1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Play the ancient world

1. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

Speaking of Dido's (v18) Carthage, is it intentional that each time a Carthaginian city is founded, a new source of Shellfish pops up? And that if you conquer a city with an improved source of Shellfish, that you GET that Shellfish even though you can't see it on the map? (It does appear in IGE, and if they're improved with Fishing Boats and in your territory, you get the resource. So now that Carthage is no more, I am the only civ that exports Shellfish, but as a player I can't see it.)

2. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Possibly!! Sorry, but I didn't create the civ; I merely "lifted" it from JFD's collection, leaving it as he'd designed it. For the record, the same goes for a number of civilizations and some modcomps; I don't know the ins-and-outs, merely put them in Anno Domini and made them compatible with it.

3. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

It does kinda make sense that you'd keep the resources. Because the people of the conquered cities won't suddenly forget how to get Shellfish. Also, it's rather convenient for the conqueror to get an additional source of happiness/income; I wouldn't want Shellfish to disappear entirely from the game once you've conquered Carthage.

4. Eimi

Eimi Chieftain

Hey, just wanting to let you know that Galleys are still not available to be built after researching them, but I've also found that Explorer's are unable to be built as well.

And I mentioned it before, but I'm not sure if giving the Amazon's Barrage 2 on all ranged units is balanced, it's ridiculously easy to get to Logistics, and from there nothing can stop you. It might be better to create a new promotion for balance purposes.

5. Leandro92

Leandro92 Chieftain

Hi there,
    I just want to ask if anyone can upload a new download link for AD v20 because I cannot download it from the Dropbox link posted in the first thread..
    I hope someone can help.... and Merry Christmas to you all! :D

6. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Warlord

Wow, I haven't played Civ in a few years, but my kids are getting me back into it. I was hoping this mod was still around--I never dreamed it would still be under active development with posts from the same day.

(1) Rob, thanks for all your work--this mod was the most fun I had with Civ, and I look forward to getting back into it;

(2) I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I tried a search but the answer didn't come up with any key words I could think of. With v20 installed and civs packs selected (tried both just Greek and all of them), and selecting one of the Greek maps, I get a "You have been defeated." message before the game even starts. I've triple checked that I don't have any other mods enabled, and I also tried a couple of other maps with the same result.

However, if I also enable the "Brunksky Anno Domini Map Pack" mod and pick one of his maps, everything works fine. The tech trees, etc., show your mod is working for me with his maps.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and you've already told people how to fix it 5 billion times, but could you make it 5 billion and 1?

(3) I've got a website, http://qskoz.com, that exists solely so I can easily transfer files to friends and family. Why "qskoz"? Because it was a 5 letter combination not taken. It's hosted by ipage.com and has good bandwidth and no download limit. I'd be happy to mirror your mod there if you want to be able to provide an alternate link if your primary doesn't work (it did for me tonight)--or for that matter, I wouldn't mind giving you FTP access to upload your mod yourself as you change it. I don't keep my CC# or any personal information there I'd be worried about you seeing.

I won't even mirror your current version without your approval, though.

(4) Out of curiosity, why did you abandon the Steam Workshop mod delivery? My kids are installing mods from there, and I can download a .rar and unzip it for them to the proper folder, but without me they (and I'm sure many others) wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I know, if you can't download a file and unzip it and copy the correct folders to the correct place, you probably shouldn't be using a computer--but the sad reality is probably half of computer users today don't even know what a folder is.

PlotinusRedux

7. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Working fine for me. What's the exact issue? Do you have an error page?

Rob : are CS supposed to build settlers? Some of them have a bunch waiting and i think one even settled a second city on some crappy island.

8. Rob (R8XFT)

Thanks for the responses! The Anno Domini maps don't work with the mod for some reason; I think it's due to some changes I made, but I am surprised that (given that's the case) the Brunsky maps still do. Be careful though, as the resources might not work as planned.

Thanks for the offer to mirror the mod, but I think that now I've increased the bandwidth here, there shouldn't be any issues. It allows for 300 downloads a day.

The reason I've not yet uploaded this to Steam is due to it being a work-in-progress and the amount of abuse I've had in the past there; also the number of claims that the mod is bugged when it isn't - they've simply not read the instructions.
    Having said that, I was hoping to upload to Steam in the next couple of weeks, if it's finished.

In terms of city-states, one recent development I added was the facility for city-states to have up to two additional cities in certain circumstances. They always seem to take that plot of land you thought no-one else could get at!

I am currently tearing my hair out over the galley in Anno Domini (and I'm informed that the explorer is the same). I literally cannot understand why it doesn't appear in the game as a unit one can build. It's in the civilopedia. I've tried creating it as a brand new unit, I've just removed the prime timber requirement from all ships in case that had something to do with it - I'm just stumped. I'm going to open a thread (to attract a wider audience) to see if someone can help me get to the bottom of it.

9. Leandro92

Leandro92 Chieftain

10. Aurore

Aurore Chieftain

11. Leandro92

Leandro92 Chieftain

12. Rob (R8XFT)

I've done some playtesting and found that I had no problems starting a religion as Akehetan, so I'm not sure why Bob Morane had issues with this. Also, I can build the explorer without any problems, so why Eimi had a problem here, I don't know.

