Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Wonder why i'm struggling to build wonders on my current game then. Have some of the wonders changed required resources to stone? There's about 4 or 5 wonders that i'd normally have built already and i can't yet for some reason, there just seems to be a massive shortage of stone. I must be missing something (apart from a boat load of stone :lol: ). Oh well, guess i'm off to invade the remaining desert lands and plunder the local oiks.

Just found your cities on hills (something you should be doing anyways for the inherent +1 hammer), build a Stoneworks, and bob's your uncle. Hell, even if you *don't* need the stone, the Stoneworks is a relatively cheap +1 hammer for the city; I often build them just for that. (The -1 health usually isn't a factor for me in the early game, since most of my cities stagnate at 3-5 population anyways until I get a bunch more tech (and health resources) under my belt.

BTW... I'm *really* digging the new Rome civ. However, it looks like they might be kinda overpowered. As in, Babylon-in-the-normal-game overpowered.
Well. I have to say that Scipio gives an entirely new meaning to "Overpowered". Comparing him with Nebby's Babylon is like comparing Shaka with Pacal for overpowered war machine (hey, Pacal can get a free great general right so he's kind of a warmonger :p)

Scipio is fun, but he's at least 10 orders of magnitude above Babylon for "overpoweredness"

Also something i noticed. The slaves generated by the slave prison add to your great people's cost (i guess it's because you used the common great person mechanism) and with the amount of points a slave citizen adds, there's no way you'll get any great scientist, engineer or merchant once you have even a single puppet city as the slave prison is high priority for the governor. I think this makes it rather bad (slaves are useful but not useful enough to compensate loss of great people and there are other ways to get slaves) and there is no historical justification for that (Greece and Rome are known for their use of slaves and that didn't prevent them from "generating" a large amount of "great people")

I have a problem when I load this mod i can't choose any of this mods maps it doesn't even show any map chosen or any size chosen its just blank unless i go to advanced setup, but even then it shows the map but i can't change it to this mods maps ,but i can start the game and when i do theres just one line of tiles going from top to bottom and they are gray.I don't have any other mods installed please help :confused: .

Hi Xerek and welcome to Civfanatics. The maps have not been usable since early on in the project; it's been mentioned here a few times. You simply need to select a random map option and it'll work just fine.

@Bob Morane: it wasn't actually a decision of mine to do this; I simply copied Leugi's slave mod into the mod itself and made it compatible with Anno Domini. I'll take a look at the Great People generation. In terms of Scipio, it does seem OP, though you can get some bad governors too. It's one of the reasons it's a human player only civ.

Well. I have to say that Scipio gives an entirely new meaning to "Overpowered". Comparing him with Nebby's Babylon is like comparing Shaka with Pacal for overpowered war machine (hey, Pacal can get a free great general right so he's kind of a warmonger :p)
Yeah, I tried playing a normal game with Scipio, and ho-lee crap you're right. I was trouncing the AI before we'd even reached the Renaissance on Deity. And I don't mean "winning a quick Domination victory" kind of trouncing. No, I wasn't even particularly warlike and I was miles ahead of everybody else in everything.

When playing Scipio in the normal game, the mod makes him even more OP by giving you a proconsul when you found your first city, which of course lets you *immediately* found a second city using your initial warrior. It's.... silly.

I'm going to try playing Scipio in the normal game one more time & see if maybe he's more normal-powered if I make the following changes:

1.) Simply delete the initial proconsul.
2.) Never use the proconsul's ability for found a new city.

Hey, I've been playing this module for the past year or so. Perhaps it's not the best place to post or search, but I've looked elsewhere without success. At times I've truly enjoyed it with so many unique and befitting changes for this mod that really tells the story of the age. Many props to Rob and his supporters who've made this gem over the past years. However, I'm only able to enjoy those moments for certain patches. Occasionally (As of now actually, latest patch) I run into periods in which I update and this major game-breaking bug occurs (and only for this module). The said bug pertains to when my cities do not grow. No matter how much food is present or locked the said city or cities in my civ do not grow whatsoever. At the start of every turn they jump up to the next tick in the meter then reset to the previous number. (Ex- Turn 1- 8 turns till pop growth, turn 2 flips to 7 then automatically reverts to 8...) Perhaps, it's WAD but I've waited a period of 20+ turns and the city growth remains stagnant. Again, it's happened ever since I started playing this module. No other modules besides Anno Domini and Civ packs are present or being run. I intsalled it manually with the said instructions on the official Anno Domini website. I've looked and searched on this and other boards without help. I'd rather not sit out on another patch, so I ask now for any assistance. Thanks.

