1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Play the ancient world

1. edboltz

edboltz Chieftain

I'm sure this is a problem addressed earlier and for which I'm the cause, but when I try to start a game using one of the maps, for example Anno Domini England, it immediately shows the "You have been defeated." splash screen.

2. Oragepoilu

Oragepoilu Chieftain

Hello,
    I tested today the v23 of the mod (fresh install of the game ...)

However, after a look with IGE I can't find any luxury. At all.

I enabled all the part of the mod, and do not using anything else than IGE (and I did this one only later when I noticed that I couldn't find any luxury). I got the additional races fines, along building or unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

These are old maps which haven't worked for some time; it's just one of the regular Civ 5 maps that you should use.

The luxuries appear as the game is played; they're not visible on the map at first.

Talking about luxuries, this was always the option I wanted to keep, but am open to changing it. I wanted to make it all part of the challenge, though I have noticed that once, for example, the AI has improved a hex, then a resource appears, it doesn't tend to go back and improve the resource. I'll give it a try without, see how it is.

Oh, and I'll look to make the lapis event a little later.

Thanks for your feedback Ady_C and welcome to Civfanatics. The issues you've mentioned don't seem to happen for me...you're not running any other mods are you?

4. Oragepoilu

Oragepoilu Chieftain

Thx for the answer.
    So you changed how luxury spawn in the world ? Because the normal way it that they spawn at the creation, and show them self once you have the correct discovery.
    However, IGE allow to edit the map and always show where luxury are regardless if you have a discovery or not, until you close the menu again.

More, giving myself all the research doesn't show any luxury.

Maybe it doesn't works with all maps ....

~testing~

Each time I start a game I have two luxury near my capital but the map itself is empty.
    IGE do show the two starting luxury regardless of my research (tested). Giving me all research doesn't change anything.

There is also no ancient ruins.

This was testing a continent map or fractal.

I'll try to install back the game in game something failed. Though, i did delete the folder in my document & the game itself before, so I wonder what could have been wrong.

Edit : full re install didn't changed the problem.

5. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

No, the spawning system isn't changed. Your issue is really weird. I vaguely remember that a couple (ten or twenty) pages ago someone had a similar issue but was able to solve it eventually. Somehow. (Can't look through the entire thread now though. Search function for "resources" doesn't really narrow it down much. :D )

@Rob: Regarding the maps, I've asked myself for ages why you don't just take the maps out since they don't work? Because people seem to get confused a lot, and these kinds of reports are rather frequent. ;)

6. Rob (R8XFT)

I have done so now - I don't know if the maps just stay in the Civ 5 repository if they've previously been downloaded.

7. Oragepoilu

Oragepoilu Chieftain

Ok, i found post of Deepsoul that had the same issue as me. I didn't found another post of him saying it's solved though, but as it's the very same issue (if I load a earth map i have no ressources BUT i have lots of ruins), while it's not the same version, problem might come from somewhere else (but I can't understand here as it's a fresh install).

EDIT : thx for having pointed out older post, I started to look over what I have.
    I was using a backup of the game every time I modded it (because I don't want to re download it every time to be sure), but I didn't noticed that i didn't updated my back up correctly for quite a lot of time(my version was 276 i think ? I don't even remember when I did that)
    I re downloaded it again, and the mod works fine. :)

8. ady c

ady c Chieftain

Nah, not running any other mods.
    I did a full play with Alexander, and tried today with Bodvoc that crashed when I tried to upgrade an archer to composite bowman, reloaded and same thing.
    I'll try and reinstall civ tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

9. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

Did you get past the Composite Bowman in your other game that started crashing at turn 297? Or do the Bodvoc have a unique version of the Composite Bowman? Because a crash at a certain turn likely means the AI (or you) are trying to build a broken unit or building so it appears the first time in game and causes the crash. That happened in an earlier version with the Garrison and was an easy fix that could be applied to the XML file even to an ongoing game (i.e. exit, fix it, then load the game again).

10. ady c

ady c Chieftain

I don't remember to be honest with you, but I've tried about 7 games and yes they all crash around that time period turn 200-300. I did however do a complete game with Alexander and he has a unique version of the bowman so perhaps it could indeed be that, strange how the AI didn't crash the game though.
    Many thanks for your advice, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to modding so any help would be most appreciated

11. Rob (R8XFT)

I have decided to upload to Steam workshop! Sorting it out as we speak.

12. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

That'll be more convenient for updates.

13. Rob (R8XFT)

I think so. I can do an update of the dropbox file as well, but if, for example, it's just the base game files that have changed, that's all you'll need to update.

Additionally, this has been moved to the Modpacks section. I'll update the first post to give the steam links when I get chance.

14. Yazd

Yazd Chieftain

Hi Rob, did you remove the Medes on purpose or are you going to add them in the next version?

15. Rob (R8XFT)

All the civs were removed at one point in order to make the files available to Steam (there's a filesize upload limit); I'm aiming to add (almost) all of them back in due course.

16. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Congrats on the release Rob!

17. Rob (R8XFT)

Thank-you!!

I've had to make a compromise with the steam version due to running out of room (there's an upload limit) so the Justified and Ancient civs don't have the Nuraghians, Catal Hoyuk or Sami. They are still in the dropbox link. However, the Steam version does have all resources visible from the start and the lapis lazuli event is deferred until the discovery of Nobility.

18. Aurore

Aurore Chieftain

A couple of questions and maybe a bug..

1. will you be continuing to post the dropbox version?

2. If I go with the steam version should I delete the download version I have installed first?

Bug... Around turn 425 or so, I pressed next turn and the game never got beyond trying to process the athenians. So I reloaded the game, continued, and after a few turns the same thing happened. Will retest soon.

Hmm did it again twice, turn 425 and athens. How odd. Maybe i should load an autosave and go kill Athens. they only have one city and are on my border so it would be possible.

Ok crashed a third time turn 425 on athens move. And again., Enabled logging this time.

Database log http://pastebin.com/bQ19FhSj

Lua log http://pastebin.com/yUNKEkLi

xml log http://pastebin.com/r3sxVwFi

Going to go ahead and delete the mod and reinstall on steam anyway

19. ady c

ady c Chieftain

With the help of Unedjis, I've found out what was causing the mod to crash for me.
    The Composite Bowman from the Roman Britain, Dark ages and Enemies of Rome all cause the game to crash. Not sure if it's every civ from those packs as I only tested a couple from each.

20. dullman

dullman Chieftain

I must say that the mod is good and provide especially fun gameplay for me who wants to play is either fantasy or up to medieval era games, but it seems there is something lacking like creating entire new policy sets or change in happiness system (As i play on huge lake map (170x120) with modified file that increase of amount of luxury res on map so it's really hard on me and ai to get happiness (basically i build any wonder which provide me hap, befriend every merchant city etc.) so maybe modify happiness to depend also on amount of lux res (like 4 for at least one and +2 for every which is additional). Also i would love to get to know if there is way to scale trade routes amount with map size?