Another Canada controversy

Very interesting. I guess her goal was met (somewhat), but I very much don't like the precedent of creating stateless people by allowing them to give up citizenship into statelessness.

I thought she wanted to go back to the UK, I mean now that ISIS has lost its caliphate anyway.

I don’t agree with making people stateless either, even if they’re unsympathetic people it’s just tossing them off as someone else’s problem.

She’s been in the media a lot and wears western clothes now.

I'm sure thats a lot of comfort to her.
I'm just disturbed how quickly people who consider themselves liberals are to abandon principles like innocent until proved guilty are.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. I’m talking about her public profile as appearing to not be a follower of radical Islam anymore.

Very interesting. I guess her goal was met (somewhat), but I very much don't like the precedent of creating stateless people by allowing them to give up citizenship into statelessness.

I don’t like the precedent of a country enforcing citizenship contrary to what a person is consenting to. There isn’t a significant difference between a country refusing to waive citizenship that a citizen doesn’t want, and a country bestowing citizenship that a non-citizen doesn’t want.

In the former case, I expect that people with multiple citizenships where one state won’t allow them to drop a citizenship they don’t want are much more common, and should be given priority over people who voluntarily make themselves stateless.

Priority is one thing, but precedent is another. We're always terrible at priority.

A state making a person stateless should be a 'divide by zero' situation. A person making themselves stateless should be very, very hard. Being a teenager triggers the 2nd sentence conditions.

ISIS definitely created a lot of precedents. We saw people from around the world support an organization whose recruiting videos included murdering civilians.

As emzie said, though, it's hard to lift a finger even if I'm clucking my tongue.

Last edited:
She didn’t go through formal procedures did she? I honestly don’t know much about her story I’ve only seen more recent articles about her.

She didn’t go through formal procedures did she? I honestly don’t know much about her story I’ve only seen more recent articles about her.

She ran away from home, took a flight to Turkey then crossed the border into Syria. How she managed that at 15 I'm not sure.

Top Bottom