Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Hey Rob.

I was finally able to play your mod and overcome the problem I had with it (strategic and luxury resources not appearing on the map). For some reason, it was because of the "random" map type. As soon as I started using Pangaea or Continents, everything went fine.

Overall, I absolutely loved it ! Congratulations to you and the people who lent you a hand.

Yet, I only managed to play one full game with it, and a few ones I had to stop, mainly because of bugs (zero other mods, of course). This is gonna be a long post, sorry for not keeping it short.

The game I managed to finish was with Priamos, on Continents, Prince difficulty. I went for a cultural victory, and barely managed to win (turn 487). Sadly, I don't have much to say about wars and units balance, because I never entered war in that game. I'm currently playing a game as the Amazons, and while one of my saves got corrupted somehow, I can still play it fine. Fingers crossed.

A note about the Amazons : they seem overpowered. Those free promotions you gave their ranged units allow them to get things like March, Indirect Fire and Logistics (!) super quickly. At turn 100, two of my upgraded slingers had March and Logistics (2 attacks per turn).

Tech tree

First of all, the tech tree is amazing. Tons of wonders, lots of hard choices to make, much less linear than vanilla. I loved it, it was great and is definitely one of the best things about your mod.

Still, I have one concern about it : luxury resource exploitation. Your choice is interesting design-wise, but I seem to get some really punishing starts quite often. In some games, I would start near some resources I wouldn't be able to get before mid/lategame, like wine or ivory. In others, I would start near easily obtained Furs and Spices. You probably took that into account, but it's still quite a bother to me, as it has a tremendous effect on happiness, and makes it REALLY hard to play wide (currently playing a game as the Amazons, and this is a huge bother). Do you have something against playing wide ? :lol:

As a consequence, some Civs that give happiness seem more appealing than others. At first glance, Etruscans, for example, seem quite overpowered to me in the few games I played.

Social Policies

I've got mixed feelings about those. I like changes, and you definitely made a lot here. Still, Ceremony (the old Tradition from vanilla) seem as useful as ever, so does Wisdom.

On the other hand, the Health Tree seems like a waste. I really loved the Plague & Health mechanic, but the impact is too minor to justify dedicating a whole tree to it on my opinion. If plagues were more devastating, or Health had some REAL use (like giving happiness above a given threshold, for example), it may be different. For now, I don't see the point of that tree, but I may be wrong.

I went for Aesthetics in my cultural victory, and it seemed strong enough. Only Legalism is a bit of a disappointment, as by the time you reach Anno Extentionis, you'll most likely have built monuments in your cities anyways.

I also took Piety as Priamos, and it seemed more useful than vanilla, but again, I may be wrong.

Cannot speak of the other trees.

Pacing of the game and achieving victory

That may be my only real gripe with your mod.

Seriously, I thought I wouldn't make it. Granted, Troydoesn't have any bonuses for playing Cultural, but...if I'm not mistaken, you cannot cross oceans before Anno Domini era (Naval Supremacy tech). That's awfully late. It was around turn 380 that I could encounter every civ, and I almost beelined for it.

That brings me to my next point. How are you supposed to achieve Scientific and Diplomatic victories here ? When I won the game at turn 487, awfully close to the limit, most AIs were still in Anno Imperii. Diplomatic victory still wasn't available (that really surprised me, when does the option to be elected World leader arises ?) and I was nowhere close to a scientific victory (I had entered Anno Obscuri for 40 turns or so, and would have needed about 50 more turns, at +1500 beakers). Yet I had lots of citizens (around 70 in my capital), but only 4 cities. Are you supposed to play wide (is it even possible in your mod ?) to achieve scientific victory, or do you want it to be obtainable by specific civs only ? (Corieltauvi comes to mind, but seems buggy, read on)

Anyways, in my later games, I disabled the 500 turns limit for that reason.

Bugs

I encountered only a few, to be honest. It just seemed like a lot to me because I tried playing Corieltauvi 10 times, and had to abort all my games.

First of all, City States. Some appear on the map, but don't seem to "exist". When you click on them, you get to the screen of a nearby City State, with whom they share the same influence. Also, some units from City States seem to be named after another City State, sometimes not even in the game.

I had a minor bug with an event that gave me the option to buy mercenaries. I selected that option, yet I ended up paying no gold for them.

Then, the infamous "no-growth bug" that ruined a lot of my games. This happens everytime I try playing Corieltauvi, and it has ruined every game with them so far. Population just doesn't grow. The bar on the right of the city population doesn't indicate "stagnation", but it gives a number that just doesn't decrease from turn to turn. Seems to happen randomly, but I could never get past turn 150 or so.

Also happened once with Ithaca, but I had IGE at that time, so that might be cause for them (for Corieltauvi, it definitely isn't).

Conclusion

Well...I could only finish one game, though my game with Amazons isn't broken right now, and I may be able to finish it. But I suspect this is because Corieltauvi aren't functional, and I just stubbornly tried to play them over and over.

