1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Play the ancient world

1. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

That's absolutely right - I stole it from the Anishinaabe and they are meant to replace the inquisitor (when playing that civ, not in Anno Domini). Do you know if I can delete the "level of intolerance"?

2. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I think you can delete or comment out this line (it's near the end of the file):
    Code:
    GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(MidewIntoleranceEarn)

AFAIK it shouldn't have any negative side effects.

3. gilliebillie

gilliebillie Chieftain

when will the next update be?

4. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

Does the Victory Stele actually do anything aside from that +1 Culture? I never notice the XP boost or lowered cost for promotions.

5. Rob (R8XFT)

I'm not sure. Probably in about a week.

As per the civilopedia: "Units built in the city gain promotions 20% more quickly." This is an effect that's been tried and tested - and it works. The Victory Stele was originally Akkad's UB, but when it was unneeded, I thought it made for a nice generic building and an extra use for the stone resource for those who build everything but have to juggle resources in Anno Domini.

6. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Victory Stele should add a promotion to produced units that gives +20% XP from combat (btw, if no other bonuses are present, it would only add +1 XP when melee attacking, as other actions give less than 5 XP, so the bonus is rounded down to 0). I haven't checked if it works, but probably it doesn't, because PROMOTION_VICTORY_STELE is not present in the UnitPromotions_UnitCombats table, and IIRC it's required to be there to be applied to produced units.

7. Rob (R8XFT)

Oh. I thought it worked. I'll test it again over the weekend and if it needs to go into that table, in it will go.

8. DeepSoul

DeepSoul Warlord

Hi again. I asked what kind of maps this is compatible with(without a satisfactory reply) but I can confirm it only works with the AD maps that belongs to the mod(otherwise you don't get most of the resources). I didn't even know there were maps made especially for AD until I noticed them in the menu.

The Greek + Anatolia map is very beautiful and detailed but when I tried the Europe map I got spammed with texture errors until I lost patience and terminated the game. Does that map even work? I have v16 atm but will update today. Will you add more maps later, of for example The Middle-East or Asia? You have a lot of Civilizations that would fit in that world and if you play a scenario like you have to, you can't choose all the civs.

Edit: Installed v17 but now I can't choose any of the AD maps. Nothing happens when I click them on the main page and if I go to advanced I can choose them but the game gets stuck in an infintive load state. It's as if the maps aren't there anymore. I've made sure I've installed the mod like it says in the description so I have no idea what's going on.

9. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

... that is pretty much what I told you. :confused: Except for the AD-specific maps because they weren't supposed to be in v16 in the first place because Rob revamped the resource system for that version, so the maps don't really work anymore, unfortunately. (I'm surprised that one map did work for you.) Which is why he removed them for v17 (which I believe he said at some point but that might be buried somewhere in the thread). The problem is that the maps basically have to be created separately for each individual version as soon as any of the resources are changed or new ones added. Also, Rob (and others as well, like me for instance - I can't even launch it anymore, with or without mods) cannot even load the mod into World Builder, so any maps created for AD have been made by those lucky enough to be able to load it. :-/

10. DeepSoul

DeepSoul Warlord

I see. A shame about the maps because they looked really good. I wish I still had v16 now. :sad: What if Rob waits with the maps and makes them for the final version when that is released? Too much work?

Anyway, the mod isn't really playable for me on normal maps, because I tried both Terra and Continents with debug mode and did the ctrl+z command, which reveals everything, but I could only see some basic resources near cities, like wheat, fish, cattle and stone. I even added the first two eras of technology with an editor but no new resources were visible. I don't feel like playing and later discover that I lack most of the resources meant for the mod.

11. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

I posted a dropbox link to my own stable v15, which *should* include working maps, although I haven't tested them myself. You can try and see if that version works for you, although it does not include the revamped resource system. For more info, see around page 42 of this thread.

As for the final version, God knows when and if that is ever going to happen. ;) There's always something to tweak and fix and expand on. (Of course I can't really speak for Rob here but I highly suspect v18 isn't going to be the final release.)

