1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anonymous Sony Hackers Caught

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Jun 10, 2011.

1. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Spain arrested three hackers allegedly involved in the hacking of Sony Entertainment’s systems that left the PS3 network down for a month.

All the news sources seem to harp on the fact that these three hackers are leaders of Spain’s Anonymous group. One news outlet quoted a NATO official as saying Anonymous is a threat to international security (not cited as it was found on my mobile phone).

What do you think? Does this change your opinion on Anonymous? Does it make sense that a bunch of image board jockeys could take down Sony and Egypt’s NDP? Is the association with Anonymous overblown?

Choose your poison:

NPR
    CNN
    BBC

2. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

I only read the NPR story and while it says that their computer was used to hack into a Sony Network store, the police chief who arrested them specifically said they were NOT involved in the attack that brought down the whole network. So... uh... not sure where you're going with this?

From the CNN story:

Seems like the evidence that they were involved against Sony is spurious at best, this looks like the Spanish government arresting people for screwing with them and generating public support by feebly linking them to any major hacking incidents they can find.

And the BBC story gives no new evidence to the contrary, so I'm sticking to my interpretation.

3. BvBPL

Hmmm… Interesting. The Reuters story makes a stronger connection than the three I posted.

--

The initial story I read on my phone was posted 9:58 am EDT, so I guess it has been edited to downplay the SES downage connection since then by saying they had been involved in attacks on Sony, but not going as far as saying they were in the one that shut the service down.

My phone says “Spanish police alleged the three arrested ‘hacktavists’ had been involved in the recent attack on Sony’s PlayStation online game store which crippled the service for over a month.”

I guess there’s a little backpedaling there.

4. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

All of them? I'm pretty sure Anonymous consists of more than three people.

5. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

:lol:

leaders in anonymous.

6. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

All of the leaders of anonymous.

When I read sentences like that, it reminds me how clueless the media tends to be.

7. BvBPL

No more clueless than Anonymous itself is, contre.

8. Mr. Dictator

How can a loose (barely) organized group be clueless?

9. BvBPL

Well, you’ve got the Anonymous members who are legitimate activists and the ones who are attacking multinationals and nations. That’s like having the Sierra Club and a protection racket under one organization. It’s schizophrenic, and it harms the legitimate social activism that some members endorse.

Anyone who participates in the activism of an organization that also serves as a meeting place for people who want to derail elections is clueless. At least organizations like Greenpeace and ELF are upfront with their means; w/o a charter or real leadership Anonymous isn’t for anything because it just as easily be against it the next day.

10. Mr. Dictator

And god bless them.

Would that speak on anonymous, or our confrontational society?

11. BvBPL

Anonymous. People judge you by the company you keep. Anyone who joins an organization expressly without goals, charters, values, or leaders will be eventually be tarred with the same brush as the ne’er-do-wells that will also join such an organization.

12. Mr. Dictator

So? Should we all set our life course to make sure we never confuse people who only see black and white?

Everyone "in" anonymous has their own reasons for joining. Anyone who assumes all of them to be the same doesn't really have that credible a mind to win over anyways.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

This just means that they caught some dudes with LOIC (low orbit ion cannon) installed on their PCs.

14. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

And why, pray tell, is it that the good ones get "tarred with the same brush" as the bad ones instead of the other way around? Is this not a commentary on society as a whole?

15. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Anything is only as strong as it's weakest link?

16. BvBPL

Stand with criminals and you will be labeled a criminal. That’s life. That’s not a confrontational society that might have different mores in five years; it’s how human society works. People, as a group, will always attach to extraordinary events taken by some members and then associate them with the rest of the organization. One of the few defenses that organizations have against unpopular associations to establish public faces that defuse such concerns, things like rules that can be used against unruly members, values to stand by, and leaders who can make public statements. Anonymous doesn’t have any of that so the organization is fated to be considered a NATO security threat until it gets its act together and starts policing itself.

That’s how the world works and a bunch of idealistic image board jockeys aren’t going to change it.

17. Mr. Dictator

You show a deep misunderstanding of how anonymous exists.

18. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Man, I love when people try to talk about anonymous. Especially the newsmedia and old people. It's just... aww, they don't get it.

19. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I just smile and nod and say something like "That's lovely I'll put it on the fridge right now so everyone can see how good it is!"

20. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

Nope. From what little I know of them I don't like them. I picture a bunch of angsty teens and college kids getting their jollies from causing trouble; the kind of kids who are still in their "I'm immortal and I don't think about the consequences" stage.