1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anonymous Sony Hackers Caught

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Do they ? All old people ? All news media ?

2. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

The majority.

3. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Of course not all. They're just the most likely parties to speak without understanding.

4. Lambert Simnel

Ah. So if I say this is just the blind arrogance of youth, or a similarly broad generalisation, I can retreat later behind saying it's "the majority", or "most likely", without presenting any definition of my terms (e.g. "old"), any clarification of my value statements (e.g. "understanding"), nor, frankly, facts.

Good stuff.

5. LucyDuke

I'm not retreating, but I don't know what you want.

6. bhsup

bhsup Deity

So you're saying that every single person that attacked Sony did it individually, on their own, totally spontaneously at the same time, with no organizational direction whatsoever. Okay...

Someone, somewhere, at some point said "Let's attack Sony at x time." Maybe not analogous to a general leading his/her troops into battle, but it's a "leadership" nonetheless. But, speaking as an "old guy", I really don't care if they have a leadership or not. They can still track down all the little felons who are assaulting places online and get them started on a healthy breaking rocks regimen.

I'd say it's more accurate that "young people" don't understand law, order, civilization (no pun intended), and so forth. I mean, if we're gonna cast wide net accusations, mine here is a lot more accurate.

7. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

I'm sure the internet police are hard at work backtracing them as we speak.

Consequences will never be the same!

8. Lambert Simnel

I've PMed you, hoping it will be clearer (and, to be fair, you seem busy enough dealing some Fundies in the Useless thread on homophobia;))

9. zjl56

zjl56 Emperor

That's an unfortunate truth.. I have found a lot of reliability from sony, and a huge amount of my electronics are from them.. But the idiocy with which their company has taken in terms of leadership mean its time for them to go or split up as a company.

10. LucyDuke

A riot might be a better analogy.

11. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

The thing I found most remarkable is the low quality of the protection of these companies. Saving passwords in plaintext? Being vulnerable to SQL-injection? Seriously, have they been living under a rock for the last decade?

12. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

The thing is, even if we lived in a utopia where nobody ever tried to hack into a system or steal info from a database, those things would still be incredibly dangerous. Any user, if not through malice then by sheer stupidity, could delete or corrupt the database just by accident.

13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Apparently people have forgotten about troll regeneration.

14. Yui108

Yui108 Deity

15. Mallipeep

Mallipeep Warlord

If the laws are skewed towards the money and power, then they need to be broken for the civilization to improve from time to time. If law and order is all that matters you, try living in north korea.

Hacking peoples credit card info and using it to your advantage is a crime ( actual theft ) and i agree who ever is responsible for that one should have similar jail time as corrupt politicians, inside-traders and other business criminals get ( in proportion of the cash stolen ) - i.e few months or so.

Otherwise vandalizing a greedy corporation or corrupt politicians online is pretty much equivalent of egging someones house - yes the victim has to spend effort to clean the it off, but if the victim was the neighbourhood bully, then much of the community wont demand punishment since the egging was for the good of humankind.