1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Play the ancient world

1. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

It's a shame you describe the mod as having "something lacking" - I would definitely dispute that given the amount of new content in there. The Health policy tree is new and there has been a shake-up of policies with other new ones being placed in it. I didn't feel the need to amend the happiness system, though you only need to amend the value of happiness each luxury brings, or change the palace to yield X amount of happiness.

As for the composite bowman issue, I'll have a look into that on Friday.

2. dullman

dullman Chieftain

While i said "something lacking" i rather mean that feels like mod is in some version of alpha or beta rather then complete, and to be truthful while i find tech tree, units, wonders rather amazing that my describing something lacking is towards that the mod isn't complete total conversion they are remains values (or entries) from basic game like social policy, religion buffs which i consider (especially) social policy from basic game as something unbalanced that basically make you to choose only one path, i would prefer more tree's with somewhat more balanced choice which is used by me depend on initial start position (like mutually exclusive trees giving you either production from pasture or science from camp etc.).

3. Rob (R8XFT)

Ok; I'll take that on board as your opinion, though the mod hasn't exactly been "rushed out" there and has been in development for years. I have to disagree with you as there are so many things in the mod that enrich the gameplay.

4. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Do it yourself dude :rolleyes:

Rob and many other Mod makers, doesn't deserve this kind of comments. To build a big mod is a crazy thing. It needs extended technical skills, thousands hours of hard work, unlimited passion for Civ, massiv social networking, and historical knowledge.
    Anno Domini is 2 years of development so far, and it's just for you Dullman, just for you to play Civ again and again...

There are no more than 5 or 6 really amazing Modpacks for Civ5. Anno Domini is one of them. The real Alpha version is Civ5 without any Mod :lol:

5. dullman

dullman Chieftain

You see what i said by meaning that the mod feels like in beta was meaning that it it's need to be rebalanced in some area (not like in some early access on steam the games feel like there is a lot work to do) one of this are is policy (example is your health tree whilst almost all branches feels logical but one which increase improvement speed and give you worker feel like out of the place, the same goes with vanilla social trees it's need to be more "ancient" feel).

Also feeling like it's not complete adds some bugs/problems with game (I mean i totally played about 600 turn in game with random civ and gets two probably rather important bugs although non game breaking and one minor problem with unit so i consider that either i'm not lucky or there are more small problems with game)
    which are:
    - On the beginning cities sometimes grow normally and sometimes the food don't increase at all(even though the growth is greater than 0 after turn end current grow in turn is lost for two cities i have in one 1 food entire time (+2 growth) and in capital the turn change is 0,2 although shows 2,2(i suspect that that additional 10% only remain and isn't decreased), after some point i didn't see a problem anymore but it could be that i just have too high food growth in the cities (and to be truthful i only in current second play i wanted to see what it's a problem is)
    - One of great people isn't able to do great work even though i have free slot in palace (i don't remember how it called but it's that that can have a concert in other civ.)
    - and when upgrading slaves to worker it's cost 750 gold which is higher than getting new one worker in the city which cost 700 gold so here it's a problem of balance.

And to be truthful for all who feel like i'm quite aggressive toward this mod my target isn't to have attack mod but rather i feel that the mod will be greater with some additional elements and i know how much work is to gets something running since i made few games myself so i appreciate work of author(s) of this mod.

ALSO it's not like i don't enjoy current version if it was the fact i wouldn't play this mod at all.

6. Brackenspore

Brackenspore Prince

Can you make next mod: Anno Domini +Medieval + Renaissance Era Revised + Enlightenment Era?? If you combine these mods, it will be a masterpiece.

7. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

This is because of the Health system. If you have negative Health, you don't get as much Food output as you would in Vanilla. Especially problematic for Flood Plains starts but that's intentional.

The Philosophers (which are renamed Great Musicians) do not have their own Great Works up to v23, so if you're playing any older versions that's intentional. If you're playing v23, this is indeed a bug. (Haven't tried v23 myself yet.)

This is easily amended and you could actually even do it yourself without having to start a new game. Find the XML file with the stats for the Slave (probably in the Slavery folder) and adjust the gold cost.

As for your general balance concerns - as far as I've understood it, you're playing AD with a different luxury/happiness system ... and then you say AD is "imbalanced". If you played it as it's intended (without any other mods), maybe the balance would be there?

But generally "balance" is a matter of personal taste. Which is why I've been changing the mod to my liking starting in v11. There are some changes that I've carried over to each version because I've really grown fond of them, but none of them actually warrant mentioning them to Rob because his notion of balance in his own mod is simply a little different than mine. So if I don't like small things like how much Happiness the Alehouse gives, I change them myself rather than demanding the entire Resource/Happiness system be changed according to MY own PERSONAL taste.

There's a difference between making constructive suggestions for changes (which is fine and welcome if there are actual or perceived bugs, so what you did in your last post is cool) and demanding stuff the way you were phrasing it in your first posts in this thread. But I'll give you the benefit of doubt here and assume that you're at least trying to be nice and constructive about your feedback, and that it just comes across as a bit "aggressive" (as you call it).