@ Shazer : this sounds like a health problem. Check the health status of your cities. If it's negative, it will reduce the amount of food stored at the start of your turn. Better to work a hill then and build some health buildings until you are at 0 or positive.

I simply copied Leugi's slave mod into the mod itself and made it compatible with Anno Domini. I'll take a look at the Great People generation.
Ah. OK, i never noticed this mod by Leugi before.
unfortunately i don't think it's possible to separate great people without a modded dll (whoward's dll or any fork such as CP allows it). Using a modifies dll would give you much more options but would make your mod non mac/linux compatible.
Another option would be to build a counter using Lua but that would require some Lua saving tool. You already have some included with some of your civs, but i've never used them.
A simpler approach would be to simply check for cities with a slave prison at the start of a player's turn and roll some rng to check whether a slave is born. I would put a limit to the number of slaves allowed at any given time so the check would only occur if the player has less than x slaves already.

Using a modifies dll would give you much more options but would make your mod non mac/linux compatible.

Oh no!! I honestly did not realise this!

The thing is (and I wasn't going to announce this yet) but I've actually changed the Anno Domini set-up with the art files separate to the base files. I've then added the Community Patch and am currently sorting out issues from that (it won't load saved games - but the database log is massive). I was planning to then add something else due to having the patch...and am now quite committed to this direction.

I'm really sorry to those people playing on Macs and Linux. I genuinely did not know.

Well, blame Firaxis for "the best moding support ever seen in a Civilization game". dll are a Windows only thing and while unix-based systems (MacOS and Linux) have similar files, they are not interchangeable. Firaxis could probably have released a Mac/Linux version of their source code, there would have been people able to port the dll mods to those systems, but i guess the customer base wasn't big enough.
What you could do (and some moders already did) is keep a separate Mac/Linux edition. It wouldn't have all the features of the full version but at least would allow them to play the mod. You already have a lot of features in your mod now, but if you want to go that route you probably want to start this "branch" now as the most dll features you add, the harder it will become. Maybe freeze the features for the current (it's v22 right?) and make it the core of the Max/Linux version (so you "just" have to take care of known and not yet known bugs). Of course it's a lot more work if you want to keep adding new civilizations. What i suggest is at least keep v22 available somewhere (provided you have enough online storage)

On the bright side, with the CP dll it should be an easy task to make slaves use a separate counter thought and you can use plenty of new features.

The thing is, I've not really the time for separate versions; again I'm sorry if this disappoints anyone. This version 22 is about as up there as the non-PC version of the mod is concerned. What I will endeavour to do is to keep the civ packs and of course the art folder not reliant on whether it's a patched game or not and then keep the new features modular (as I have done with E&D, health and plague etc). Perhaps then once I've completed Anno Domini (which I hope will be soon) I can go back and do a non-patch version.

@ Bob Morane : Thanks, that was the problem. I looked over the health & plague system several times on the official Anno Domini website. As well as Framed Architect's link without mention of it affecting pop growth directly. It only specified what happened during a plague, and not whether it actually caused cities to stagnant in growth. (Perhaps Bob's quote could be mentioned on the websites Health & plague page to solve further confusion) I just assumed it was a problem on my end. Thanks. Again, great work you do everyday Rob. Really should be applauded.

Also. @ Rob : I'm currently playing a game as the "Çatalhöyük Civ". There is an issue with their unique unit I'm having. The "Hunter-Gatherer Scout" as it's stated in the in-game wiki they have the ability to scavenge one resource of plants and meat (Wheat, cows, sheep, etc.) and then bring it back to the city for a set instant food gain. The in-game wiki says that you can reuse this ability mutliple times as long as the unit remains a "hunter-gatherer scout". Just that the same resource can't be reharvested till another 10 turns have passed. However, in my situation they can only deposit the said meat/plant resource once to a city... Am I incorrect in that the hunter-gatherer can be reused mutiple times? Perhaps a bug on my end. Thanks.

Moderator Action: Two posts merged that were posted within minutes of each other with no other comments between.

Thanks for the feedback, Shazer. I'm not sure about the hunter-gatherer as I've imported the civ directly from the download from the creator. I am looking to potentially change some properties of the civ though as I was unsure about this as well - also I've had to make it human player only due to a pop-up that occurs.

Hi there! I was wondering if there are some playable scenarios for AD last version. I saw a couple of them but they are out-of-date now. So, some scenarios covering the Mediterranean basin or the lands of North Europe with TSL for civilizations would be really nice.