However, the problem with the galley not appearing has been fixed (and tested). I don't know why this worked when the other solution didn't - a complete mystery - but I simply brought the unused caravel back into Anno Domini and amended its stats so that it in effect became the galley. At least it works even if I can't understand what went wrong previously!

I have a question for you all. As part of the tests to see how I could get the galley back in the game, I took the prime timber requirement for all ships out of the game. The question is - should I keep it this way?

13. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

As the one who previously kinda pushed you toward making it a requirement, I should probably advocate in favor of the resource requirement. However, there are two major points to consider with that requirement:
    - City States weren't able to build any ships beyond Curraghs until you made PT non-tradeable. (Did that work, btw? Haven't played the new version yet.) I see this as a negative.
    - The AI are permanently out of PT because they just spam ships like crazy until they can't anymore. This is positive because now, as a human player, you have an additional guaranteed source of income. However, it's also a negative because the AI can't build as many ships as they'd like to, and paired with the Galley bug (in v18) it was really easy to mop up the 20-something Curraghs and upgraded Galleys of each civ with my 6 Galleys (upgraded from Curraghs). So if you're playing as a warmonger and want the AI to be better at war (... which they won't ever be ...), the PT requirement for ships is probably a bad thing.

Soooo basically I'm undecided on this. If you decide to leave it out, there'd have to be a cutback on PT production, however, because if there isn't it's as if there were no resource requirement at all. Every city can and will have a Woodcutter as one of its first buildings (due to its +1 Production at no cost) and then later a Sawmill, even if it's in the middle of the desert with no water or plants anywhere around. So you'd have to balance PT production keeping that in mind.

14. TheYorkshireman

TheYorkshireman Chieftain

Just a quick minor bug spotted yesterbobs, mountain on a plains hex just appeared as plains. Not found any more yet to check if it's an odd one off, but sounds more likely to be a simple script fix (i don't know the tables for maps though so i'm just guessing lols).

On the PT subject...it's nice to have something like that to restrict the tuse of timber-based builds a little, but it does properly confuse the AI, and quite frankly that's confused enough. Anything that would make them fight a more efficient fight would be beneficial. So if there's any way to keep it whilst taking out the City State and AI need for it, that would be good in my opinion...although probably a very difficult (if possible) task.

15. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Skirmishers have access to the melee promotions rather than the ranged promotions. Probably because they are CombatClass mounted rather than CombatClass Archer like the Horse Archer. Heavy Horse Archer is also CombatClass mounted btw.

Also i can't build Floating Gardens. I can build or buy them but they immediately disappear and are available to be built again. Not sure why but it might hurt the AI if they try to build and rebuild them. Governor seem to have a high priority for those even when there is no lake and they will be basically useless. They are very situational so maybe it's better to simply remove them than try to debug them.

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Bob Morane, I can build floating gardens, so I don't know why you can't. I've just playtested it to make sure; they can only be built in cities adjacent to lakes. I have to ask - given the issues you had with religion and now this, do you have any other mods switched on, as Anno Domini is designed to be played without other mods?

17. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

No other mods. I had EUI but removed it prior to testing Anno Domini and cleared the cache to be on the safe side (this also makes CiV forget other acitve mods - the only one i used recently being Acken's mod - so it should be clean).

Not sure what's happening. I could build Floating gardens in any city with fresh water (lake or river), but they would disappear.

Just noticed you released v19 and v20 real close and i was using v19 in case you changed some relevant files between both version, that might explain some issues. Other than that i can only think of some corrupted files so i will try to put steam into online mode and verify my game files.

18. Rob (R8XFT)

Prime timber - here's the plan.
    • Prime timber once again becomes a required resouce for ships from the galley onwards
    • City-states have unique units for all ships from the galley onwards, which will simply be "City-state galley" et al, which won't require timber and won't show in the pedia
    • I'm presuming as barbarians seem to mimic what the player has, they'll be okay...I'm sure they still build them if they require resources

Does this sound okay? Should be straightforward for me to implement.

Additionally, would you like me to upload v21 tomorrow evening (around midday in the US) as I should have this implemented by then. There's also another six civilizations in the mod and corrections to issues - including the fact that galleys at last can be built!!

19. Lord Smiley

Lord Smiley Chieftain

Hi Rob,

I've been playing v20 and I have noticed that Cleopatra's flag is blacked out. It was fine on v18 perhaps something happened when you changed the leader artwork. Also an issue in v18, which I am not sure if it is still there in v20, but I have never seen the AI improve barley. In the late game the AI has some really bad happiness issues which would be helped by having barrels of ale to get the taverns etc. Apologises if this has been flagged up and dealt with in the past.

Glad you've solved the galley issue. I for one would be interested in a v21 upload today if you manage it.

Cheers.

20. Lord Smiley

Lord Smiley Chieftain

I'm still playing v20 today and in the game I declared my first war as Rome. A Great General did not appear when I declared the war and I was unable to 'spend' a Great General (I already had) in a city once I annexed it.

This feature did work in v18.