet culdiv in Anno Domini? And maybe civ specific events?

Any chance youll implanet culdiv in Anno Domini? And maybe civ specific events?

I presume by "implanet" you mean "implement" - the answers therefore being no and no. I like it as it is without cultural diversity and I've said before that I won't put in civ specific events - with 86 civs to balance out, it's too much - and many of the civs would get something fairly generic and forced in any case. I have increased the number of generic events though and it's sufficient.

So... the only new civ s the Celtoiberians?
Sounds interesting...

No, the Alans are in there as well. I'm replacing good old Ramesses with Cleopatra and may use the Ramesses leaderhead for Khamudi of the Hyksos.

Spoiler :

I like the picture but wasn't Cleopatra Greek? I would think that she wouldn't be so dark if that is the case.

Top Bottom