@ Rob : Hey, found another bug. Couldn't find the mod creator for the "Çatalhöyük Civ". Anyway, the UB (Koy) for the civ (The granary replacer) doesn't count as a granary for the "Great Granary Wonder". I have all the other requirements (2 units of clay & a the UB granary). Perhaps the UB isn't properly coded as a granary? Thanks.

@ Rob : Hey, found another bug. Couldn't find the mod creator for the "Çatalhöyük Civ". Anyway, the UB (Koy) for the civ (The granary replacer) doesn't count as a granary for the "Great Granary Wonder". I have all the other requirements (2 units of clay & a the UB granary). Perhaps the UB isn't properly coded as a granary? Thanks.

I believe there's an unmentioned policy tree requirement to build that. Health or Liberty or Tradition, but not sure which.

I believe there's an unmentioned policy tree requirement to build that. Health or Liberty or Tradition, but not sure which.

Yeah. The Great Granary requires that you've opened the Health policy tree.

If I remember correctly, Rob fixed the texts of the policy trees so they all now mention which wonder they unlock. Unfortunately, the Wonders' texts usually *don't* mention if a policy tree is required to unlock them.

Also, bug report:
The pantheon that gives +1 faith/water tile, +1 production/water resource isn't working correctly. Although the water resources are receiving the expected bonus, regular water tiles aren't getting any bonus. (BTW... are the water resource tiles supposed to get both +1 production and +1 faith, or do they just get the +1 production?)

Found an easy fix bug last night. You can buy one of the Drama wonders suprisingly cheap (just over 2k gold). Think it was Theatre Of Dionysus, and i think it's this line (slap me if i'm being daft!).

Spoiler :
<Type>BUILDING_THEATRE_DIONYSUS</Type>
<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_THEATRE_DIONYSUS</BuildingClass>
<Cost>450</Cost>
<PrereqTech>TECH_DRAMA</PrereqTech>
<Help>TXT_KEY_WONDER_THEATRE_DIONYSUS</Help>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_THEATRE_DIONYSUS</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_WONDER_THEATRE_DIONYSUS_DESC</Civilopedia>
<Quote>TXT_KEY_WONDER_THEATRE_DIONYSUS_QUOTE</Quote>
<ThemingBonusHelp>TXT_KEY_THEATRE_DIONYSUS_THEMING_BONUS_HELP</ThemingBonusHelp>
<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_GLOBE_THEATER</ArtDefineTag>
<GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_LITERATURE</GreatWorkSlotType>
<GreatWorkCount>2</GreatWorkCount>
<MinAreaSize>-1</MinAreaSize>
<ConquestProb>100</ConquestProb>
<HurryCostModifier>10</HurryCostModifier>
<IconAtlas>ANNO_BUILDINGS03_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>40</PortraitIndex>
<WonderSplashImage>Dionysus.dds</WonderSplashImage>
<WonderSplashAudio/>
</Row>

That's line 3770 in the file.

I'm really enjoying this mod, thank you for all the hard work!
Here are some issues I encountered during my latest playthrough (an Amazonian cultural victory) and current game:
  • When the "Pigs" resource appeared, the GUI indicated my workers could connect the resource to my trade network by constructing either a Camp or a Mine. I presume this should just be a Camp?
  • After constructing the Hagia Sophia in my capital, when I opened the city screen, a circular icon for the Basilica of San Marco appeared in the upper left (just below my civilization icon). It eventually stopped appearing.
  • Axemen (and later, Battleaxe units) didn't acquire the "Embarkation" promotion. Is this intentional?
  • The Floating Gardens wouldn't stay finished except in my capital (a river city). In two other cities (one on a river, the other on a river and with a lake in its city radius), I would set the city to build them, and after the expected number of turns I would get the message that they were finished, but it was as if nothing had happened--the Floating Gardens were still available to be selected in the city's build menu, and didn't show up in the list of constructed city buildings.
  • I couldn't sell some buildings, like the Villa. Is this intentional? (I was running low on limestone and wanted to free some up by selling Villas in order to construct some late wonders and buildings.)
  • Could the Plaza mouseover text in a city construction list be changed to include the one Limestone cost?
  • After other civilizations (Argos, Thebes, the Nuraghians) adopted Monarchy, their leaders' names in the leader screens also changed to "Monarchy".
  • An adventurer I bought with faith in the Anno Obscuri era couldn't create a quest, even though I had numerous slots available in Treasure Troves.
  • Starting a new game, the Moors didn't show up when I selected the Dark Ages civilizations pack (although Denmark, Mercia, and Venice all did).

Top Bottom