Announcing heihojin's 26th PBEM game - Warlords!

heihojin

Prince
This game is now full. Thanks for your interest!

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Barbarians:

I am pleased to announce that I am now taking signups for my twenty-sixth PBEM game! This is a Civilization IV: Warlords PBEM game and requires the latest versions of both Civilization IV (currently v1.61) and Civilization IV: Warlords (currently v1.00) to participate.

So far, I have the following confirmed players:
  • heihojin (me) - random leader
  • Gnarfflinger - Tokugawa of the Japanese
  • cemason - Wang Kon of the Koreans
  • mickeyj - Shaka of the Zulu
  • blid - random leader
  • agemo - Hannibal of the Carthaginians
  • AlexCobra - random leader
  • Caesarian - random leader
If you would like to play, please send me a private message or e-mail with the following information:
  1. your CFC user name (required),
  2. your e-mail address (required),
  3. your leader preferences (please give your top three choices, if any),
  4. your physical location (required - city, state and country, or time zone relative to GMT),
  5. the password you would like for your turn (optional, although I strongly recommend it),
  6. your SMTP server address (optional), and
  7. any customized civilization information (Leader Name, Civ Description, Short Description, and/or Civ Adjective).
Because some of this information is sensitive, I strongly recommend you not post this information in a reply to this thread.

I will post replies in this thread and edit this original post as spots are filled. You may only request a spot for yourself; I will not accept any requests on someone else's behalf. Please note that if you wish to play a particular civilization that has more than one leader available (such as the Chinese), you must select a leader or I will simply assign one to you.

Please note that your choice of leader is considered public information at the start of the game. If you opt for a random leader, you are expected to inform me of the actual leader given to you immediately following your first turn.

The game will begin as soon as I have eight confirmed players. If you have not specified a leader preference by the time the game launches, you will be assigned a random leader. Spots for the game and leader preferences will generally be filled first-come, first-serve, as determined by the timestamp of the request; however, I may deliberately favor some requests over others in the interest of balancing my games.

Turn summaries will likely not be posted to this or any other forum, as I am far more interested in actually playing the game than with posting turns in a public forum.

Commitments

By requesting to play you commit to the following:
  • You agree to contact me (through e-mail, private message, a third party or other means) as soon as possible if you encounter technical difficulties or other circumstances that prevent you from fulfilling these commitments.
  • You agree to act in a courteous manner toward all other players at all times in your "out-of-game" communication.
  • You agree to abide by the general protocol for gameplay as set forth in the welcome e-mail, as well as any changes to the protocol I may make during the course of the game. (If you would like to peruse my general protocol for PBEM gameplay prior to signing up, let me know and I will happily e-mail it to you.)
  • You agree to inform me when you are going to be unavailable for a period of greater than 24 hours.
  • You agree to check your e-mail at least once daily (at least twice daily is preferred).
  • You agree to promptly respond to all messages - immediately, if possible.
  • You agree to complete and forward your turn within 24 hours of receiving it.
  • You agree to refrain from "in-game" communication with another player until making contact with that player's civilization. "In-game" communication refers to sharing information about your civilization or other players' civilizations, making deals, proposing alliances, etc..
  • You agree to play the game to completion unless personal or technical circumstances render it impossible for you to do so. This is no small commitment. The shortest amount of time it has taken any of my non-scenario PBEM games to complete is two years, and that was due to anomalous circumstances. You should expect this game to last at least three, and quite possibly four years. Rest assured that the game will finish - I am known for keeping my games running, and will not ever abort a game unless I am forced to by insurmountably adverse technical issues (such as severe file corruption).

Default Game Settings

Unless specified otherwise, the default game settings will be as follows:
  • Difficulty level: Noble (for all players)
  • Map: Continents
  • Size: Standard
  • Climate: Temperate
  • Sealevel: Medium
  • Era: Ancient
  • Speed: Normal
  • World Wrap: Cylindrical
  • Resources: Standard
  • Options: None
  • Victory types permitted: All
  • Game Turn Limit: 0
  • City Elimination Limit: 0
Although I am open to the idea of playing PBEM games under different settings, it is highly likely that all spots will be filled for this game before any meaningful discussion about changing the settings can take place. If you are interested in playing a PBEM game with different settings, your best bet is to start your own. If you would like to play one of my PBEM games with different settings, send me a message and I will be open to discussion about it.

One question that frequently arises in PBEM games is whether reloading the game is allowed. Unfortunately I know of no way to regulate the number of times the game is reloaded, so any rule prohibiting reloading is impossible to enforce. Furthermore, reloading seems quite acceptable in the event of an error, e.g. if you make a mistake in moving your units. Because I am reluctant to support rules that cannot be enforced, and because I'm sure that I personally will have to reload at least one game due to an error, I do not have any rules regulating reloads. Ultimately, it's a question of what provides the most enjoyment for you as a player - if it feels like cheating to you, don't do it.

