Announcement: Old World Release!

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
The full release of Old World is coming July 1st 2021 to the Epic Games Store!
  • Dynamic Event System with over 3000 unique events!
  • Choose from 7 Nations
  • Innovative Order system
  • Original soundtrack from Christopher Tin
Get the game now!
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/old-world

*** Please keep an eye on our announcements over the next few months as we may have news about other distro platforms.

Last edited:
Great news! Are there not any plans for a Steam release though?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Great news! I didn’t realize Christopher Tin did the music- I was going to say how incredibly good the music is and now I know why.

I’ve noticed that the yellow “too many requests” lines have appeared with far less frequency. Unfortunately I’m still dealing with massive slowdowns by around turn 125 or so, Medium Size, and this is after turning all graphics setting to the lowest, single unit animation, no movement graphic, etc. This slowdown is not as bad as earlier this year but it means I stop playing by around ambition number 9. I also don’t infiltrate territory because revealing more map means more slowdown. I also tried playing on my new Mac (instead of my regular PC) and have the same issue. Is optimizing still happening?

All the music you've heard thus far is from other performers, Christopher Tin's isn't in yet. But the soundtrack is definitely chosen very well.

Optimization is still ongoing, tile improvements are a major performance killer so there's a lot of ongoing work on them, and the game has also become better at scaling down if you switch to lower graphics quality. I'm curious what your GPU is?

For my mac, does this answer the question? Here's what I found:

Chipset Model: Apple M1

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

Total Number of Cores: 7

Vendor: Apple (0x106b)

Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: Internal

Very cool! Hoping the optimization is improved on the full release. My poor Haswell CPU is dying. (But it might just be time to upgrade...)

Great news! Are there not any plans for a Steam release though?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

As per Leyla Johnson (Mohawk CEO) on the public discord channel, please keep an eye on our announcements over the next few months as we may have news about other distro platforms.

The EA has a tutorial of some form already. :)
The tutorial pop ups? They do help explain the mechanics but I still feel a bit lost. Theres so much information on the tooltips I struggle to focus on what I need to know. I was hoping for something a bit more guided. Hopefully someone does a video series on release that can go through it step by step :)

No Steam, no GOG, no sale.

I hope the 'early access' release people have been playing the past year counts as the 'one year exclusive period' for Epic.

No Steam, no GOG, no sale.

I hope the 'early access' release people have been playing the past year counts as the 'one year exclusive period' for Epic.

We're focused on releasing the game on one platform. As an Indie studio it simplifies the development process. But stay turned to Mohawk's socials after release as we will start announcing what plans there are moving forwards after Epic release.

Old World, Humanoids, Civ 6. One might wish to be poor. Then, one would not have such choices. All 3 are fun now, but Humanoids is the furtherest from release (i.e. more bugs to fix, I guess from my playtime). Civ 6 is the most bloated (which is read by some as more content = better). I will probably concentrate on OW starting in a week or so. And I will try to get a new NVME SSD drive working so the loading times are reasonable in the late game. My life is planned out. Retirement does have some perks! Of course you have to be old to get it...

I'll be all over Old World like bronze on a doorknob as soon as it hits Steam or GOG. That is if they've fixed the end game slow-downs.

I'll be all over Old World like bronze on a doorknob as soon as it hits Steam or GOG. That is if they've fixed the end game slow-downs.

We've been working hard on addressing performance issues in the game. It's come a long way from 6 months ago.

The tutorial pop ups? They do help explain the mechanics but I still feel a bit lost. Theres so much information on the tooltips I struggle to focus on what I need to know. I was hoping for something a bit more guided. Hopefully someone does a video series on release that can go through it step by step :)

I've noticed new random events that introduce you to new mechanics that allow you to exercise them for free, like, "your ambassador wants to try a trade route with X, should she go ahead and do that?" and then you learn that that's a thing you can do. I really like this a lot b/c even though I've now played the game a ton of times I still forget about certain things that I can do. I keep forgetting about stuff like "Rally Troops" and "Hold Court" and "Convert Religion" and "Launch Offensive" (which is super cool).

Random small suggestions:

I've struggled to see the value of the "Adopt Child" power that Schemers have. It would be nice to have an "Adopt child" option appear when you click your own portrait, and then when you click it, it shows you the list of possible adoptees. Right now I'm very unclear as to who is eligible to be adopted (anyone younger? anyone under 18?), and I basically pull up my full list of people and scroll through and click random people to see if they are adoptable, which is really inefficient.

Also, I appreciate now that the popups tell you what attitude X now has towards you upon the switch of a new ruler, new head of religion, etc. In doing so, it'd be nice to know what the attitude was before, so you know whether it went up or down. e.g., "remains cautious" or "has changed from cautious to furious" or whatever.

I would prefer steam or gog, but at the same time I haven't had any issues so far with Epic: I have been working on OW for months: however, that doesn't mean it isn't a legimate consideration, just reporting my experience. @Stringer1313: it is very interesting that the fact that the OW UI (in my opinion) is fantastic actually makes it easier to find constructive suggestions for it. I've never seen a game with 6 nested levels of tooltips, but of course once you realize it can do that I want it to go even deeper and include even more info! No good deed goes unpunished.

Hi @Dale

I feel an announcement on other game stores needs to be made sooner rather than later, whilst this game still has momentum. I, and many others, are desperate to try it out but the Epic Store is a big obstacle. A consumer-unfriendly application and previous data breaches make the whole service seem very unpalatable. I would love to try the game out but eagerly await to hear the direction you will be taking.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Top Bottom