1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Play the ancient world

1. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I don't know. If you'd like to try it and report back, that would be great.

Why the rolling of eyes? It'll be soon, however RL keeps getting in the way.

2. Aurore

Aurore Chieftain

Bear in mind Rob isn't paid to do this and its Christmas! If his life is anything like as busy as mine right now I'm amazed he has any time to code at all!

3. EarlSalami

EarlSalami Chieftain

Dropbox worked for me today, maybe it's temporary, maybe it's permanent

4. Rob (R8XFT)

It allows 20GB worth of downloads each day before cancelling. Given the size of the mod, that's about 30 downloads per day.

5. EarlSalami

EarlSalami Chieftain

at least 30 people download the mod each day? :O
    This is great news for you man, I'm happy for it's success!

6. Eimi

Eimi Chieftain

Hello, I just downed this mod and I'm looking to try it out, but starting up I'm seeing fewer civs available than you list on your site. Is the site just tracking WIP civs? Or is there something else I need to dl? I downloaded v18 this morning.

For examples of the civs I am not seeing I am not seeing Ilyria, Vietnam or Han.

7. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

Yeah, most Civs are distributed in packs rather than alongside the base game, so you'll need to download them individually.

8. Rob (R8XFT)

Actually, all the civs that are currently available are in the download (albeit spread in different packs). You may not have read the pages above where I needed to reduce the size of the download due to constraints on Steam. This meant I took all the civs out of the game and started the process of re-adding them. I'm about sixty per cent of the way there, as each time I add a civ, I re-evaluate it, often going back to the UA/UU/UB etc that the original creator used rather than my version and in all cases ensuring the civ has a couple of unique decisions. There's a couple of other processes I'm doing as well to streamline the civs (e.g. centralising the city lists to avoid duplication of city names) and it all takes time.

I expect to have 100% of civs available at the end of my Christmas/New Year holiday and also am hoping to put up a release in the next few days, but this depends on my RL workload (I have to do a month's worth of some of the work in just two weeks to compensate for me being off for Christmas).

9. Eimi

Eimi Chieftain

Ah cool! Thank you for clearing that up and for your hard work on the mod. Hope your work doesn't kill you and you can enjoy your holidays.

10. Andy0132

Andy0132 Warlord

11. Rob (R8XFT)

Yes, I've seen those! I don't need any help with anything - other than comments from gameplay of course!

12. Eimi

Eimi Chieftain

Well having done a test game as Song, on very easy/standard, a few things. Stone seems impossible to ever have enough of, as stone on the map only gives you 1. The other alternative resources have a few other ways to get them, so they don't feel that bad (and I had a bad habit of just spamming wonders which eat them up) but stone seems impossible to get. A bigger problem is that once I unlocked the ability to make galleys...I couldn't build them in any of my cities. I had two ships already but that was it. And I just crashed after upgrading my ancient infantry to an axe man, but that might've been a memory leak on my end, so I can't say for sure what the cause of that was.

13. Rob (R8XFT)

Stone can also be gained by building stoneworks in cities with hills and stone masons in cities with access to stone. The galley situation has been sorted out for the next version based on previous feedback.

14. Aurore

Aurore Chieftain

I actually like how stone works. It makes me have to choose whether to place cities on hills to get stone or rivers to get clay! Also means that its used with more care. Like only building walls on cities that need them.

15. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

Yup, I agree. Stone is a scarce resource because many buildings require them, so I don't gun for the weaker early wonders anymore. Those +2 Happiness or +3 Faith don't really make that much of a difference in the long run; better save that Stone to get the Temple of Artemis. I really like how you now have to THINK and plan in which cities you want resource-dependent buildings. In the unmodded game (and previous versions of AD), resource requirements were pretty pointless because everything was so abundant that you'd never run out anyway.

The only downside (in my opinion) is that city states and puppeted cities don't have as many buildings available, so puppeted cities often don't build anything (until you get access to Wealth - maybe make that available from the start or an era or two earlier), and city states have huge happiness problems now that they can have 2 or even 3 cities. In my current game, there are at least two city state allies of mine (those with 3 cities) where rebels spawn every 4-5 turns in their territory. The unhappiness combat penalty, together with the fact that city states cannot build any defensive buildings (because they all require resources, which is a good thing), makes conquering city states relatively easy. Suits my playstyle though because I won't conquer them and the way it is, the AI has less difficulty doing that if they choose to.

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Interesting to read the feedback on the city states. I've an idea that I'll work on next week which might make city states more formidable (if the idea works).

Sadly, work really has taken over my life, but I have a couple of days to spare leading up to Christmas, so I will do my utmost to get a Christmas Eve release of the next version, hope that sounds okay with everyone. There are a couple of nice tweaks; there are no civilizations in the base game now, so it's down to the user as to who exactly is in the mix. I've used JFD's nile graphics for the curragh and it looks really good in-game (I'll give you a sneak preview ;)) and there's new era splashes. Oh, and the adventurer/writer/philosopher look more suitable. I won't spoil the rest.

Attached Files:

17. Carinyc

Carinyc Chieftain

Dropbox link is down

18. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

If you want formidible city states... in my mod, I have modified Gedemon's city state units such that they have their own unique units... for example, when a swordsman is produced by a city state, I often have it replaced by a culturally themed unit with similar stats but no iron restricton. I find that the city state will produce many more units. Cultural units can also be made much stronger than vanilla equivalents should one wish.

19. Eimi

Eimi Chieftain

In terms of other mods, is this mod compatible with the Enhanced UI Mod or Barbarians Enhanced? Particularly Barbarians Enhanced, or I guess anything that makes the other AI's more bloodthirsty.

20. Rob (R8XFT)

It's not; Anno Domini is a full conversion mod which changes a lot of the gameplay rules and this can make it incompatible with most mods.