Announcement Trailer for Civ5

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Gaming site IGN published an announcement trailer for Civ5 earlier today. While the 90 second video contains no in-game footage, it sets the stage for what will hopefully be more videos to come.

In the trailer, numerous quotations are heard, narrating a sequence of still images and video scenes: Vikings at sea, the city of Constantinople, and exploring the New World, to name a few. The clip has the feel of an intro video for a game, and so any insight is pretty limited.

Thanks to Newcomer24 for the news tip.

>> Watch the trailer at IGN

Oh wow, I can't wait for this game! :eekdance:

All the quotes:

Spoiler :
"A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance."
- Jawaharlal Nehru

"(To) build courage when courage seems to fail; (to) regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith; (to) create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
- Douglas MacArthur

"I never learned how to tune a harp, or play upon a lute; but I know how to raise a small and obscure city to glory and greatness...whereto all kindreds of the earth will pilgrim."
- Themistocles

"The great questions of the time are not decided by speeches and majority decisions...but by iron and blood."
- Otto von Bismarck

"I have witnessed the tremendous energy of the masses. On this foundation it is possible to accomplish any task whatsoever."
- Mao Zedong

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"
- Eleanor Roosevelt

i think theyre meant to intrigue people who havent played civ before and to torture those who have. :)

I think if they have the cites zoom in that far and see people walking around at the market, working on wonders or going to the library.... or rioting... that would be worth half the game right there.

Alea Jacta Est. We can only expect many more of these teasers at strategically chosen dates. They want us to wait like crazy for civ 5, and well, they're being successful in that.

I do not expect the release date of autumn 2010 to be real though. It is a further strategy of getting our expectations up and having us wait for it. I expect Civ5 in early 2011. That would also be OK with the 20-year anniversary of the Civilization series.

Can anyone believe this is 20 years old? I remember Civ 1 like it was yesterday.

The only thing I can tell is that they are trying to be serious and realistic. Other than that, this was an absolutely useless trailer.

The only thing I can tell is that they are trying to be serious and realistic. Other than that, this was an absolutely useless trailer.
i agree. so few we have about the game. neither tips on features & gameplay nor new screenies.

Damn it, it's almost the same as civ4 teasers I watched for a year before it came out...

I didn't like that video at all. It shows nothing of the game and it makes me no more thirsty. It's just a collection of half-impressive animations combined with mediocre music and some cliché quotes spoken with broad American accents. What an utter waste of my time.

They should take a look at how Oblivion's trailer was done. With real images from the game, and Patrick Stewart narrating. That one was done several years ago and still remains impressive. Oh well. At least I have no doubt that Civilization 5 the game will be good!

Wow. That was an awesome trailer, and I really like the voice work so far. It's no Leonard Nimoy, but it really fits the quotes.

I would love for the Vikings to be in this one, but I have a feeling it was purely cinematic.

An aside: Why has there been such a huge increase in complaining since this game was announced? Just a few months ago, there were a few "Civ 5 will never come out - OMG!" threads. I guess there's just no pleasing everyone.

Top Bottom