8. Oragepoilu

Oragepoilu Chieftain

Hello,

Looking at the map with IGE I noticed that I had some Rice near my capital.

I also have one building (inside city) that allow me to have one rice; I made it, got one luxury rice; However, I cannot see the spot of rice in the map without IGE and adding a plantation (with IGE, again) do not give rice;

Is there something wrong with it ?

Edit : Actually I found a clay spot near another city, and I can't get it either.

ps : can a Proconsul parked at a city for the govern bonus can die from plague or any other health problem ? They often take quite some dmg and I cannot move them because of the game mechanic.

9. Unedjis

Unedjis Warlord

Those resources are supposed to be invisible and only obtainable via buildings. I'm not sure why they are also scattered as invisible resources around the map but without IGE you wouldn't ever notice them. Personally, I always replace all the invisible resources with other luxuries (in the case of Rice), Stone or Limestone (for Clay and the regular Marble), or Barley (for Barrels of Ale), both for myself and the AI because I think the resource distribution algorithm considers Marble and Rice as regular resources, so there are always some civs that have a really bad starting location because they have one luxury resource less than the others (with one being Rice or Marble).

No units (except Slaves, who lose HP each turn anyway) can actually die from the Plague itself. They always retain at least 2 HP. However, as soon as they end a turn near a diseased city, they get a "Diseased" defense penalty of -50%. This promotion is removed once the outbreak ends (i.e. when you get the message that "The recent outbreak of xy has ended"), but until then they defend at half strength. So be careful not to attack a plagued city; it'll wipe the floor with your diseased melee units.

10. Oragepoilu

Oragepoilu Chieftain

@unedjis

For the reply, it make it more clear.

After a more closer looks to my actual map I can see that some capitals that I though missed some resources were actually having invisible one. I found one (the worst civ by extremely far) have a lot of clay and rice around it, with one gem & one cattle only for the three city it had.

I changed it, like you did, now that I understand. I was the only capital that didn't had any luxury near it in my game, forcing me to focus on happiness :/

11. Khmaraches

Khmaraches Chieftain

Hello
    Thanks for the great mod! However I have a small issue: It seems that I can't play the maps inside the modpack. They are just inclickable in the menu. (maps from Brunksky are working fine).

I would be interested by creating some maps for this mod after playing it a bit more.

12. Rob (R8XFT)

Sorry, the maps don't actually work - they were created with an earlier version of the mod in mind. I'd welcome any maps people would like to create.

In other news, I think I've cracked the issue with the composite archer - for some reason the English Archer from Danrell's English pack was corrupted somehow (possibly in the download). I've redownloaded it and it seems fine. Testing it in-game.

EDIT: It works - a texture issue was causing the crash.

I've uploaded a small patch, available in the op. This is what it does:
    • Corrects composite bowman crash
    • Luxury resources appear on the map at the start of the game
    • Lapis lazuli event does not happen until the discovery of Nobility - where gems become available

13. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

You seem to be taking over the whole 1st page of the Steam "Most Popular This Week" page. Not sure if I want to offer congrats or start a secret "Let's All Be Jealous of Rob" club.

The Scipio update has gotten a bit delayed with RealLifeSucks, tho I'm sure you won't mind not having to roll changes into your civ-pack and offer another update for a while :)

Scipio, however, would like to know if you can send him this Leader's locale: he's thinking he may need to lead an expedition there to 'enhance the glory of Rome', as he puts it.

14. eScapegoat

eScapegoat Chieftain

Just wanted to say that this Mod is fantastic. Everything I ever wanted in a Civ mod. Thanks Rob and team for all your hard work. As someone who has made a few little mods I understand the time and energy this hobby consumes.

Well done.

15. Rob (R8XFT)

No problem - I understand RLS zone. You may want to read through the Steam comments as some people are playing Scipio and have some good comments (positive and constructive).

Thank you!!

I've managed to sort out the issues with the Catalhoyuk, Nuraghians and Sami not being in the Steam upload - I've not exceeded the upload limit, so it must have been something else. They're there now at least!

16. Allard

Allard Chieftain

Fun mod, but I am suffering from random crashes.

17. Rob (R8XFT)

@Allard - you're going to have to elaborate on the crashes you're experiencing. When do they happen? Have you got any other mods running?

18. edboltz

edboltz Chieftain

I can't seem to build the Domus improvement as the Etruscans

19. Khmaraches

Khmaraches Chieftain

After having some issues with the world editor and win10 I've started the first map.

Spoiler :

I've used all the British city states and all the civs except Belgae (had no room for them, I think I'll use them later as proxy-Votidani, to expand north and add Caledonii.)

Speaking about Belgae I've found a small bug with them: Their 2nd or 3rd city is named Reims like the French one.

I'll add the map here as soon as I finish and playtested it.

20. Rob (R8XFT)

Thanks for raising this; I'll look into it.

Thanks for doing the map. Why do you call them having a city called "Reims" a bug? According to Caesar, he met them near Reims; they originated in that part of the world and a faction of them then came over to Britain.