If you use IGE along with it (works for me on v15 but has been reported to not work properly with v16/17 - haven't tested it myself), you can see all the resources that are on the map when you go into IGE mode, regardless of how far you've progressed in the tech tree. And if the resource distribution doesn't work with randomly generated standard maps, there's something wrong on your end because it's working for everybody else (or if not, these guys didn't say anything).

Meanwhile if you can't get v17 to run, check out the link above and get v15 to carry you over until the next release.

12. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Is there a hotfix for the civ icons? In my current game, after the World Congress has been founded, I'm getting error messages every turn.

13. Rob (R8XFT)

There is - if it's the same issue as the icons in the swapgreatworks issue (which I think it is). In various packs, in the iconatlas.xml, I had done the texture for the size 24 alpha atlas incorrectly. The filename had been input as, for example, "JustifiedAlphaAtlas.dds" instead of "JustifiedAlphaAtlas24.dds" This affected most of the packs where I had a set of icons for the entire pack, i.e. the Greeks and Roman Britain packs, IIRC the Justified pack and the African one.

14. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

That's really strange. The various resources are showing up as expected on random Fractal maps.

BTW, I figured out my "unable to go past X turn" problem. For reasons known only to the Gods, my most recent autosave is often corrupted, and manual saves are similarly often corrupted. So as long as I load an autosave that's not the most recent, it always works.

(I'm not sure how this is working, since autosaves aren't "re-saved" every turn; if my most recent autosave is corrupted is corrupted, it should still be corrupted when it becomes my penultimate recent save. Very strange.)

One other thing... the BNW version of this mod is rather involved. I'm really enjoying exploring it, though. I honestly can't say if I like the whole package yet.... there are still too many moving parts that I don't fully understand yet, and I'm afraid that the long list of modified and/or added systems might make the game unplayable for the AI. (The G&K version of this mod somehow avoided this problem.) Still, whether or not I end up liking the final product, thanks a ton for making it, Rob!

15. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I fixed that and now it works properly, thanks :)

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Version 18 is available - there's a link in the first post of the thread.

Version 18 changelog

New + returning civilizations
    • Egypt under Djsoer
    • Mitanni
    • Ptolemaic Kingdom
    • Sami
    • Song

Updates
    • Centralised the Egyptian city lists - i.e. the cities are still the same for each version of Egypt, but there can't be more than one city with the same name any more
    • Ceremony finisher yields a Great Adventurer instead of a Great Writer
    • Updated some icons

Corrections
    • Akkad postal service decision corrected
    • Bonus resources now not considered tradable by the AI
    • Code of laws decision now available with....Code of Laws!
    • Frankincense issue resolved
    • Magistrates can no longer be traded
    • Promotions corrected - placed in the right table if needed; Ambush doesn't show on the list
    • Swap great works and World congress pop-up screens' texture issues resolved
    • Zealots no longer make sudden ad-hoc appearances

17. DeepSoul

DeepSoul Warlord

This is getting annoying. In the old versions I can get resources with the AD maps but if I choose any random map I'm only getting basic resources(wheat, stone, cattle, fish). It doesn't matter which version I pick. I'm still not getting any AD resources and I have no idea why. You mention a DLC requirement. Do we need any other DLCs than BNW and what game version do we need? My version is 1.0.3.144.

18. Rob (R8XFT)

Deepsoul, not all resources are available straight away, in fact only a few are. If you look at the tech tree, you'll see when each of the resources are revealed. I know you personally don't like it, but it's the way I decided to design Anno Domini. If you would prefer the resources to be at least viewable on the map at the start of the game, you'd need to open up the resources.xml file (found in the XML/Gameplay folder) and delete all the lines that have "TechReveal" in them.

19. Skaz881

Skaz881 History Major

Where did all of the Indian Kingdoms go?

20. Rob (R8XFT)

They're not all gone forever, as previously explained, I've had to take all the civs out to change the format ready for an upload to Steam (one file for everything was too large). I'm in the process of putting them all back - and revamping them as I do, but haven't reached the Indian civs yet. Pouakai has said that he's looking to add events and decisions, hence I've held back in case he does before I do a "full release" of Anno Domini.