Announcing a new scenario! 843 - 1204

Head Serf

Emperor
I would like to announce my plans for my new scenario for EMA. It begins in 843 (the year of the Treaty of Verdun) and ends in 1204 (the year of the Crusader capture of Constantinople). This will act as a sort of continuation of my other scenario, The Dark Ages, which ended in 843.

My current list of civilizations and their leaders is:

1. Ummayads - Emir Abd ar-Rahman II
2. West Francia - Charles the Bald
3. Middle Francia - Emporer Lothair I
4. East Francia - Louis the German
5. England - Alfred the Great
6. Vikings - Ragnar Lodbrok
7. Kingdom of Leon-Castile - Ordono I
8. Abassids - Al-Mutawakkil
9. Great Moravia - Prince Rastislav
10. Bohemia - Borivoj I
11. Khazars - Khagan Tarkhan
12. Byzantium - Basil I
13. Bulgaria - Simeon I
14. Idrisids - Ali I
15. Kievan Rus - Prince Oleg
16. Scotland - Kenneth Mac Alpine
17. Armenia - Ashot I

Please note that not every leader or civilization was necessarily around at the year 843. I chose to include them because of their importance during the time the scenario takes place. For instance, Armenia would not gain independence from the Abbasids until about 861.

I have not been able to think of a good name for the scenario, so if anyone has a good idea please tell me.

The scenario will be released with whatever the new version is.

And here is the map of where the civilizations will be, roughly.

Attachments

• 843 Political.JPG
    843 Political.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,104
Looking good. As i like challenges, i'll surely try to play with Armenia, as it looks kinda squeezed between the big civs, heh :)

cool, but dont make the byzantines as weak in dark ages. they were rich AND poweful, until ofcourse Manzikert. Byzantines are cool, and they were undone by feuding (not unlike Hamlet), and loosing asia minor.

Please note that not every leader or civilization was necessarily around at the year 843. I chose to include them because of their importance during the time the scenario takes place. For instance, Armenia would not gain independence from the Abbasids until about 861.
Not exactly, Armenia was only nominally under Baghdad's control. The Bagratunis (like Ashot) has de facto control of Armenia, and the Battle of 40 around 861 ended all Arab attempts to take it back.

What about adding volga bulgaria and maybe the rustamid imamate?

^^^While I don't like the nature of that name in any way, I think it is quite appropriate given the starting date. If you don't mind me asking, what made you think of the sacking of constantinople as the ending date? Just curious is all

What about adding volga bulgaria and maybe the rustamid imamate?

^^^While I don't like the nature of that name in any way, I think it is quite appropriate given the starting date. If you don't mind me asking, what made you think of the sacking of constantinople as the ending date? Just curious is all
Volga Bulgaria is not in the mod, but the Rustamids sound interesting, where would they be?

I am questioning that end date. The Turks appear before that and fight Manzikert and destroy Armenia Proper and Armenian Cilicia is created within that period, so it is very difficult to do that. I suggest moving the end date to maybe 1045, the fall of Ani. It seems more appropriate since no nomads like the Turks appear during that period. Though historically they did fight and lose a battle to the Armenian king Gagik II in 1042, they never were able to penetrate by 1045. Yeah, so I think 1045 is better, and the next scenario you make could be 1080-1204, and then the one after could be from the Mongol arrival to 1453.

Volga Bulgaria is not in the mod, but the Rustamids sound interesting, where would they be?

I am questioning that end date. The Turks appear before that and fight Manzikert and destroy Armenia Proper and Armenian Cilicia is created within that period, so it is very difficult to do that. I suggest moving the end date to maybe 1045, the fall of Ani. It seems more appropriate since no nomads like the Turks appear during that period. Though historically they did fight and lose a battle to the Armenian king Gagik II in 1042, they never were able to penetrate by 1045. Yeah, so I think 1045 is better, and the next scenario you make could be 1080-1204, and then the one after could be from the Mongol arrival to 1453.

The Rustamids were imams who ruled in the central maghrib between the idrisids and the abbasids. Their capital was Tahert and the proper leader would be al-Wahhab.

I agree on the date because you're getting to a time period where there is a lot of changes by the 12th-13th centuries. Most of the civs don't exist any more by this time.

If I can count right adding the rustamids would make it 18 civs. :)

Well, I've taken into consideration a lot of your comments and such.

