Another African Civ?

Phoenix1595

Lord of the Two Lands
Hi all-

Just went on IGN, and saw that they updated their BtS gallery today. Low and behold, a new leaderhead is up for Sitting Bull and an unnamed AFRICAN leader. Looks like the last civ will definitely be from Africa.

Judging from the huts behind him, he is probably from East Africa, so I am assuming he is Ethiopian and not Swahili, as I was hoping (would have been elaborate, arabesque city behind him). Any idea who he is?

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/896/896712/img_4638084.html

FYI: Sitting Bull pic

Of course, as soon as I post, someone else posts! He is indeed the leader from Ethiopia, Zara Yaqob.

Looks like Africa on the Earth Map will not be empty much longer after all!

the First pic is Ethiopian, and here are the specs:

Leader: Zara Yaqob - Creative, Organized
Starting Techs: Hunting, Mining
Unique Unit: Oromo Warrior (Musketman), has first-level First Strike and is also immune to First Strikes, begins with Drill I and II promotions.
Unique Building: Stele (Monument), grants an additional +25% culture.

Of course, as soon as I post, someone else posts! He is indeed the leader from Ethiopia, Zara Yaqob.

Good! I wanted to see Ethiopia in for a long time. :band:

I just looked Zara Yaqob up on Wikipedia;

Zar'a Ya`qob (Ge'ez ዘርአ:ያዕቆብ zar'ā yāʿiqōb "Seed of Jacob," modern zer'a yā'iqōb) (1399–1468) was nəgusä nägäst (19 or 20 June[1] 1434–1468) of Ethiopia (throne name Kwestantinos I Ge'ez ቈስታንቲኖስ qʷastāntīnōs or Constantine I), and a member of the Solomonic dynasty. Born at Tilq in the province of Fatagar (now part of the Oromia Region, near the Awash River), Zara Yaqob was the youngest son of Dawit I and his youngest queen, Igzi Kebra.

The British expert on Ethiopia, Edward Ullendorff, stated that Zara Yaqob "was unquestionably the greatest ruler Ethiopia had seen since Ezana, during the heyday of Aksumite power, and none of his successors on the throne – excepted only the emperors Menelik II and Haile Selassie – can be compared to him."[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zara_Yaqob

Good! I wanted to see Ethiopia in for a long time. :band:

I just looked Zara Yaqob up on Wikipedia;

Zar'a Ya`qob (Ge'ez ዘርአ:ያዕቆብ zar'ā yāʿiqōb "Seed of Jacob," modern zer'a yā'iqōb) (1399–1468) was nəgusä nägäst (19 or 20 June[1] 1434–1468) of Ethiopia (throne name Kwestantinos I Ge'ez ቈስታንቲኖስ qʷastāntīnōs or Constantine I), and a member of the Solomonic dynasty. Born at Tilq in the province of Fatagar (now part of the Oromia Region, near the Awash River), Zara Yaqob was the youngest son of Dawit I and his youngest queen, Igzi Kebra.

The British expert on Ethiopia, Edward Ullendorff, stated that Zara Yaqob "was unquestionably the greatest ruler Ethiopia had seen since Ezana, during the heyday of Aksumite power, and none of his successors on the throne – excepted only the emperors Menelik II and Haile Selassie – can be compared to him."[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zara_Yaqob

Thanks for the post, Fox. Never heard of this guy 'til today. Still surprised that they did not use Haile Selassie, who is perhaps the most renowned of Ethiopia's leaders. Guess I don't know everything about history after all.

Thanks for the post, Fox. Never heard of this guy 'til today. Still surprised that they did not use Haile Selassie, who is perhaps the most renowned of Ethiopia's leaders. Guess I don't know everything about history after all.

Your not alone, I never heard of him until today either. I was expecting Haile Selassie too, since he is known as the religious symbol for God incarnate among the Rastafari movement.

the First pic is Ethiopian, and here are the specs:

Leader: Zara Yaqob - Creative, Organized
Starting Techs: Hunting, Mining
Unique Unit: Oromo Warrior (Musketman), has first-level First Strike and is also immune to First Strikes, begins with Drill I and II promotions.
Unique Building: Stele (Monument), grants an additional +25% culture.

Where'd you find these stats?

Anyway, this is cool if true. An African civ with a UU that isn't early game.

Ethiopa and the dutch both look good. Those Oromo Warriors could prove to be pretty nasty opponents . . . they have first strike AND are immune to them? Not to mention the two promotions giving two EXTRA first strikes and a reduction to collatoral damage taken. Nice.

I'm glad Firaxis once again chooses a really great leader, as opposed to a "widely known leader who lost badly". :goodjob:

Top Bottom