Announcing heihojin's 19th PBEM game!

heihojin

Prince
Ladies, Gentlemen, and Barbarians:

I am pleased to announce that I am now taking signups for my nineteenth PBEM game! This is a Civilization IV PBEM game and requires the latest version of Civilization IV (currently v1.09) to participate.

So far, I have the following confirmed players:
  • heihojin (me) - random leader
  • Gnarfflinger - Saladin of the Arabs
If you would like to play, please send me a private message or e-mail with the following information:
  1. your CFC user name (required),
  2. your e-mail address (required),
  3. your leader preferences (please give your top three choices, if any),
  4. your physical location (required - city, state and country, or time zone relative to GMT),
  5. the password you would like for your turn (optional, although I strongly recommend it),
  6. your SMTP server address (optional), and
  7. any customized civilization information (Leader Name, Civ Description, Short Description, and/or Civ Adjective).
Because some of this information is sensitive, I strongly recommend you not post this information in a reply to this thread. I will post replies in this thread indicating when spots are filled.

You may only request a spot for yourself; I will not accept any requests on someone else's behalf. Please note that if you wish to play a particular civilization that has more than one leader available (such as the Chinese), you must select a leader or I will simply assign one to you.

Please note that your choice of leader is considered public information at the start of the game. If you opt for a random leader, you are expected to inform me of the actual leader given to you immediately following your first turn.

The game will begin as soon as I have eight confirmed players. If you have not specified a leader preference by the time the game launches, you will be assigned a random leader. Spots for the game and leader preferences will generally be filled first-come, first-serve, as determined by the timestamp of the request; however, I may deliberately favor some requests over others in the interest of balancing my games.

Turn summaries will likely not be posted to this or any other forum, as I am far more interested in actually playing the game than with posting turns in a public forum.

Commitments

By requesting to play you commit to the following:
  • You agree to contact me (through e-mail, private message, a third party or other means) as soon as possible if you encounter technical difficulties or other circumstances that prevent you from fulfilling these commitments.
  • You agree to act in a courteous manner toward all other players at all times in your "out-of-game" communication.
  • You agree to abide by the general protocol for gameplay as set forth in the welcome e-mail, as well as any changes to the protocol I may make during the course of the game.
  • You agree to inform me when you are going to be unavailable for a period of greater than 24 hours.
  • You agree to check your e-mail at least once daily (at least twice daily is preferred).
  • You agree to promptly respond to all messages - immediately, if possible.
  • You agree to complete and forward your turn within 24 hours of receiving it.
  • You agree to refrain from "in-game" communication with another player until making contact with that player's civilization.
  • You agree to play the game to completion unless personal or technical circumstances render it impossible for you to do so.
If you would like to peruse my general protocol for PBEM gameplay prior to signing up, let me know and I will happily e-mail it to you.

"In-game" communication refers to sharing information about your civilization or other players' civilizations, making deals, proposing alliances, etc.. "Out-of-game" communication primarily refers to administrative matters (such as "Dude, where's my turn?" e-mails), but also includes innocuous conversation (such as "Where is everyone from?" e-mails).

Default Game Settings

Unless specified otherwise, the default game settings will be as follows:
  • Difficulty level: Noble (for all players)
  • Map: Continents
  • Size: Standard
  • Climate: Temperate
  • Sealevel: Medium
  • Era: Ancient
  • Speed: Normal
  • Options: None
  • Victory types permitted: All
  • Game Turn Limit: 0
  • City Elimination Limit: 0
Although I am open to the idea of playing PBEM games under different settings, it is highly likely that all spots will be filled for this game before any meaningful discussion about changing the settings can take place. If you are interested in playing a PBEM game with different settings, your best bet is to start your own. If you would like to play one of my PBEM games with different settings, send me a message and I will be open to discussion about it.

One question that frequently arises in PBEM games is whether reloading the game is allowed. Unfortunately I know of no way to regulate the number of times the game is reloaded, so any rule prohibiting reloading is impossible to enforce. Furthermore, reloading seems quite acceptable in the event of an error, e.g. if you make a mistake in moving your units. Because I am reluctant to support rules that cannot be enforced, and because I'm sure that I personally will have to reload at least one game due to an error, I do not have any rules regulating reloads. Ultimately, it's a question of what provides the most enjoyment for you as a player - if it feels like cheating to you, don't do it.

Please note that once you make contact with another player's civilization, your diplomacy options are completely unrestricted. Feel free to invent whatever deals you wish, regardless of whether they are enforceable from within the game or not.

My games tend to fill up quickly, so submit your request to play now!

heihojin

Hi Heihojin,

I'm interested! PMing details...

We will begin the game with the following eight players:
  1. heihojin - random leader
  2. Gnarfflinger - Saladin of the Arabs
  3. Kevinicus - Bismarck of the Germans
  4. portuga - Julius Caesar of the Romans
  5. jhauser - Asoka of the Indians
  6. Dandridge - Victoria of the English
  7. DogBoy - random leader
  8. Maquis - Louis XIV of the French
Thank you to all who replied! If you didn't make this game, watch for Game 20 to begin in January.

I will send the welcome e-mail and the first turn later today.

heihojin

I just sent the welcome e-mail and the 4000 BC turn. When you receive the welcome e-mail, please read it thoroughly and send me a reply indicating that you have received it.

Please remember to carbon-copy me on all turn sends and confirmation receipts for the first turn.

Enjoy the game!

heihojin

Hey there, that guy (Ani?) who just copied your (very, very nice) PBEM start-up thread has improved your process.. :) :)

He updated his first post to show all his player sign-ups, and more importantly for me, to show the game was now closed to new players.

Would love to get in on your (or Ani's) next game. Having such a switched-on hoster can only be massively beneficial to the game.

Argh said:
Would love to get in on your (or Ani's) next game. Having such a switched-on hoster can only be massively beneficial to the game.
Argh,

I'm planning on starting Game 20 sometime in January. While I typically do not accept sign-ups in advance for my games, I do maintain an e-mail list of people who may be interested in playing. I send an e-mail to that list immediately after posting the ad here on CFC.

If you would like to be added to the notification list, feel free to send me your e-mail address and I'll be glad to add you. Thanks for your interest!

heihojin

Top Bottom