But the game I did finish was great. No war against me (that has nothing to do with your mod), but still great. And there's a reason I've been trying so hard to play Anno Domini again : I loved it, from the beginning to the end.

It probably has been said a lot, and you must be tired to hear it but...having compatibility with IGE or InfoAddict, to name a few, would be awesome.

Keep up the good work. Anno Domini deserves much praise.
If you wish to enlighten me on some of the issues I encountered, I'd be very happy.

:hatsoff:

Thanks for a very thorough run through of your experiences. In truth, Anno Domini started out as a mod I made just for me, that I thought I would share with others and I'm glad that at least some people have derived enjoyment out of it. I must admit that I tend to find myself playing very much a similar style each time, so it's great to get the thoughts of other people and (hopefully) incorporate them into the mod if I can.

I hear what you're saying about the pace of the game; a gripe I have with my own mod is that you can go from struggling for funds in the first part of the game and suddenly become quite well off - with no inbetween stage.

Health and Plague has some parts switched off (that you can switch on) which make it perhaps more needy of the social policies, particularly the fact that cities can become abandoned.

City-states can build two other cities in the mod; however, clicking on a secondary city takes you to the owner of the main "city-state city".

The scientific victory is a caravan victory - you build the different caravans available in Anno Obscurii and bring them back to the capital. It does produce the spaceship sequence, but it's a science victory all the same. I had been told previously that there was an issue with the diplomatic victory but I can't understand why that is, though I had also thought it had been resolved - it seems not!

I wasn't aware of the "no growth" bug! Is that only in Anno Domini or is it a Civ 5 issue?

Just so that you know, sorry, but I won't be making this compatible with the other mods; firstly down to my own capability, secondly due to not having much time (too much going on in RL).

Thanks for the answer !

I didn't know city-states could build other cities, that explains a lot ! Sorry for not being aware of that.

I never had this no-growth bug with any mod other than Anno Domini, nor in vanilla. I'll try playing more Anno Domini games in the next few days, and see if it's a Corieltauvi-only bug for me. I'll also try playing Brigantia or some other diplomatic-heavy civilization, to see if I can be elected world leader. I'll keep you informed in this thread, though it may take a while.

Just so that you know, sorry, but I won't be making this compatible with the other mods; firstly down to my own capability, secondly due to not having much time (too much going on in RL).

Don't be sorry about it; I understand. Your dedication to this project is quite incredible, and real life gets priority.

One last question. If I understood correctly, there were maps for Anno Domini at some point, yet they don't work anymore. Do you have any plan on working on that ? Sorry, those questions must be asked a lot, and you must get tired of answering them all, over and over again, for months.

Hello people,

Thank you for this amazing mod Rob!! :) I was playing when at turn 800 I got that Error:
Runtime Error: C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Anno Domini v23\Anno Domini (v 1)\Mercenaries/Lua/JFD_Mercenaries_Functions.lua:59: attempt to compare number with nil.

What can I do because I cannot continue the game?

Thanks for the answer !
One last question. If I understood correctly, there were maps for Anno Domini at some point, yet they don't work anymore. Do you have any plan on working on that ? Sorry, those questions must be asked a lot, and you must get tired of answering them all, over and over again, for months.
No worries! I didn't create the maps myself and there are no plans to recreate them. I understand that Anno Domini and WorldBuilder don't actually get on very well and that's the issue creating maps.

Hello people,

Thank you for this amazing mod Rob!! :) I was playing when at turn 800 I got that Error:
Runtime Error: C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Anno Domini v23\Anno Domini (v 1)\Mercenaries/Lua/JFD_Mercenaries_Functions.lua:59: attempt to compare number with nil.

What can I do because I cannot continue the game?
I'm not sure to be honest. Do you have any other mods running? I didn't write the Mercenaries code so I'm not sure if something within it doesn't mix with something in Anno Domini. I will try but I'm not sure if I can fix that one - but hopefully one of the lua experts that frequent this thread will be able to shed some light on it.

I'm not sure to be honest. Do you have any other mods running? I didn't write the Mercenaries code so I'm not sure if something within it doesn't mix with something in Anno Domini. I will try but I'm not sure if I can fix that one - but hopefully one of the lua experts that frequent this thread will be able to shed some light on it.
It's coming from this chunk of JFD's code within the referenced file (JFD_Mercenaries_Functions.lua):
Code:
if (not player:IsMinorCiv()) then
	[color="green"]flavourMercenary = JFD_GetLeaderFlavour(playerID, "FLAVOR_JFD_MERCENARY")[/color]
end
[color="red"]if chanceToConsiderMerc <= flavourMercenary then[/color]
The highlighted line in red is the line generating the error, but I suspect the actual trouble is creeping in on the line highlighted in green. If any major civ's leader does not have a specification for the "FLAVOR_JFD_MERCENARY", then when the lua function "JFD_GetLeaderFlavour" runs for that leader, it appears to want to return 'nil', which then causes the problem on the red line when an attempt is made to compare 'nil' to a number. JFD really needs to alter the code within file "JFD_MercenariesUtilities.lua" so that his function "JFD_GetLeaderFlavour" gives '0' or '5' or something when a major civ's leader does not have such a flavor-type as "FLAVOR_JFD_MERCENARY" assigned to it.