Firstly, I'm glad you all brought up the Turks. I've decided, similarly to what Drtad recommended, to have the scenario run from 843 until 1071 (the battle of Manzikert). The next scenario I'll make will run from 1071 until 1258 (the sacking of Baghdad), and the final scenario from 1258 until 1480 (Russia gains independence from the Tatars).

I don't plan on adding the Rustamids considering they were conquered by other Muslims not long after the start of the scenario.

I also don't plan on including Volga Bulgaria because they didn't gain their independence from the Khazars until 965, over halfway through the scenario.

On the other hand, I may include the Rustamids as a civilization meant to be destroyed early on by the Abbasids. What do you all think?

Thanks for everyone's contributions!

Instead of the Rustamids, I'd think that the Republic of Novgorod might be better. It could prevent the Kievans and the Khazars from growing too big, and will fill in that empty void in the north.

Well, I've taken into consideration a lot of your comments and such.

Firstly, I'm glad you all brought up the Turks. I've decided, similarly to what Drtad recommended, to have the scenario run from 843 until 1071 (the battle of Manzikert). The next scenario I'll make will run from 1071 until 1258 (the sacking of Baghdad), and the final scenario from 1258 until 1480 (Russia gains independence from the Tatars).

I don't plan on adding the Rustamids considering they were conquered by other Muslims not long after the start of the scenario.

I also don't plan on including Volga Bulgaria because they didn't gain their independence from the Khazars until 965, over halfway through the scenario.

On the other hand, I may include the Rustamids as a civilization meant to be destroyed early on by the Abbasids. What do you all think?

Thanks for everyone's contributions!

Actually the point at which you have the abbasids is its high point they did no more conquering except for cyprus and invasions of the greek islands. After 843 it all went down hill. The aghlabids gained control of ifriqiya in 860? and the samanids and saffarids shortly after in central asia and iran as well as the zaidids and qarmatians in arabia.

@ Drtad- Good point, however making the territory of there useless is good too.

I am a kind of new to the MOD and its scenarios, so I don’t know which version of the mod you meant this scenario to come with.

Also the most important Islamic faction in north-Africa in the period you chose is the Fatimids they have’t been there at the beginning that is sure, but they flourished during most of this period and began their decline right before the coming of the crusades, when they lost Jerusalem to the Turks (this should actually be named Seljuks). By any means the Abbasids for the most of this period had almost no control over north-Africa, and the eastern coast of the Mediterranean.

Good luck with your work (P.S. I liked your Dark Ages scenario a lot)

the fatimids were the egyptians.

Well, you can say so. The Fatimid dynasty moved its capital to Cairo which they built after conquering Egypt. Anyway they were much involved and more influential in the middle east in the main period of the scenario time frame.

Egypt was the only regional power left after the crusaders moved through syria and it was egypt that took back Jerusalem under Sal-Ah-Dinh (think i spelled it wrong).

Well, it is Salah-E-Deen, this might be the best spelling I can think of. Arabic names don’t lend themselves easily to be transliterated into European languages.

About the historical facts. Saladin (I will use the more English friendly name), belonged to a Kurdish family in the service of Emad El-Din Zinky and his son Nour El-Din Mahmoud. Those ruled a small independent state in current day Syria and started the counter attack against the crusaders. They managed in taking some of the territories the crusaders conquered earlier.
Due to a long sequence of events Saladin ended up with an uncle of his in Egypt leading a Syrian army that helped at different times different factions within the Fatimids court. In the end the uncle Sherkoh, was appointed as vizier. Dying shortly after that Saladin became the vizier of the Fatimid Caliph. He then ended the Fatimid family rule all together and became sultan of Egypt. He began next with consolidating a foot hold in Syria taking most of the land that belonged to his former master who was dead by then. Only then he turned his attention to the Latin kingdom of Jerusalem and other crusaders principalities. He managed in winning a rather decisive victory in Hiteen that allowed him to capture Jerusalem shortly after that

To clarfy things in north africa, the abbasids gave power to the aghlabids in north africa in the early 9th century where they ruled from tunisia on behalf of the abbasid caliph, from there in the mid 9th century the tulunids ruled as independent in egypt. The fatimids in 910 overthrew the aghlabids and ruled from tunisia and it wasn't until al-Muizz in 969 conquered egypt and rule from there. Salah al-Din was a zangid general who overthrew the fatimids and founded his own ayyubid dynasty.

What! Poland's not in!

Spoiler :

And theres another map that i'll try to find sooner or later

and btw: This post is 75 % :joke:

they wernt there really, and if you dont like it, go make a scenerio based around them!

Top Bottom