Please note that once you make contact with another player's civilization, your diplomacy options are completely unrestricted. Feel free to invent whatever deals you wish, regardless of whether they are enforceable from within the game or not.

My games tend to fill up quickly, so submit your request to play now!

heihojin

I would like to play. If I can't be a primary you can sign me up as an alternate. You know my settings. My civ choices in order are: Viking, Zulu, Korea, Celts.

I updated the original post with the new confirmed players. DogBoy, one of my most enthusiastic players, will be an alternate for this game

heihojin

Well, I'd be happy to take on this game as India, as it looks like game 9 may be soon to implode.

Hi heihojin,
I'd like to play
Random leader
Will send an email with the other info

I updated the original post. Both DogBoy and Playboy will be alternates for this game.

heihojin

Hi

Please, can I be one of the players? I sent an e-mail with the required info, but it's all the same as in other your games, so in case it wouldn't make it's way to you, I'm asking you to count me in just like others:).

Alex.

I updated the original post. Who will be our lucky eighth contestant?

heihojin

Either all the fresh meat is off enjoying the Labor Day weekend, or they lack the intestinal fortitude to compete with the hardcore PBEM players. ;)

heihojin

heihojin said:
Either all the fresh meat is off enjoying the Labor Day weekend, or they lack the intestinal fortitude to compete with the hardcore PBEM players. ;)

heihojin

What I have found is either not a lot of people have Warlords yet, or not a lot of people who have Warlords want to PBEM.

Maybe I need to have a raffle or something. Anyway, there is still one spot left.

heihojin

I just sent the welcome e-mail and the 4000 BC turn. When you receive the welcome e-mail, please read it thoroughly and then send me a reply to say that you have received and read it. If for some reason you have not received the welcome e-mail, please let me know.

Please pay careful attention to the protocol for gameplay, particularly the parts about sending confirmation receipts. Remember that when you receive a turn, it is your responsibility to send a reply to the player who sent it to you indicating that you received it. When you send your completed turn to the next player, it is also your responsibility to ensure that that player sends you a confirmation receipt; if you don't receive one within 24 hours, the protocol states to re-send the turn and carbon-copy me.

For the first turn only, please carbon-copy me on all manual turn sends and confirmation receipts.

AlexCobra, blid, and Caesarian: Please let me know which leader you are each playing after you receive your 4000 BC turn.

Enjoy the game!

heihojin

Nice job on the 4000 BC turn. I'll take a three-day turnaround any day! I also sent an updated player list including the leaders that AlexCobra, blid, and Caesarian each indicated they are playing.

It is no longer necessary to carbon-copy me on confirmation receipts or manual turn sends, but of course it is still necessary to follow the protocol regulating them. The protocol helps the game run smoother, avoids delays, and makes my job as Administrator much easier.

Please use e-mail to communicate any concerns or questions you may have about the game. I generally prefer to reserve the forum thread for administrative matters, but smack-talking is allowed too. :)

Have fun!

heihojin

It appears that Firaxis has once again demonstrated their utter indifference to the PBEM community by releasing another patch that is not backwards compatible. I have been unable to load these games with the v2.08 patch, so it looks as though we are stuck with playing them in v1.00. This unfortunately will require most of us to maintain two separate installations of Civilization IV - Warlords, one for v1.00 (without the patch) and one for version 2.08 (with the patch).

Fortunately, doing so is not that complicated. If you intend to maintain two distinct installations, follow these instructions:
  1. First, create a copy of the Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\Warlords folder. Rename the copy to "Warlords v1.00".
  2. Next, rename your My Documents\My Games\Warlords folder to "Warlords v1.00".
  3. Launch your original installation of Warlords (not the copy you just made) to download and install the patch. This means that you will run the Civ4Warlords.exe file located in your Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\Warlords folder (not the one located in the Warlords v1.00 folder).
When you install the patch from your original installation, it will update your original installation to v2.08. It will also create a new Warlords folder in My Documents\My Games. Conveniently, your v2.08 installation will use this new My Documents\My Games\Warlords folder as the default, and your v1.00 installation will use the My Documents\My Games\Warlords v1.00 folder for its default.

You will probably want to create shortcuts to the Civ4Warlords.exe files in each of the folders for convenience in launching the separate installations.

I apologize for this inconvenience, but you can once again blame Firaxis for not giving a damn about its PBEM customers. This game must be played using v1.00, and apparently cannot be loaded using v2.08.

heihojin

*** I have now filled this opening. Thanks for your interest! ***

I have a current opening in this game for the position of Churchill of England. The current turn is dated 475 BC.

Please send me a private message with your e-mail address if you are interested in taking the position.

Top Bottom