Cheers LeeS; I'll need to run through the leaders and assign them in that case. I have done so with some but assumed it was set at five for the others. It may well be the case that I've not copied the appropriate file from JFD or that a Mercenaries update has taken care of it.

You can either assign them all values in the XML, or just do

Code:
flavourMercenary = JFD_GetLeaderFlavour(playerID, "FLAVOR_JFD_MERCENARY")[B][COLOR="Green"] or 5[/COLOR][/B]

Thanks whoward69. I presume that the leaders I've then assigned values simply have the generic one overridden?

Also, I've been trying to add pictures to the events, which has been a feature of "Events and Decisions" for a while now. I've tried different formats and sizes, but none seem to work (I've look at the ones Jan put in the game that work and also tried formats that all other artwork seems to work in). Instead, I just get a black space where the image should go, sized to the size of the image. I've tried asking for help in the "Events and Decisions" thread without success, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to try them out!

EDIT: JFD has just responded to my question in the "Events and Decisions" thread - so I may have a solution after all!

Thanks whoward69. I presume that the leaders I've then assigned values simply have the generic one overridden?
You'll get the Leader Flavor value assigned in the xml where there is one assigned for that flavor to that leader. Otherwise you will get '5'. I did a quick scan using AgentRansack throughout the Anno Domini v23\Anno Domini v23\Anno Domini (v 1) folder from the most recent version I downloaded yesterday and the only place JFD's 'lookup' function is used is in the one place where the trouble was occuring. So if it were me I'd apply William 's much easier fix rather than hunting and pecking through all the leader-files in the Anno Domini system.

Hi Rob,

Don't know if you have plans to re-enable The Nuraghians in Anno Domini, but I've recently updated the mod with a revised design (as well as fixed some minor issues in the Events and Decisions). I don't know how relevant it is, since I know you tend to re-design some of the civs when including them in the mod. But in any case, might be worth it to update the events and decisions.

Just thought I'd let you know :D

is it rude to ask when the next update will be? :cringe:

also in some maps the luxuries won't spawn and it crashes around the anno extonis era for me every damn time!:mad:

still a good mod though :goodjob:

@Danmacsch: Thank-you - though the Nuraghians are already in Anno Domini. I was initially unable to upload them to Steam as part of the "Justified and Ancient" pack, but later successfully updated the pack with them in it. I did my own decisions (at least I think I did, definitely there's decisions in there!) and (as far as I remember) amended the uniques so that they were like your version.

@gilliebillie: I'm not planning many more updates, though I am on holiday in about a week or so and plan to iron out any issues and put some updates into the mod during that time.

Okay, good to hear. I didn't check again, but just remembered they weren't in the initial Steam upload.
About the decisions, it's fine if you simply have your own decisions, but IMO it would be a shame if one of them didn't include the Giants of Mont'e Prama, as they do in my version - just my two cents :D.
Regarding the Uniques, I pushed an update three or four days ago or something, in which all unique components have been changed substantially, but maybe maybe that's the one you got.
Anyways, glad to see them included again :).

Anno Domini Saves are Crashing Civ5

Playing Anno Domini mod (v2) is great (started a week or so back, using Win 10), but every saved game I try to load crashes Civ5. Problem reoccurs regardless of the number of civs I have been playing with (have tried games with all, 3 and just 1 civ loaded). Have looked at a number of the related threads on CivFanatics, after which I verified the integrity of my game cache, but no local issues were identified. Have never deleted any saved game files, so db indexing issues are presumed not to apply. *In between Anno Domini saved game crashes, I have been starting, playing, saving -and successfully reloading- both Civ5 BNW unmodded and Civ 5 Faerun mod games with no problems whatsoever, so this issue is specific to some code in the Anno Domini mod. Can't afford the time to start any more Anno Domini games until this issue is resolved. Hopefully can return to it in the future. Thx.

First off I want to thank you for the amazing Mod!

I hope it's alright for me to share my Database logs here. I am experiencing a similar crashing issue when loading a save file. Please let me know if I can provide any other logs! :)

• I have made sure not to have any non-AD MODs enabled. I have cleared the cache and redownloaded the Mod files.
  • I have also made sure to have the updated version of the Art files (which are on the Steam workshop)

Spoiler :
[175894.656] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[175894.656] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[175908.562] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[175909.687] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[175912.234] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[175912.234] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[175913.265] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[175923.296]
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 6252408 75815000
PageCache: 6 12
LookAside: 0 0
Scratch: 0 1

Static Buffer Overflows: