Annoying other people in the building

Kyriakos

Creator
No, this isn't a treatise on how to annoy others, but a post about there being annoying people. In this building, for example, there is an ancient relic of a person who apparently sleeps during the day and watches tv and coughs during the night, and also has violent outbursts (yells at some others due to reasons).
Nothing is soundproof; it is an old building and all sound gets through. Unfortunately he lives right below my own apartment.
Not sure how i always manage to move into buildings that host the elderly and the sick (i suppose low cost of the rent wasn't by chance, right? :/ ).

-how are people in your own quadrant of space?

Have a heartwarming picture of the Kowloon walled city too:

Right now I have three neighbors: One to my left, one across the hall, and one on the next floor above. Below is the parkade, which is why I froze for much of last winter; it's a frigid wind tunnel down there and this is an old building with cranky heat.

The guy on the left is so quiet, I hardly ever hear him. Upstairs has been mostly quiet lately, but since I've heard no footsteps (there's no carpet in that suite), it might be vacant.

The people across the hall... Do babies ever cry enough to get laryngitis? They've got young kids who are never quiet when shrill screams will do. So many people are in and out of there, I'm starting to wonder if they're operating a home business (if so, I suspect it's either babysitting or hairdressing).

Oh, and to the right? Storage room/machine shop/whatever else the maintenance people do here that involves making or fixing stuff. So I've basically got a workshop next door, yay. :rolleyes:

Lots of maintenance going on... painting the walls in the hallway for the second time in three years, whether it needs it or not. Retiled the ground floor public hallways (it didn't really need it either). Did who-knows-what to the social room (it looks basically the same now as it did before).

The one thing that is desperately needed to be done is the one thing that's always an afterthought are the <censored> potholes in the parking lot. It's dangerous for the mobility challenged to get around out there, dangerous for anyone on foot if they're not really careful, and the handibus drivers have been complaining (as though I can do anything about it other than pass it on to the manager).

I'm told there will be something done this summer. When, I don't know. I hope it's soon. One of the people who has similar mobility issues to mine has said she'd love to be able to just take a walk around the neighborhood, but it's not safe to try to get to the sidewalk. Maybe this summer it will be safer.

On average I had not that much issues with neighbours
only 3 out of the 15 places I lived.
In one I had a neighbour that could not stand any noise I or my children made (I was there only during the weekend)
In one garbage bags were simply dropped down to the ground from a building your size and some people just pissed down their balcony.
In my current one there is again a neighbour, two floors down, who is overly sensitive for noise and goes to bed already at 22.00. Kind of a nuisance because that's the time most people start walking their dog, like I do, and there are a lot of dogs here, some of them quite vocal when they hear or see another dog.

On average I had not that much issues with neighbours
only 3 out of the 15 places I lived.
In one I had a neighbour that could not stand any noise I or my children made (I was there only during the weekend)
In one garbage bags were simply dropped down to the ground from a building your size and some people just pissed down their balcony.
I guess I should have mentioned that I live on the ground floor of a building with 6 residential floors plus the garbage/boiler room/parkade level. Thank goodness I'm not on the side of the building where I would have to look at (and smell) the dumpsters.

In my current one there is again a neighbour, two floors down, who is overly sensitive for noise and goes to bed already at 22.00. Kind of a nuisance because that's the time most people start walking their dog, like I do, and there are a lot of dogs here, some of them quite vocal when they hear or see another dog.
Dogs aren't allowed here, at least not if they're pets. By law they have to let service dogs in. Service dogs are legally allowed everywhere.

I have a neighbour that "tries" to play the guitar. I did play for over 20 years and I know what a guitar should sound like, be his doesn't. I actually trained myself to learn classical guitar without a tutor, so I know the hardship.

Every weekend he practises for hours and is not getting better. Some Aussie rock I think.

I approached him once and said to him: I hear you are playing the guitar all the time over weekends, do you need some training or exercises I can provide to you?

He looked me in the face: I have been playing for over 25 years, and I don't need any help! I'm good as it gets!

Then he slammed the door in my face, while me walking back to my house, figuring do I need earplugs or earmuffs.

Closest human being is about half a kilometer away, so not problem there. But still have some annoying neighbors though. These guys are all the day messing around:

Y these other guys can't stop partying all the night:

Fortunately it is only a summer thing. Damn holidays...

I have a neighbour that "tries" to play the guitar. I did play for over 20 years and I know what a guitar should sound like, be his doesn't. I actually trained myself to learn classical guitar without a tutor, so I know the hardship.

Every weekend he practises for hours and is not getting better. Some Aussie rock I think.

I approached him once and said to him: I hear you are playing the guitar all the time over weekends, do you need some training or exercises I can provide to you?

He looked me in the face: I have been playing for over 25 years, and I don't need any help! I'm good as it gets!

Then he slammed the door in my face, while me walking back to my house, figuring do I need earplugs or earmuffs.
Do you have local noise laws? If so, report him for violating them.

Not loud, it's like background noice and while I have an acute hearing, I can't charge him with my ear skills. :)

Unfortunately, I have the talent to find the most fantastic one tone in a music piece that make me dance, and the other way too. One failed note and I will cringe and think about it all day.

It is sad and insane, but the other hand plays better, when I find that note I will remember it for ever. Like one note in Roxette :It must've been love. One note. Makes my day. 2 bad notes kills the day, haha.

Or Phil Collins: Against all odds. Keepers forever, because of one note. I know, I am peculiar, :) I have quite a collection now of my ear-loving skills.

My downstairs neighbor smokes biblical amounts of pot. He used to do so on his terrace and in turn would make my own terrasse uninhabitable. It was so strong even inside the apartment it stank, and it stuck to bedsheets and stuff. I told him to stop and when he told me to F off I reminded him that accidents can happen to annoying people and their property. He probably assumed that because I'm Brazilian I meant business and stopped (I guess he bought a vaporizer or something).

Not long ago, I lived in a house that was full of people from a certain Eastern European country. Over the years, 6 of the 8 apartments in the house were occupied by these people. Now, I'm not a racist or anything, but these people behaved exactly like you would expect people from that place to behave if you were a person who thinks of other people as stereotypes. The dirtiest, most disgusting people you have ever seen, and on top of that, they all had half a dozen kids living in apartements that are meant to be single-households.

Because none of them had a job, or was even close to being employable on the job market, and because apparently compulsory school attendance was not compulsory for their children, there was not a single hour in the day when you didn't have someone yell through the whole house, bang against walls like an idiot, or did some other incredibly loud and annoying thing. Police was called on a regular basis (not by me though), but didn't really do anything to keep the noise down.

No longer do I live there, thankfully. Now I live in a house where the loudest thing we hear is "somewhat loud music" from the guy who lives above me once every few weeks or so. My other neighbor asked me a few times now to go up to him and tell him that his music annoys me, but it doesn't annoy me at all. I told him that a few times now, but he doesn't seem to understand. I guess next time I'll offer him a coffee and tell him the story of my old apartment in great detail, maybe then he realized that I really don't care and stops trying to use me as a proxy for his complaints.

There was a boy on the spectrum that lived above us a few years ago that would start every single morning by screaming bloody murder at the top of his lungs. You could almost set a clock by his screeching. I never understood why he did that.

The neighbors in my first apartment were literally trashy people. They would chuck food and furniture outside on the ground all day long. There was a reason why both buildings were infested with roaches. I was glad to leave that place.

Conversely, I was the annoying neighbor once. While I was still in school, we had friends over on a weeknight and had a small party. We must have pissed off our neighbors because they turned their vacuum on and left it stationary above our bed for 20 minutes at 6am. Oops.

There was a boy on the spectrum that lived above us a few years ago that would start every single morning by screaming bloody murder at the top of his lungs. You could almost set a clock by his screeching. I never understood why he did that.

Maybe that was a custom sound for his alarm? You can easily record yourself shouting and use it as alarm sound :)

My actual neighbours are fine for the most part. My landlords upstairs are the annoying ones but that's because she has a loud, progressively-raising-in-pitch voice that activates my inner-misophonia. She also turns on some sort of device every morning and night that vibrates the entire building and does so loudly for 10-15 minutes each time. Like you're standing next to a boat engine.

One house next door has a rescue pit bull from a Chinese fighting ring. He isn't so great. But no incidents yet.

The other house has a group of, uh, free spirits living in one of its suites who have loud play-music-poorly-while-smoking-weed parties every week in the backyard. But they stop those by 10 at night.

I guess my roommate counts as a neighbour since I don't interact with him. He listens to soccer loudly and spends 4-6 hours a day loitering/cooking in the kitchen. Also talks to himself all the time, which wouldn't be so bad but he also has a voice that activates my inner-misophonia. His voice has a high-pitched whine that cracks on every word.

There's also a crow in the neighbourhood that has been attacking everyone indiscriminately for the past three weeks. He's a loser.

Revenge of the crow...

If more crows come, and they don't view that crow as crazy, they will also attack people :)

Luckily, it's just the one crow. All the others are chill, and there's around 20-30 crows in the neighbourhood. I think this one crow made its nest way too close to human traffic and is now just inconsolably motivated by the drive to murder.

I never lived in an apartment. The worst I have to deal with is people mowing their lawns at ungodly hours. Though I'm usually up at those hours with kids now so I don't care.

At work though, quite a few really annoying eaters who eat at their desks, gum chewers, loud coughers always clearing throats, and just loud people in general. Open offices suck.

Having lived in my own home for almost thirty years, I haven't had any issues, but back when I was an apartment dweller. I had a neighbor that enjoyed Indian cuisine and the complex was always heavy with the smell of curry and I have not lost my dislike for that smell.

Having lived in my own home for almost thirty years, I haven't had any issues, but back when I was an apartment dweller. I had a neighbor that enjoyed Indian cuisine and the complex was always heavy with the smell of curry and I have not lost my dislike for that smell.

I love indian food but am not sure i'd want to smell it daily, but my neighbor is from pakistan and his stove fan vent is on the side next to mine. I haven't smelled anything yet.

No, this isn't a treatise on how to annoy others, but a post about there being annoying people. In this building, for example, there is an ancient relic of a person who apparently sleeps during the day and watches tv and coughs during the night, and also has violent outbursts (yells at some others due to reasons).
Nothing is soundproof; it is an old building and all sound gets through. Unfortunately he lives right below my own apartment.
Not sure how i always manage to move into buildings that host the elderly and the sick (i suppose low cost of the rent wasn't by chance, right? :/ ).

-how are people in your own quadrant of space?

Have a heartwarming picture of the Kowloon walled city too:

Dribble a basketball whenever he gets too loud.

Top Bottom